WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

author=LockeZ
This is what you skullknockers need to be doing with your map design:

spend more time in photoshop for pretty promo art for your unfinished game?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
It will be the most impressive abandonware on the site
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
Oh jeez, I caught wind of that video thanks to a friend on RMMV, gotta give props.

I'd just never spend that amount of time on things... though to be fair I'm also one of those rare fellas who commits the cardinal sin of actually completing games they post.

/me looks at Hellcat and Exile only to remember I am a hypocrite.

As for what I'm thinking? Well, mostly about where to go from here. All up I've got 7 IP's now, I'm not counting the Planet's Cry abomination. I could put the rest up on here. We'll see.

I've been playing Dragomon Hunter so my mind is like gel right now as I've been absolved into this obnoxiously cute universe.

E: The game crashed so I've finally been able to pull myself away.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
lockez why did they redraw the most boring and aggressively terrible world map in the series' history? at least do 1 or 3, which have intelligently designed overworlds (1 for its visual design and use of npcs describing locations based on geography; 3 for how you can ride around the entire world on a chocobo + the lore of it being the one continent that hasn't been swallowed by the abyss or w/e).

I personally am thinking about how i need to do other maps because i've been avoiding my project more than necessary due to a really annoying forest. i need to just do some interiors or whatever to get my willpower back.
unity
You're magical to me.
Currently making animations for a final boss battle. I'm hoping the battle will turn out at least a little bit memorable ^^
That's pretty much how I always map.
I was thinking. Before I decided that I was going to work on Steel Spirit SaGa again, I started work on another game called Solitaire Unravelling. So far it's the intro and 4/5ths of the starting city, do I release it, or wait until I have something more substantial?
Planning my story and dungeons for this project is very hard for me. (It's one where you're a member of a gang of airship riding bandits).

On one hand, I want to make sure I don't overscope. Which is hard, since each "mission" I make (despite not having any open-world-map-exploring), has two very involved phases. The "Town" phase where you gather money and intel for the upcoming mission, and the "dungeon" phase where you raid a place looking for a plot-critical maguffin. With each phase having multitudes of unique locks and pockets to pick and patrols to dodge. So I want to keep the overall number of them down. Like, no more than 3 missions overall, maybe 4 if the last one has no town phase.

I ALSO want a secondary arc involving a recurring group of people who are trying to stop you, with a particular set of events cementing what they stand for, and...other stuff.

Trying to reconcile these two concerns in a natural way, and making the events happen without them being too fast and unnatural, while also ensuring you don't fight the group too often since that feels like it'd kinda cheapen them...Ugh, this is a hard writing vs scoping concern. :(

I'm probably going to side on the "scope" side of the internal argument, but still...
Withlove
Fangee, who crawled out of the abyss
Getting my feet wet with RPG Maker MV, I'm trying to just make a dumb RTP game with the cover art characters.

Ideas include strange time travel / parallel universe shenanigans and the main character being B-2 (the hovering robot).
I want Rob to basically be the Vergil of the game and have a dumb final battle between robots on a tower while playing Rules of Nature from MGR.

...maybe not that absurd, but you know. Babby's first RPG Maker games shouldn't be all that ambitious.
I'm spending more time on what kind of accessories and recipes the player gets instead of working on the actual game... Oops.
At least it's better than nothing?
How to better pace myself on my next project. I experienced some serious burnout on the last one and I feel like it caused me to rush it quite bit to get it over and done with.
author=PCTRASH
I'm spending more time on what kind of accessories and recipes the player gets instead of working on the actual game... Oops.
At least it's better than nothing?

I do that a lot too. It IS important design stuff that's good to get out of the way sooner than later, so you don't end up implementing shitty design, and having to redo stuff you've already built.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
Too much to list, my mind is buzzing all the time as I rebuild and optimize the Perseverance Engine in MV.

Right now I'm at weapon select, thankfully thanks to some rad input scripts, I've not only got them from 1-0 on the keyboard, but I've got A and D for scrolling them, too!

Keys are still a work in progress, currently the mouse support is in limbo until a competent plugin comes along for it.

Devving hard to the Undertale track: Finale... so good!
As someone whose only game engine experience has been with RPG Maker, trying to make a RPG in GameSalad is really frustrating and terrible.
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
I'm constantly thinking about how I'll design my game's world for it to feel expansive and inviting for exploration (said game still doesn't have a project page since I still didn't start turning it into a game).
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Okay, I'm gonna die in a ditch take a break before I upload it, but, the latest run-through of Konae's Investigations has come clean!

author=Sated
author=Gretgor
I'm constantly thinking about how I'll design my game's world for it to feel expansive and inviting for exploration (said game still doesn't have a project page since I still didn't start turning it into a game).
I've been thinking about this for my RTP game. The key concepts that I've boiled it down to are these:

• The world has to go on around the heroes, they can't be the only ones going around and swinging swords at things.
  • Any quest that isn't part of the main storyline still needs to have a tangible impact on the game world.
  • Not all random encounters need to be battles (this is super important and how I am going to achieve this is going to take soooo much work but would be awesome if I could pull it off.
  • Finally, quests don't necessarily need to be linear. If your heroes happen to drop in on some smuggling going down, they can still go tell the guard about it, and get a complete quest as if they'd been asked to go and do it. Or maybe without being told about it, the quest plays out differently as if you got there "too early" or something like that. The world has to be fluid.

It's a lot of work to do these things though, and a hell of a lot of playtesting once you get enough of them into a game. That's what I've been thinking about anyway...

Tip for the random encounter thing: You can try and make nonviolent encounters still run off of combat mechanics in some way.
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
author=Sated
author=Gretgor
I've been thinking about this for my RTP game. The key concepts that I've boiled it down to are these:

• The world has to go on around the heroes, they can't be the only ones going around and swinging swords at things.
  • Any quest that isn't part of the main storyline still needs to have a tangible impact on the game world.
  • Not all random encounters need to be battles (this is super important and how I am going to achieve this is going to take soooo much work but would be awesome if I could pull it off.
  • Finally, quests don't necessarily need to be linear. If your heroes happen to drop in on some smuggling going down, they can still go tell the guard about it, and get a complete quest as if they'd been asked to go and do it. Or maybe without being told about it, the quest plays out differently as if you got there "too early" or something like that. The world has to be fluid.

It's a lot of work to do these things though, and a hell of a lot of playtesting once you get enough of them into a game. That's what I've been thinking about anyway...

Those are nice ideas. My game is not exactly an RPG, but I'm going to think about ideas #1, #2, and #4, which are interesting ways to keep things engaging and give the player control over the game's flow even in non-combat adventure games.

I'm currently thinking about how to make test playing with loved ones work in an unbiased form (close to impossible, unfortunately :( ).