WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

Let me know how it goes, and how you go about making it in 2K3, as I'm curious to see how it'd work.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I'm thinking about what I still need to do to make the demo to Pokemon RMN up to my standards and how the whole development process could have gone smoother had I laid down a more cohesive plan and had some dedication to work on it.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Writing characters and scenarios for Bossgame! I've made a little bit of progress, and I'm gonna hit it real hard this weekend :)

author=intro
2: Bear Supreme?
1: That’s right! It’s been destroying everything and everyone in its path!
2: What? What do you mean?
1: It’s been running around at night, hunting down anyone who leaves the city!
1: They say it spews poison and eats witches!
1: They say he’s twenty feet tall and covered in the flames of hell!
2: Jeez, this bear sounds crazy. It’s gotta just be a rumor.
1: Who knows? All I know is, if you see it, all you can do is pray for a quick death!

~cut to black~

Lily: Woah, Anna, check out this bear!

i live off cheese
When am I gonna get off my lazy butt and start actually making a game...doesn't matter if its a demo or full fledged game....when?!
author=KingJNF
When am I gonna get off my lazy butt and start actually making a game...doesn't matter if its a demo or full fledged game....when?!

You should do it first chance you get. Here's a few things you might wanna do for a training project:

-Create an item for a fetch quest
-Map out a single dungeon
-Give loot in a treasure chest
-Write a cutscene with some dialogue, probably involving your main character
-Event a boss fight with a custom pattern and/or skill(s)

If you're willing to do even more, use a graphic you sprited/drew yourself and a song you composed somewhere. It'll help you figure which parts you're good at and which ones you want to focus on. Just note that there's no way around eventing.
i would like to do a game based off building your own robot, like a more complicated medabots

it would involve a crafting system, and your robots stats would be solely determined by the parts it has equipped. robots wouldn't level up, but your main character would. level up wouldn't make you stronger, it would just open more options in terms of crafting and building

gameplay would consist of an overworld section with persona like mechanics for relationships. relationships would lead to more parts because you're learning from your friends. you could also have friendly matches for grinding. there would probably be story important battles too

the crux of the gameplay would be randomized tournaments. each tournament rank would pull from a list of possible fighters, and each fighter would have a list of possible robots. if a fighter got enough wins, it would be promoted to the next rank. the game would run simulations whenever you enter a tournament. so you could beat a guy at rookie rank, rise through to like, national rank, and find the same guy. this should make every playthrough different, and if you get stuck in a rank, you wouldn't be having the same matches all the time

of course, this is a ridiculously complicated game for one person to do, much less one person with little experience. but it sounds good

i might try to do a demo for the robot building part. i could learn a lot from it

I released my demo so I'm taking a week off and working on my speedrunning.
@Supersonicsoda: RPG Maker MV is pretty good for that if you use plugins. Just make the robot parts equipment (make it so that the robot's base stats are all 1 so that it needs parts to function) that can grant skills (like being able to use a fire skill when equipping a flamethrower). The crafting part is simple with the item synthesis plugin by Yanfly - stronger upgrades can be gated with better materials or recipe books.
author=LightningLord2
@Supersonicsoda: RPG Maker MV is pretty good for that if you use plugins. Just make the robot parts equipment (make it so that the robot's base stats are all 1 so that it needs parts to function) that can grant skills (like being able to use a fire skill when equipping a flamethrower). The crafting part is simple with the item synthesis plugin by Yanfly - stronger upgrades can be gated with better materials or recipe books.

i dont have MV but i actually went looking for scripts to do something like it in ace. i found some cool things, but now the question is more finding time to work on it
author=supersonicsoda
author=LightningLord2
i dont have MV but i actually went looking for scripts to do something like it in ace. i found some cool things, but now the question is more finding time to work on it

Well the traits list exists in Ace, too, so making skills dependent on gear is still entirely possible.
I've got another conundrum. In Steel Spirit SaGa, people can only equip one type of weapon, however in SaGa Frontier 2, the game blatantly ripping off inspired by. Any character could equip any weapon. So I was wondering if I should give the player more freedom to give the characters more equipment, or stick to what I have already?
author=Pyramid_Head
I've got another conundrum. In Steel Spirit SaGa, people can only equip one type of weapon, however in SaGa Frontier 2, the game blatantly ripping off inspired by. Any character could equip any weapon. So I was wondering if I should give the player more freedom to give the characters more equipment, or stick to what I have already?

