WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Feeling a really heavy itch to start a new project in spite of the ones I still need to finish, I got started on making a short "battle arena" type of game on RM2k.

The basic concept I have is that you're a single player who fights through a series of monsters/people battles to progress, but the twist is that you would interact with people before battle to influence your progression and opponents in a tourney bracket, and each battle would rate you based on how well you did. How to do it all is something I'm still trying to figure out.

I started on three main classes and weapon types, though. I would like some advice on how to go about them.

(These classes are in quotes because I'm thinking of changing their names to something more general, because I want to deviate from a "restricted" class system to one that has a bit more flexibility in stat progression and whatnot.)
"Warrior" - Have stat bonuses in attack and defense; can equip swords and battleaxes.

"Mage" - Have stat bonuses in MP and mind (does "mind" cover both magic attack and defense?); can equip daggers and staffs/wands.

"Theif" - Have stat bonuses in agility and mind; can equip daggers, swords and bows.

And now for the weapon types:
"Shiv" - This is the default weapon everyone starts out with until they get enough money to purchase a real weapon.

"Sword" - Swords are one-handed and give decent physical attack damage, at the exchange of a minor decrease in agility. Being one-handed, they can be paired with shields to make for a balance in both offense and defense.

"Daggers" - They're like swords but they are weaker. However, they don't take away any points off your agility, making them ideal for the "fast attacker" type of class (catered to thieves, basically).

"Battleaxes" - An exclusive equipment item to warriors. They dish out the highest damage of any weapon, but they are two-handed, disabling the use of shields and have heavier agility point penalties. The point is that you are getting a lot of attacking power in exchange for being vulnerable.

"Staffs/Wands" - Exclusive to mages. They offer the weakest attacking stats, but come with larger bonuses to intellegence to make them ideal for the "caster" type of playstyle. I'm not sure whether to make them two-handed or not in order to restrict the player from equiping shields with them.

"Bows" - Exclusive to theives. They offer roughly the same damage as swords but with a higher critical hit ratio and no agility penalties. They would be the only weapon to decrease accuracy, however, making them somewhat of a gamble to use in battle.

Thoughts?
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
My game Intelligence and it's tilesets...

gross...

There's absolutely nothing that justifies using the RTP in this game, maybe I should just use my own tilesets I made for M:R since the majority of the game is in that cel-shaded style.
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
I'm thinking about the fact that there's no excuse for not having started to put my project into RPG Maker anymoree.
BizarreMonkey
author=Gretgor
I'm thinking about the fact that there's no excuse for not having started to put my project into RPG Maker anymoree.
Procrastination is a powerful force.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Today marks the 1 year anniversary of the release of Feral Solidarity. Yay.
Gretgor
author=BizarreMonkey
author=Gretgor
Procrastination is a powerful force.

I know right :(
BizarreMonkey
Looking forward to working on a new game, the idea this time around is a pirate one, based on the Space Monkey Pirates of Tekerlek, who have a little exposition in Menagerie, already.

Basically most of my games tend to focus on a couple of planets or locations. In Intelligence it's Earth and Gaseous, in Hellcat it's Hell and Heaven, in menagerie its Nadine and Galaxia. I've got games planned for each planet. That's 10 games not including Earth based games, which Perseverance and Exile factor into.

Flight is an upcoming game based on Spriteopia.
Drakesoul (NNF) is based on Planet Draik. Only things this project has so far is a PH name and planet.
Galaxia: Total Coverage Is a dream project that will greatly elaborate on Galaxia.
Justicaar was originally going to be set on a fantastical version of Egypt, now it's very likely to be set on Zirkov which does have an influence from Egyptian architecture.
Gemmed is a hypothetical project set on Haven. Villain was already concepted.

I got plenty more game ideas dontchu worry.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Ratty524
Feeling a really heavy itch to start a new project in spite of the ones I still need to finish, I got started on making a short "battle arena" type of game on RM2k.

Thoughts?

I really like the idea to influence the future battles through events and/or dialog, and every now and then I really like to settle down with a game like this, pick some classes and have fun. Sounds good ^_^
@ Ratty524 – You know, the first thought that popped into my head after reading all of that was this 2k game that I used to play way back then called “Sky Tower Arena” where you got to choose a team of four different individuals with different types of classes and battle your way throughout the tower against other teams of four with some random story elements thrown in for good measure depending on who you selected for your team. It was a pretty cool game, and if this idea of yours is anything like that I would definitely give it a try if you manage to make it, Ratty524. ^^

@ BizarreMonkey – You know, one of these days I have to try out and review one of your games just for good curiosity sake. (Maybe sometime in 2016?)

So I went backwards and decided to add in some more Rule Adjustments (remember this?) for Monopoly and up the amount of different possible settings from three pages to a now whopping five whole pages, so that’s now 45 different possible combinations that you can now toggle off or on or not. Some of these new rules that I’m planning on adding in are various things like not having to own a full set of properties of the same exact color set to build any houses or hotels, not collecting any rent from any player if you’re currently stuck in jail (frozen assets rule), and having the ability to travel from one railroad to another if you own more than one railroad and if you happen to land on either of them during your turn. I actually wanted to have a railroad travel system for Monopoly 2 instead of the first game if I ended up doing it someday, but I’ve come up with another creative way on how to do it – so in you go, now.

