WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I'm wondering how I could possibly compress .wav and .ogg files on the account that they blow up the project filesize to insane levels, but I want to preserve their quality.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=Sated
I kinda dislike how there are so many (usually RMVX) games in this community that have awesome out-of-game artwork associated with them (usually promotional artwork), but that mostly use RTP (or RTP-style) in-game graphics. If you can take the time to produce all this custom artwork to promote your game, perhaps consider producing your own style of in-game resources as well?

I guess it doesn't help that the RMVX RTP is blech. Blechblechblech. But that's not really the point!
Then you have the opposite of that which is me splattering whatever shit everywhere and hoping it'll look slightly consistent.

author=Ratty524
I'm wondering how I could possibly compress .wav and .ogg files on the account that they blow up the project filesize to insane levels, but I want to preserve their quality.
Oggs are small and lossless if converted from an mp3 or wav in it's raw format.

It's the favorite of compressed music file types to this silly monkey.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Unless you're building your own engine, the only difference between an ogg and an mp3 is the spelling.
BizarreMonkey
author=LockeZ
Unless you're building your own engine, the only difference between an ogg and an mp3 is the spelling.
I gotta say, I'm impressed how open you are about sharing your easy to disprove and absolutely wrong opinion.

If I convert a 5 mb mp3 to an ogg on 0 (lowest) compression in wavepad, the filesize usually gets cut down to 1 or 2 megabytes at no distinguishable loss.

Coverting it back to an MP3 re-adds the filesize. Simply put I'm pretty sure Oggs remove unnecessary clutter, compressing MP3's below 128 kbs makes them sound wretched, which is simply because they store information oggs don't, such as file details and notes, thumbnail data and other things. But it keeps those things and lowers the musics quality instead.

Now, I could be wrong, wavepad could just be weird. But I remain unconvinced.

My friend and Lead Composer of the CCC: Jake "MoneyMenace" Gamelin dreads sending wavs or MP3's in comparison to oggs because they are larger and take longer to transfer from him to me.

That said, using mp3's for music in rpgmaker is excusable, using wavs is...

Well, it's stupid.
Wav files have the advantage of allowing the fastest loading times as there is no special programming needed to run them - however, they do have the largest file size of all as they're completely uncompressed. I think the same applies to .bmp for graphics.
.oggs also loop correctly in RPG Maker and can be set to loop at different moments (if you wanted an introduction to play once, for example).
BizarreMonkey
author=Housekeeping
.oggs also loop correctly in RPG Maker and can be set to loop at different moments (if you wanted an introduction to play once, for example).
I forgot to mention that!

Yeah, that's a thing too.

What I'm thinking right now is how I can best use DUAL-MONITORS to gam mak good.
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
Why do I keep adding more stuff on my game when I should be releasing the newest version.
if you'd like a small guide on how to set up looping metadata for an rpg maker game, this came up from a quick search and seems pretty well-done.

offsite tutorial, but hey.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Housekeeping

They don't in RMXP. :(
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
They can if you import the right audio scripts. Though, so can MP3s, if you import the right audio scripts.

BM: What you're saying is true, but you shouldn't be using that low of a bitrate in the first place unless your song is a 16-bit chiptune or something, where there's nothing to actually lose. At higher bitrates they're basically identical, with MP3 even winning out sometimes. The exact winner is gonna be different for each song. It's not worth caring about IMO.
Wondering if I should hint at a secret relationship in my game or just outright reveal it to the player. On one hand, the relationship is between two male characters who are trying to keep it secret since they're both already married so it'd make sense for the relationship to only be hinted at in incredibly subtle ways (and would require a lot of sleuthing by the player). On the other hand, it'd be kind of fun if this was something that everyone who plays the game would know about without having to go through dialogue without a fine-tooth comb.

In any case, I think having little mysteries like this in a story is really cool, and it's always nice to see the players come up with their own theories.
BizarreMonkey
author=LockeZ
They can if you import the right audio scripts. Though, so can MP3s, if you import the right audio scripts.

BM: What you're saying is true, but you shouldn't be using that low of a bitrate in the first place unless your song is a 16-bit chiptune or something, where there's nothing to actually lose. At higher bitrates they're basically identical, with MP3 even winning out sometimes. The exact winner is gonna be different for each song. It's not worth caring about IMO.
I was using 128 bitrate as an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45bh0DN5RWw
There's an example of the sort of music I use.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=blueperiod
Wondering if I should hint at a secret relationship in my game or just outright reveal it to the player. On one hand, the relationship is between two male characters who are trying to keep it secret since they're both already married so it'd make sense for the relationship to only be hinted at in incredibly subtle ways (and would require a lot of sleuthing by the player). On the other hand, it'd be kind of fun if this was something that everyone who plays the game would know about without having to go through dialogue without a fine-tooth comb.

In any case, I think having little mysteries like this in a story is really cool, and it's always nice to see the players come up with their own theories.

If it's not part of the main story, I'd say drop some hints here and there. No harm in it, right?

I'm wondering how immersion breaking it would be to remove doors from houses players can't enter. Because there are some you can and some you can't, putting doors everywhere would force players to bash their heads against every door hoping that one of them will open, which can get tedious pretty fast.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
You were right the first time: They're just towns with a few houses. I'm trying to cut back on unnecessary mapping since I'm so slow at it. I plan on having a few houses to explore and find stuff, but I'm not good enough at mapping to make varied and interesting homes. I could copy/paste interior layouts and just change a few things around, but that feels a bit lazy to me.
So, while I'm aiming for the player to be able to have some truly despicable people on their team, terrorist demon-blooded, outright evil vampire baronesses, etc...is having an actual Nazi (Not Wehrmacht) vampire too far?