WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

author=Gretgor
Currently thinking about how to remain motivated to work on game projects. I'm beyond lazy right now, and I wonder what would motivate me to go on.

Sometimes you must force yourself to work. Set aside an hour and do nothing other than work on your game. You may find that, by the end of the alloted hour, you don't want to stop working.

Professionals are obviously forced to work every day whether they like it or not. They're getting paid for it, but still.
Thinking of making a short game with a friend based off of this song:

The main character's name will be "Young Man." I've said enough.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
i had a dream last night about how to code karsu and i's game's threat mechanics

Hate/Threat mechanics:
-Every enemy starts with 100 Hate toward every party member, multiplied by their invisible Hate Gain stat (100% for everybody, unless modified by equipment).
-Whenever you damage an enemy, they gain Hate toward you equal to damage dealt (multiplied by your Hate Gain)
-Whenever you heal, all enemies gain Hate equal to half the amount healed (multiplied by your Hate Gain)
-To help keep supports alive, support abilities will not generate Hate
-Taunt effects will apply about 500 Hate or so
-Hate normalizes to (100 * Hate Gain) by 10% per turn (so at 200 Hate and 100% Hate Gain, next turn you’d be at 180 Hate; at 200 Hate and 200% Hate Gain, it wouldn’t change) (yes, lockez, i know that's not really 10% toward the target number but it's how i'm gonna calculate it)
-Enemies will not attack the party member that they Hate the least (to help make wipes like Devil’s Smile more applicable); note that stuff like Luca’s passive take you out of the calculation ENTIRELY, no matter your Hate, instead of being a Hate wipe -- leaving the hidden state will make you just as vulnerable
-Not all enemy skills will follow Hate, because they’re smarter than that

to help put damage in perspective: most "normal attacks" deal ~20-40 damage and "very high" damage is only a 2x modifier.

fascinating, i know. here's luca anyway (sorry if it reads a little messily, this is one of our character "sketches")

Luca, Sniper “The Silent Night”
Platinum
---
75 HP/60 Barrier/75 Attack/5 Magic/40 Speed/40 Focus/20 Vitality
---
Luca is a mythic unit of the Sniper class. Snipers are on the extreme edge of damage and squishiness - if properly protected, they will devastate the enemy. As a combat unit, Luca has harder-hitting attacks than any other unit in the game: she has a charging attack that widens its attack pattern as turns pass; she can use her supportive enchantment to counter an enemy that’s attacking an ally and negate its attack with a 50% chance; and she has an instant-kill attack that does high damage + up to 30% of a boss’s HP in a single hit. Passively, Luca cloaks if she does not attack in a turn, preventing enemies from directly attacking her; if she attacks while cloaked, that attack gains +50% damage and accuracy.

@Craze. Wow, that's really complex. It's cool how your dreams can be so helpful. Good luck on your game!
Why do I always have to make thousands of poses for every scene I do? x_x
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
I should probably follow the "fail faster" rule of design instead of trying to have everything planned out before I start actually developing my game in RPG Maker. I'm sure problems are going to arise either way, so I might as well not try to solve them all at once.

@Craze: sounds like an interesting concept. I wish I had such helpful dreams.
I'm thinking about the evolution of a character for a yet-secret-project that I am working on in my free time. She went, totally without my immediate involvement (You know how some characters and an idea just kind of 'click' together without you meaning to?) from having a relatively simple backstory to being transgender. And it fits perfectly and makes her entire character and the involvement with the game's protagonist so much more well-rounded and important. But I'm wondering if it would be too much to throw at the player, especially considering that the main character is a deaf boy and that subject has to be handled in a very sensitive way already. Ah, what to do, what to do.
Probably the best way would be to throw such matters like that in casually, if the characters treat things like that like it's no biggie, normally the player will, as well. If you make a massive song and dance about those sorts of things, alarm bells ring in players heads.
author=Pyramid_Head
Probably the best way would be to throw such matters like that in casually, if the characters treat things like that like it's no biggie, normally the player will, as well. If you make a massive song and dance about those sorts of things, alarm bells ring in players heads.

