WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

unity
You're magical to me.
author=Sated
@unity: I don't think it would be weird to place it after the prologue. There are a lot of games that allow on-the-fly difficulty changes so I can't see how what you're proposing would be particularly jarring,

Cool! ^_^ That's when you first have control over the character and you can change the difficulty to whatever you want after that from the menu, too.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
In fact, I think having the difficulty setting after the prologue could be advantageous depending on if said prologue has any battles or not. Players could evaluate how hard the battles are and lower the setting when prompted, instead of taking a wild guess before they even had the chance to judge for themselves.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
SgtMettool
I'm starting to worry that Brave Hero Yuusha's graphical style is a little too close to Dragon Quest, the series it aims to pardoy, and am worried that it comes off as a knock-off. I worked hard to not have it be too close, but I'm hoping I did enough to make it it's own thing.

Your game starts the parody and cool stuff almost instantly. By the time the castle starts falling apart, I think it's pretty clear.
unity
You're magical to me.
Yeah, I agree. I think it's fine as-is, and still has it's own charm with the varied color pallet.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
It occurs to me that I should probably do at least one more round of testing for Konae's Investigations. Also, I should probably do a back-up of my stuff soon-ish.
unity
You're magical to me.
Backups are always good ^_^

Hey, would it be confusing to players if a healing item had a description like this? "Heals 15% of health +35" Or am I better with saying something like "Cures light wounds?"
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
I think either would be fine! My base rule would be that if the game requires you to play around precise numbers often, you should give the players precise information to work with. But, if battles in your game aren't usually decided by just a few HP, "Cures light wounds" would be simpler and work just as well.
unity
Hey, would it be confusing to players if a healing item had a description like this? "Heals 15% of health +35" Or am I better with saying something like "Cures light wounds?"

Depends on the audience you're shooting for, I suppose. I would prefer the numeral description so I can have an idea of what items to use/buy.
unity
You're magical to me.
I think I'll shoot for the numbers, then. I just wanted to make sure "Heals 15% of health +35" didn't sound too confusing, that most people will understand that they recover 15% of the character's max health plus 35 extra, without going "What the hell does that mean?" XD
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=unity

As a concept, I know what you're aiming for in regards to the numbers. However, it sounds a little awkward. Maybe something like, I dunno, "Restores the target's HP by 35 + 15% of the target's max HP"?
Just say "Recovers 35 + 15% HP". Players will figure it out after the first use if they didn't already.
unity
You're magical to me.
Thanks! ^_^
author=Craze
SgtMettool
I'm starting to worry that Brave Hero Yuusha's graphical style is a little too close to Dragon Quest, the series it aims to pardoy, and am worried that it comes off as a knock-off. I worked hard to not have it be too close, but I'm hoping I did enough to make it it's own thing.
Your game starts the parody and cool stuff almost instantly. By the time the castle starts falling apart, I think it's pretty clear.

author=Sated
The parody is more effective because of the graphical style.

author=unity
Yeah, I agree. I think it's fine as-is, and still has it's own charm with the varied color pallet.

Thank you everyone. I suppose we all need a little reassurance every now and then. :)

So, I was chipping away at a game in the same vein but I'm thinking I should wait for MV's plugin library to stabilize before I do any heavy work. I'm thinking of doing a small side project in Ace in the meantime.
Right now I'm thinking about how hard it is to post game developments when all you have is placeholder art. Especially ugly (and only partially functional) placeholders.

I have a pretty impressive bit of progress going on in my next project but so much of it is "internal" that visually showing it would seem more like a turn-off to viewers. Anyone ever feel this way?
Craze
My current project is kinda number-fiddly but I'm using terms like "light," "moderate," "high, "very high" and "extreme" for 0.5x/1x/1.5x/2x/3x because I explain them as one of the hints in the info feed at the start of dungeons. My numbers are also very transparent -- 40 Magic means your "moderate" spell hits will deal 40 damage, for example. Your accuracy and base crit rate are your Speed stat as a percent, a high heal will recover HP equal to 1.5x your Vitality, etc. Simple stuff that allows for more complex interactions to make sense!

So, tl;dr: I'm fine with "heals lightly" or "cures light wounds," especially if you clarify what that means somewhere (even if it's a FAQ.txt in the main directory).

edit: what I'M currently thinking about is calamari as an offensive item
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
Currently thinking about how to remain motivated to work on game projects. I'm beyond lazy right now, and I wonder what would motivate me to go on.
Craze
do something fun until you get your groove back or you go bankrupt
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Play and give feedback on other people's games. You'll make them happy, and maybe even get some inspiration for your own projects. There's the added bonus of making yourself more visible to others and see what projects you have, and increases the chance of your own games getting downloads and feedback.