WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I mean I guess you have to make something last. If you make each enemy and each piece of equipment as you finish the area that it goes in, then you'll be making the last ones around the time you're also done making all the areas. If you're making a linear JRPG that's probably not even a bad method, I guess.

I'm thinking I should spend more than 1 hour a week on my own RPG Maker game again now that I've run out of community games to help with. Geez, it's been almost a year and a half since I did anything serious on it.
unity
You're magical to me.
Yeah, exactly. I have a rough list on a spreadsheet file, but equipment, like spells and enemies, change a lot between the planning stages and the implementing stages.

Can you think of anything that might help motivate you, LockeZ? I know I'm far from the only person who wants to see more of your game.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
"What to use pommels for."
author=unity
You know you're getting close to being done when you've finished all the equipment for your game. Ah, such a nice feeling ^_^
Equipment is actually one of the first things I usually completely finish. Granted, I experiment quite a bit so it varies from game to game, but you get my point, heh.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
So I want to make a platformer in either stencyl or MMF but I wouldn't know where to begin with either of those programs, let alone do I have any idea of what kind of platformer to make. >_<
BizarreMonkey
author=Ratty524
So I want to make a platformer in either stencyl or MMF but I wouldn't know where to begin with either of those programs, let alone do I have any idea of what kind of platformer to make. >_<
If you have a bee in your bonnet about making a platformer but dont wanna put in effort incase you, like you, have no discernable elements or ideas, you can always try one of those mario level makers to either: A. Realize this is stupid and kick it out of your system
B. Be inspired to make more platformers.

The Broforce level editor might be good too, never used it, but broforce has a lot crisper cleaner gameplay than oldschool mario does.

There's also the Little big planet games, though personally I wouldn't recommend this unless you're good at platformers and feel like spending hours unlocking everything.
So, I finally got the official version of rm2k3. That's it! I'm clean now! I owe you nothing more, Entrebrain! You hear me? Nothing! We good? We good! Alright. Now, in order to make my game 100% legit I have to get rid of all the rips and stuff. I can make my own graphics, and it's not difficult to find CC music on the internet, but I have no idea what to do about the sound effects... Do you guys create your own sound effects, or do you get them from somewhere? Can you recommend me any tools or sites?

I don't even know why I am doing this. I should be learning to code instead of remaking my old work for the 100th time. xP
BizarreMonkey
author=alterego
So, I finally got the official version of rm2k3. That's it! I'm clean now! I owe you nothing more, Entrebrain! You hear me? Nothing! We good? We good! Alright. Now, in order to make my game 100% legit I have to get rid of all the rips and stuff. I can make my own graphics, and it's not difficult to find CC music on the internet, but I have no idea what to do about the sound effects... Do you guys create your own sound effects, or do you get them from somewhere? Can you recommend me any tools or sites?

I don't even know why I am doing this. I should be learning to code instead of remaking my old work for the 100th time. xP
For sound effects. There's http://eng.universal-soundbank.com Those are all public domain.
Debating on what major feature to implement next, now that I've got a public release out. Don't really want to add more characters/missions until I get feedback on what I have.
unity
You're magical to me.
Oh wow, that's rough! >.<; Sorry to hear that!
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Progress on Konae's Investigations was kinda slow for a bit. Having a test-build out by the end of the week still seems plausible, though!
BizarreMonkey
author=Sated
Also: http://www.freesound.org

You need to make an account, but making an account is free.
I didn't mention those because you do have to credit the creators, and it isn't public domain, most of those are under Creative Commons, which means... if I'm not incorrect (teehee double-negatives) that the commercial use of said sounds is against the laws of fair use without credit.

I could easily be wrong, though. I always make sure to credit the fellas whom I grab from their when making trailers and such, it's just good practise to do so. I also provide a link to the sound by said author when it comes to video descriptions.

universal-soundbank is ripe to reap and use regardless of credit and circumstance, which is why I recommended it. It is definitively public domain.

I had no plans of making anything huge with MV, but with Yanfly announcing the optimization benefits and showing a video of it, it makes me tempted to use it for P:A. (or PFC) They also have a baseline converter now, and since PA's core is done through events, and that it would now have mouse support, it's tempting.

Just need some simple scripts and to get Omegas7 on converting the only one I'd really need converted, and he'd be in the best position to do so, given that it's a script he made from scratch at my request.

If I can set mouse commands to shoot, shadowdash and quick-select oh goooood.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Sated
Ripped a bunch of graphics for use in Sim RPGMaker 95, only to find out that all the graphics in a game have to use the same 256-colour palette as the system graphics do!

The colour errors were gloriously amusing, but what a waste of time that was >_<

So it's kind of like developing for an SNES system?
BizarreMonkey
Thinking of how my coders and I can utilize RPGMV to make PFC's gameplay as solid as possible. The inclusion of mouse support is the biggest thing buzzing, I'm hopeful that the mouse-wheel will be able to be used to scroll through weapons on the fly. 'shoot' will likely be mapped to left click, shadow dash to right click, and then W, A, S, D will be used for movement, while the left/right arrow keys can be used for powerup switching.
we can have q for lockstrafe, and shift can stay as the dash key.

Using powerup could be middle mouse click if that's supported like it should be.

I've been thinking of scriptings/plugins we could develop to most utilize the new mouse features of MV, such as some weapon types like grenade (Think the Zodiac), actually jump to (move route based on player x/y versus mousepointer dest x/y) land on the designated square clicked. The Bomb Glove, a new weapon type inspired by Pep's redesign, would be a rolling weapon, basically moves forward and explodes after a short time. Thinking of having weapons that you can also follow the mouse, maybe an ideal design for the Chakram weapons (Like Recusant's Glaive) instead of being random death storms.

The change to Javascipt is something I'm very optimistic about, mostly because it's geared towards gaming, where as Ruby is most commonly geared towards applications and extensions. I know why they used ruby, which is to say, it's a japanese programming language, but I can see why they'd jump to javascript.

Looking forward to work with a larger resolution, and being able to expand on the current systems. Heavily considered things are:

Weapons that level up, from V1-V5. I've already got a basic idea of how to event this in my head and to optimize it. Despite the amount it may be optimized, beyond what VX Ace / VX is, I still want to do my best to make it as friendly as possible.

Also making some large changes to sound design, the Shotgun is a bit too grating to use often, and I want to add a reload sound after it's shot. Wanna also make it more 'bursty' and less slow. Think like the blast cannons in Ratchet and Clank.

What my team and I have been discussing is telegraphs, we have these to a good degree already. But ultimately the desired effect is to have them actively showing where you'll shoot whenever it's applicable. Not just after you've shot. For this it's likely we will use scripts to draw transparent color overlays over tiles of effect.

I'm also going to see if I can get a toolshed script, in other words, in one map have all the weapons, powerups and info stored, and then just pull from that in any other map they are called upon, this should make maps less laggy and my job as an eventer much, MUCH easier. Instead of having to copy down every map and then having to copy paste an event whenever a big change is made, now I could simply update them in the Toolshed and only have to do that once.

I'm hoping the picture limit will be raised, I though 100 would be more than enough but when you have a hud, quick selects, powerup bars, boss huds, parallaxes, overlays and error messages that have to pop up, you begin to realize those run out pretty quickly.

That said I artificially limited myself to having only 50 which I easily could have corrected due to needing some showable below events, such as some levers where I wanted a scrolling parallax and a level below events / characters. Or when I want complex stage mechanics, such as Saxxis' boss fight where the centre ledge collapses in phase two. Thinking now I could easily get away with only have 90-100 pictures that show below events.

Eitherway, MV has renewed my enthusiasm for RPGmak