I thought about that, too, but the problem is that the game itself isn't casual (story-wise) at all and uses some time to develop the main character's disability and him being outside of society's norm because of it in a very serious way. (The gameplay itself is influenced by the fact that he cannot hear.) Were I to casually mention that she is transgender without using time to actually explore what sort of problems she has to face because of it...I think it would cheapen her more than it would do her any good. While the main character would treat it like it isn't a big deal, other characters would react quite differently. But I cannot give the main character that sort of depth without giving it to her, too.
Well, how abut just not worrying on how to present it and just do what comes natural, you can edit and refine the more delicate aspects at a later date.
I had an idea for a save system. Game autosave to every save slot, but the further you're in the game the fewer slots it saves to. The top save file will always be the most recent. (So you can resume playing quickly and without hassle) By the time you finish the game you will have a slot for every point in the game, in order from most recent to oldest.

It's just a matter of deciding how to split the game into x sections. (x being however many save files are alloted in vx ace)

I just hope its possible to do this. Iirc there is an event to bring up the save screen, but not a way to save automatically to a specific slot. I'm sure it's possible, though I might need to find a script that lets me do it. Iirc, there is a game I played where the save crystal just immediately saved, without asking you to specify a slot. So its definitely possible, its just a matter of copying that event and repeating it for every slot.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I know Single File Save scripts auto saves, I know that's not helpful to you but it's possible that's what you saw.
There's also autosave scripts you might be able to adapt to your situation.

Is the feature so you can never fuck yourself in the game with saving or stat allocation or finding items that you can't get if you cross a certain point?
Or is it just for kicks?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I 100% guarantee you will have to figure out how save file reading/writing works in RGSS code, and write the script yourself.

I feel like the kind of player who cares about keeping multiple saves will do so without you automating the process... this system only seems useful if you plan on surprising the player with Riovannes Castle situations where they can get stuck.
author=LockeZ
I 100% guarantee you will have to figure out how save file reading/writing works in RGSS code, and write the script yourself.
What if I use this script?
http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/33902-autosystem-save-files-updated-v110/

# Directions - Place this script under Materials (and under Yanfly's save system
# if you are using) and above Main.
#
# Script calls:
# i is the index number you want it to use
# DataManager.save_settings(i)
# DataManager.auto_save(i)
# DataManager.load_settings(i) By default load_settings gets called when you
# start a new game. But only if USE_SYSTEM_FILE is set to true.

Is index number the save slot number? If so then this sounds promising.

EDIT: Oh hey I just realized something. If the player loads a previous save, if they keep playing they will overwrite all of the later saves, whether or not they intended it.
So maybe I'll go back to my old method. Originally I imagined it would work so the save files are in chronological order, aside from the first save file which would always be the most recent. Example:
- most recent
- chapter 1 save file
- chapter 2 save file
This is actually more elegant come to think of it. I guess I thought the reverse-chronological system would be extra cool or hip or something, but I guess I did not think it through. Regardless of which method I'd take though, I'd still need the script actually that lets me do either.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I mean that script will let you create a single save file that gets saved automatically. The only thing it has in common with your idea is that they're both systems for saving the game.
well LockeZ, to your credit, you provoked me into actually testing the script. I made an NPC with these script calls:
DataManager.auto_save(0)
DataManager.auto_save(1)
DataManager.auto_save(2)
DataManager.auto_save(15)

It worked. I saved simultaneously to four different save files and am able to see them when I restart the game.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm thinking I should just remove the download of Hall of Lost Souls. Or at least make it private. I'm also thinking that I have done absolutely nothing gammak related since Konae's release, and THIS MUST STOP! Eventually.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm not sure why it's popping into my head now, but, it's occuring to me that I might be able to mess with the equipment menus in Myriad Cypher to force players to have something equipped in each slot. Mostly, this is to help facilitate the calculations for repair costs. See, "Armor Plating" alters MAXHP, and removing it then reequipping it can cause players to have 1 HP to repair rather than whatever it's supposed to be. The Engine slot works the same way, only it can cause players to have 0 MP of repairs rather than whatever it's supposed to be.

Also, I was looking at Oracle of Askigaga of all things last night, and noticed that I didn't have Castle Gojo mapped out. I could almost swear that I did! I suppose I could have messed up on my backups, though. If I'm going to be looking at my old laptop to double-check this, I may as well do the grammar fixes to Matsumori Days that Malandy helpfully pointed out as well.