WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
It's Catty from Undertale. She and Bratty, along with Burgerpants, are my favorite vendors from that game.
author=Ratty524
It's Catty from Undertale. She and Bratty, along with Burgerpants, are my favorite vendors from that game.
That's literally half of the vendors in the game.

I need someone with writing experience to evaluate if my idea for bonding scenes is good - basically, you find unique marked spots that trigger a skit involving two characters (which you have to have in your party for). I planned to have one for each character pair among 16 playable characters, which equals 110 dialogues in total. This sounds like an amount I can handle, but can anyone confirm if it is reasonably doable?
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
Do Metroid-like "key and keyhole mechanics" work well in battle-less puzzle adventures? Let's hope so.
Screwed around with making a game seriously for once and have thus learned enough to be able to program* a decent game or two... or three. Maybe four. Thus is my problem; far too many ideas, not enough patience. The most promising one (a horror game that takes place in a randomized tunnel with very little light) I'm having a certain amount of difficulty figuring out how to pace the stories for the six playable characters. Well, actually it's closer to not having a great deal of motivation to really actually try too hard. (That, and some of them are so far almost excessively tragic in my eyes) I know a great deal of how many of the systems like abilities and stats are going to work, but other systems like combat are kinda being a drag. It more closely resembles a 'defense' system, and there's nothing to keep the player from 'defending' an enemy endlessly into a corner. I'm also kinda debating releasing the horribly alpha demo-like thingy I rigged up to see if I can garner some interest from the community. Should probably work on it some more before I do that though. Well, I'm about done ranting for now.

*I say 'program'. but it's more like 'jury rig with a combination of pre-made scripts and common events' =.=;
author=LightningLord2
I need someone with writing experience to evaluate if my idea for bonding scenes is good - basically, you find unique marked spots that trigger a skit involving two characters (which you have to have in your party for). I planned to have one for each character pair among 16 playable characters, which equals 110 dialogues in total. This sounds like an amount I can handle, but can anyone confirm if it is reasonably doable?

I'd say it is reasonably doable, but it'll take a lot of time, especially if each individual encounter is unique, and not like the 80+ endings of Star Ocean 2 in which half of them were just reused endings with different characters. (That's how I remember it, anyways.)

I've got dump a shit ton of exposition in my game at the moment, and you'd think that given that I feel my writing has improved over the past year I'd be able to think of something interesting but noooooooo. Drawing a blank...
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
I have to say that dethmetal's advice worked wonders for me. Forcing myself to work on my game really pays off. I've accomplished a lot more in the short period I spent doing so than most of my other RPG Maker years.

In recent days, I've been on a half-hiatus due to bureaucratic reasons, so to say, but hopefully I'll be able to pick up slack real soon.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
For the second time ever, I've re-released a game!? It's nowhere near as extensive as when Karsu and I reworked Visions & Voices, but I really do like devil::ender so I thought I'd touch up the difficulty spikes a bit and add some OPTIONZ.

I don't normally re-release stuff because once I'm done, I don't want to touch it again. I should look at W&R again, but I'd rather just work on the sequel to be honest.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
What advice, Gretgor?
I'm working on Steel Spirit SaGa, and bam! I introduced a new character to join the party (one who wasn't already on the roster), so now I need to make some additions to the custom systems I have in place to accommodate this new character. But also it gives me the chance to add more characters without worrying as much.

-Edit- Curse me and my mediocre spriting skills!
I've been thinking of making a fighting game. About cannibals.
I consider myself an artist, but not too good at animations and action poses ;v;
Hopefully one day I can fulfill my strong game need.
Recently I've been getting a lot of strange ideas for games.

So far I have:

- Cat RPG
An RPG where every character is a literal cat. All the attacks, weapons, skills, etc. would all be based off of cat toys and other cat related things.

- Dating Sim Support Group
I really have no idea how this could turn into something, but basically a dating sim where the main goal is to NOT to fall in love. Would probably involve a lot of dating sim stereotypes that you would have to try to ruin or avoid.

- A Masked World
Again, have no idea how it could turn into something, as the only ideas I have is a world where everyone wears a mask based on their personality. The world will probably be heavily inspired by Studio Ghibli movies. I have drawn a few pictures based on this concept, but I don't plan on trying to make something that complicated any time soon.

- A game that takes place in a single room
The only real reason I have this idea is because it would probably be the easiest idea to try to do custom art. Since it would only take place in one room, trying to draw custom art wouldn't make me want to die for once.

Unfortunately for me, I don't really have the skills develop any of these ideas yet. :/
Oh well, I'll just keep them saved until I have more experience.

Also, I should probably get back to work on the game I actually am working on.
Dangit, I've already plotted out when you'll encounter each of my 16 characters in the game - now I have to fight the urge of making -more- characters.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
bob, combine all of them. masked cats try not to fall in love in a single room. do it do it do ittttt
unity
You're magical to me.
author=LightningLord2
Dangit, I've already plotted out when you'll encounter each of my 16 characters in the game - now I have to fight the urge of making -more- characters.

Haha, be careful. Back in RPG Maker 2000, I once tried to make a game with 30 playable characters, 9 of which had their own major storyline missions. Needless to say I never completed it and ran out of steam after completing only about 40-50% of it.
Having a huge roster of characters can be daunting, the only RPG Maker game I've seen that can pull it off was Legion Saga, anyone remember that?

I've got about 20 characters for my game, but some of them are specific to only one scenario, and some of them have little screen time. I feel that's my way of dealing with trying to have a lot of characters.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
"I've been working on this game for nearly a year and I still haven't decided on a title or a plot"

I mean, the game is about fightin' bosses but I feel like I should probably start chipping away at the other stuff...
unity
You're magical to me.
author=slash
"I've been working on this game for nearly a year and I still haven't decided on a title or a plot"

I mean, the game is about fightin' bosses but I feel like I should probably start chipping away at the other stuff...

Make the plot "Two characters want to get married and the other two just want a vacation but they're such renowned awesome people that the Guild of Boss Characters challenges them and won't let them marry/vacation until all of the bosses have been beaten!"
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=unity
Make the plot "Two characters want to get married and the other two just want a vacation but they're such renowned awesome people that the Guild of Boss Characters challenges them and won't let them marry/vacation until all of the bosses have been beaten!"

Hehehe, I really should :D

Honestly, for a while I was really determined to have a very *serious* *thematic* plot, but I'm not really sure why - it's not really the point of the game, haha. I just want the boss fights to be fun and the characters to be interesting and fun :D The more I think about it, I'd rather just go back to my original plan of a simple theme & simple plot that just gives the characters a chance to be themselves. I just gotta... get on it.

Honestly, my original-and-once-again-plan is pretty close to your suggestion ;) I think you'll dig it! Once I actually... write it out...
unity
You're magical to me.
Yeah, having played what you shared earlier, I have to say, just having the characters interact and be themselves while we fight some bosses is all I need ^_^ (Love the characters!)
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=unity
Yeah, having played what you shared earlier, I have to say, just having the characters interact and be themselves while we fight some bosses is all I need ^_^ (Love the characters!)

Ahhh, thank you so much :)

I'm really trying to keep that in mind! It's super hard to resist the call to make everything big and epic and perfect.