WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The exclude unneeded files thing can't tell when a file is being used by a script.
author=LockeZ
The exclude unneeded files thing can't tell when a file is being used by a script.

Make unused battle animations that use sound effects and graphics only featured in scripts so that the file stripper doesn't touch them. Music files can be saved this way by using them in inaccessible maps. That's at least one way I can think of to keep the stripper from making mistakes.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
author=LockeZ

Thing is, they're not script resources.. They're things that have entries in the database (system, animations, etc) and it's rather odd
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
MVStripper is useless. I had to manually sort my files for both swapsies games because it tore out stuff used in events (not scripts or script calls!), and left in some things that are never used.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm not sure how, or why, it's happening, but, during a debug session in regards to the "damage multiplier" concept, I was noticing a really weird thing. For reference, the value is obtained...

m = 1.0 + ((atk_p - def_p) * 0.05)

...this way, with some extra code thrown in for a cap and ceiling. With the skill in question, "atk_p" was 14, and "def_p" was 0, but, the return value was something like 1.70000002? I didn't notice other skills that had a "def_p" of 0 also do this, which makes it even more awkward. Though, I kinda doubt how much it matters, given the value in question!
Some question regarding Javascripting: Does somebody know what method I need to run to force an action of a battler (via JS, not events)? I need it for an eval in a skill that uses a followup if the user is above 50% HP.
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
I wonder how well RM2K3 runs on Wine, since my Windows installation won't boot (I probably contracted some creepy obscure virus).

EDIT: The official installer won't even fucking install. Well, fuck me, right?
author=Gretgor
I wonder how well RM2K3 runs on Wine, since my Windows installation won't boot (I probably contracted some creepy obscure virus).

Which version of Wine do you use?
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
author=Scalytank
author=Gretgor

Which version of Wine do you use?

I'm using that CrossOver wrapper for 64 bit Wine. Not sure how to check the version number.
I only have experience with Wine, no crossover... By the way it should work, I tested with wine 1.8.1 with the default settings.

Also you can check the version by typing wine -version in the terminal I think.

This page should help.
(It says cracked, but this should apply for the official english version too!)

author=Marrend
I'm not sure how, or why, it's happening, but, during a debug session in regards to the "damage multiplier" concept, I was noticing a really weird thing. For reference, the value is obtained...

m = 1.0 + ((atk_p - def_p) * 0.05)

...this way, with some extra code thrown in for a cap and ceiling. With the skill in question, "atk_p" was 14, and "def_p" was 0, but, the return value was something like 1.70000002? I didn't notice other skills that had a "def_p" of 0 also do this, which makes it even more awkward. Though, I kinda doubt how much it matters, given the value in question!

I know this bug... I think its relates to how computers process decimal numbers.
This article explains the technical side.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I've been seriously thinking about cancelling Oracle of Askigaga. I guess the best way to say it is that the person that wanted to make that game and the person writing this post are two different people? Though, maybe, my depression has something to do with the thought-process too.

Maybe I just need to make something short, simple, and really dumb?
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Marrend
I've been seriously thinking about cancelling Oracle of Askigaga. I guess the best way to say it is that the person that wanted to make that game and the person writing this post are two different people? Though, maybe, my depression has something to do with the thought-process too.

Maybe I just need to make something short, simple, and really dumb?

I feel like doing something short and simple is a good way to fulfill that desire to do something new. Not to mention going back to your large-scale project afterwards will bring more of a fresh perspective on things.
I'm thinking of making a small, commercial game and selling it for less than $5, maybe less, just to get my feet wet in this industry. Maybe do a little retro sci-fi jaunt. Crunching some numbers, even if I sell 10 copies a day over the course of one month, I can still earn decent money on top of my regular work salary, what with my country's currency at 15:1 against the greenback.

But I also know that selling a product is 90% marketing and only 10% of your blood, sweat and tears, so it may not even sell.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=Luchino
I'm thinking of making a small, commercial game and selling it for less than $5, maybe less, just to get my feet wet in this industry. Maybe do a little retro sci-fi jaunt. Crunching some numbers, even if I sell 10 copies a day over the course of one month, I can still earn decent money on top of my regular work salary, what with my country's currency at 15:1 against the greenback.

But I also know that selling a product is 90% marketing and only 10% of your blood, sweat and tears, so it may not even sell.

That sounds like a good idea, Luchino! I've been thinking the same - After I finish BOSSGAME, I think I'd like to make some small games just to practice and learn a little more about marketing and selling things for money, y'know? Gotta get your feet wet sometime, haha :D

I imagine it's like 50% development & 50% marketing... or maybe more like 100% development and 100% marketing ;__; marketing is intimidating. But, hey, I can talk about my games for hours, so maybe it's not that bad..!
Thought of the day:
If you don't recognize anymore what your code is doing.... you should start to tidy it up. .__.
What I need to do in order for Kentona to give me some Fancy Clothes (it's for a game I'm working on). There needs to be two ways of getting the Fancy Clothes; both a good and a bad way. Hmm...
There's a local indie-game maker meetup where I live and I'm thinking about going to it. There's a "show and tell" critique session coming up... Which generally scares the crap out of me. I have a pretty thin skin and my project is a hobby - not for sale and not involving anyone but me. Most of the guys going are unity developers and other non-RPGMaker guys...

Am I setting myself up for a shitty time? Have other people gone to these kinds of meetings? How looked down upon is rpgmaker as a engine at these kinds of meetups?
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Honestly, the same stigma of RPG Maker games can be applied to unity as well, so the engine really isn't a factor when it comes to what classifies as a "true" game developer. Only the game itself matters.

Last week, I met with my game design professor and did a short demo of Prayer of the Faithless. I showed him the story synopsis, character concept arts, and the battle system. He was impressed with the game despite the engine. When I asked him about the stigma towards RM games, he laughed it off and stressed that, as long as you're putting in the effort to make the game good, you don't have to justify your engine choice to anyone.

The thin-skinned part might be an issue, though, as that's practically a dealbreaker when it comes to accepting criticism. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you should probably ask yourself what you're looking to get out of the meeting and decide if it's right for you.
author=Red_Nova
The thin-skinned part might be an issue, though, as that's practically a dealbreaker when it comes to accepting criticism. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you should probably ask yourself what you're looking to get out of the meeting and decide if it's right for you.

Right now, the only thing I have to show are maps and some relatively creative weapon descriptions. And some character sprites. Maybe I'll drop a few in the screenshot thread and test the waters with the people I constantly stalk friends here at RMN.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
If it's just a hobby, then don't worry about it. If people enjoy it even you eventually release it, good! Until then, do what you want to do and don't feel obligated to go somewhere for people who want to make money off of this.