I decided to go back and add in some more additional rule changes because a lot people kept bringing this stuff of “Hey, does your version have this? Does it have that? Oh, you gotta add in that; we play with that type of thing all the time”. So I after a while I thought to myself, “Hey, why not make the people happy,” so in you go! I also recently discovered that Parker Brothers and Hasbro have added in some new house rules that were voted in by the fans for their 80th anniversary version of the game last year, so things like “See The Sights” and the “Lucky Roller” rule, where you collect $500 if you roll double ones (is this really a thing?) have also been added in. (Hey, might as well go for gusto, here.)

I mean, I’m not adding in every single possible house rule in the world here, as there are some editions I would really like to save for a possible Monopoly 2 in the future. Plus I do have my limits, and I am already pretty far into the game already and really don’t wanna drag it out any longer that it already has been. I mean, I do kinda wanna work on something else sometime in the future, lol. Still, it was something that was bothering me quite a bit these past couple of weeks, so I decided to go back and just add them in there. :)

As for possibly adding in some new Board Types, I think I’m overall happy with just 8, although I could add in some more…maybe bump it up to 15 in total and have a random option as the 16th in the bottom right hand corner, so, like, two whole rows of different boards, but then I would have to resize everything, and I dunno if I wanna do that… Still, thinking about it.

I’m also thinking about adding in some new music, maybe bumping up the total amount of gameplay themes from 20 to 30. I don’t wanna add in too much, as the file size could jump up quite a bit from where it’s at right now, but it is something that I’m currently thinking about.

And I’m also considering adding in one more menu screen before it ultimately takes you to the Rule Adjustments section where you can select what type of Rule Variations that you want to have beforehand. So if you wanna play with the classic, official Monopoly rules, you’d select “Classic Rules” and all the rules would be set to the classic edition of the game. “Custom Rules” will basically set up your own variation of your own rules that end up getting saved if you end up selecting it again, and “Random Rules” will randomly select a bunch of various different wacky settings for a clusterf*ck of a match. Of course, you can still manually toggle stuff regardless of what you select, which in some ways make this whole process redundant – but we’ll see! If it looks good enough and works with the rest of the menu transitions that I already have and doesn’t look out of place then I don’t mind adding it in!

There’s still a lot of work left to do, but I’m slowly chugging along. I’m just happy that this game is picking up steam again and is becoming fun to work on again! There was a brief period of about a month or so that I was starting to get mentally drained from this game, but it seems like things are all in order again. Just gotta keep ADDIT and this game will eventually get done…(again).
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
@Addit: Ooh! I'll go check this game out!

Onto your thing, would I be right in saying that it is a sin to not include this music?

My nostalgia would scream if I heard this in your game. ^_^
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
It occurs to me that if you're doing a game where stats don't matter, for whatever reason (horror games seem to come to mind), you don't need anything in the character section of the database. One might be able to have an empty party too. I mean, you'd probably have to use Move Event to change the graphics of the player character, but, I think it might work!

Though, I have no idea what spawned this train of thought.
Waiting for some sort of creative inspiration to come before I dive back into my new project, because I'd rather not force myself into it and rush things. But thankfully I haven't set any sort of deadline yet so I can procrastinate wait for that spark to hit me.

I think I'll spend this time playing other peoples' games and seeing what's hot in the community because that's something I need to do more of.
Marrend
author=SgtMettool
Waiting for some sort of creative inspiration to come before I dive back into my new project, because I'd rather not force myself into it and rush things. But thankfully I haven't set any sort of deadline yet so I can procrastinate wait for that spark to hit me.

Inspiration isn't a spark. It's a large hammer, wielded by your gammak Muse, ready to strike down at any time of it's choosing!
author=Ratty524
Onto your thing, would I be right in saying that it is a sin to not include this music?

My nostalgia would scream if I heard this in your game. ^_^

We’ll see. But if I don’t happen to include it in for whatever reason, you could always just mod the game yourself and put in your own music and replace the current songs in the music folder with whatever you want, since I’m not going to Molebox this project like I did with the original, 2009 version, so you can go nuts and add in whatever you want!

Although, the prospect of adding various other songs from past Monopoly games, such as that one, does intrigue me a little. Hmmm…
Marrend
I was taking a look at the dialog for Matusmori Days, trying to figure out if I ever gave Masako's mom a name. As far as I can tell, I didn't, but, the thought occurs to me that I might have used her name to label the appropriate event in the editor.

Though, given this situation, it might not be that important, and can essentially make something up.
I'm starting to worry that Brave Hero Yuusha's graphical style is a little too close to Dragon Quest, the series it aims to pardoy, and am worried that it comes off as a knock-off. I worked hard to not have it be too close, but I'm hoping I did enough to make it it's own thing.
Marrend
I probably need to give Konae's Investigations at least one more test on my end before I re-package it for external testers that don't technically exist yet.
Gretgor
Wondering if my non-RPG game should include an overworld or some other way to explore.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Gretgor
Wondering if my non-RPG game should include an overworld or some other way to explore.

If it works for the game, I don't see why not. ^_^

I have a question. Does selecting the difficulty mode in a game always need to come directly when you select a new game, or would it be weird to show the prologue and then have the player select a difficulty?