You'll need to make alternate builds of characters viable for this to be meaningful, since most games that restrict equipment have specialized characters that couldn't use other weapons as effectively. It also depends on how much difference each weapon type makes - significant differences make free weapon usage more viable.
The only difference weapons make is in the element attached to it. And what stat bonuses you gain when you level up in that element.

For example, if a character uses a fire based weapon, they'll level up in the fire element, gain fire skills, and gain a stat bonus in attack.
I'm sorry to double post, but I was actually kind of hoping for some advice on this. I've been mulling it over now, and I still can't seem to reach a decision.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If all that stuff is based on your weapon then it definitely makes sense to give the player options. However you can just as easily make that stuff be based on something else instead of weapons (like equipped esper). Or give the player enough different characters to choose from that they don't need to be able to customize each character.

I definitely think choice is valuable. Forming strategies of how to build your party is one of the main interactive elements of an RPG. Forcing the player into certain builds is no different than creating an on-rails dungeon - it's stripping an element of gameplay out, and if overdone it can get to the point where the game feels like it's playing itself.

However there's value in limiting the player too. When you give the player total freedom in building each team member, their characters all end up pretty samey. SF2 tried to handle this by giving each of the characters different affinities, so that they'd gain certain skills and stats faster than others, but because this info was hidden from the player, it didn't accomplish its goal at all. You might want to give each character, like, 1 to 3 weapon options, so that everyone feels like they have a unique set of options. You also might want them start with only the one weapon type, and have to pay a trainer or reach a certain level to unlock the other two types laters.
I was thinking of going with the SF2 route and giving characters weapon proficiencies too, but that would mean giving myself a mountain of work. I had toyed with the idea of allowing every character to equip every weapon, but some weapon types would give some characters exp bonuses, but that would seem a bit weird if a character equips a water weapon, and then gain a small bonus in fire.

I like the trainer idea, but some characters in my story, when they leave your party you won't encounter them again. So I think I might give them multiple weapon choices from the get go.

Thanks for helping me come to a decision.
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
I'm currently without a functioning Windows partition in my computer, rendering me unable to work on my game or play people's RPG Maker games (RPG Maker games run horribly on Wine ime). The withdrawal is setting in, and I'm going mad.
I feel like as a joke, just to get back at my little brother who’s been doing this kind of thing to me for years that I should put in a cheat in Monopolo, in the same sort of vein as the original Sim City did for the PC where you can just type in a cheat code during your turn to give you some more extra money or something or additional items or properties and such. Like typing in something like “More Money Please” will give you an additional $1000, or some shit like that, lol. (“Duh - I-I-I don’t know where that extra money came from! Maybe it was a glitch?")

- That will teach him for stealing from the bank!
What I call the darkness came in the form of an individual, they call themselves god.
The netsphere violently fell to their machines.
Turned it against us.

Now, out from a coma. And with little memory of the past.
I must don a dead guys metal coat.
And assemble a firearm from my best friends metal throat.

So I may face the darknesses eyes.
Wander into their malign soul.

And fight, until I find the heart.
And cut it out with my arms made of coldest metal.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
I have to redesign maps to fit in a 16:9 ratio (960x540, which is the closet to the Yanfly engine default of 816x624) because mobile (or, more specifically, because my android phone's landscape is 16:9); already redesigned the title graphic and now get to worry about other static pictures/graphics not conforming to those constraints

I'm going to make use of this android license, dammit... Now if only the deployment didn't have it's own set of issues (fade ins/outs only affecting half the screen, etc)

Also, why does the exclude unneeded files thing seem to remove waaay too much? It completely skips the title and a few other things that I only find out about when the game tells me the thing is missing. I've got MVStripper as a bandaid solution, but I'd like something official (and wont made a copy, albeit smaller, of my entire project)