WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Wrote a quick script to add tags to the descriptions of equipment and, most importantly, abilities.

Now I can organize tags and icons more effectively than before, where every tag was hardcoded into each description.

Quick question for anyone concerned: when you see the Power: 130% tag, what's the first thing that comes to mind? This skill does 130% damage total(after normal damage value is calculated)? Or this skill uses 130% of the character's attack strength?

The answer is:
The skill uses 130% of your attack strength.

If it's not clear, then I might just ignore the Power tag and add damage modifiers to the description. I'm hoping this is a more easy to digest format and will play with more tags in future skills, but if this isn't a good way to communicate info, then I'll fall back on the aforementioned conveyance through description.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Trying to figure out how to properly add a climbing system in my next game. So far, I've been able to come up some very nice stuff just with events, but I wonder, would scripting be easier? Also, giving guards view range without scripts will probably be impossible...
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
author=Sated
Also, giving guards view range without scripts will probably be impossible...
It's really not.

An even better (but more complex) version is buried in this trigonometry-based guide.

I love you Sated. (Please don't be a person that gets obsessed because I said "love")
My first project isn't based off of anything specific, but the name came from a book about Eleanor of Hainault, where I just liked the sound of Hainault and Calais together and said 'Hanais'. Mages aren't rare but they weren't really disliked much, until the new sovereign came into power. Then she started prosecuting and executing mages.

The one I just thought of today is either a historical game. Either realistically, or alternative history. One of my fave time periods is the Wars of the Roses to Tudor periods, so it would be around then as that it my strong point. It wouldn't be a murder mystery style, though. I know those are popular haha. I wonder if people would like the idea of a steampunk Tudor period? Because Victorian Steampunk is popular, but it's so popular that a lot of it is getting cliched.
Speaking of Tudor stuff, anyone know if I can find any Tudor sprites? Or anything that relates to somewhere between 1400 - 1600 in English history?
Because chances are if I can't I might have to make all of my sprites and I'm not good at that, derp.
I really want to do some gamemaking while I have time off but I just can't seem to get something going. I make a couple of maps and then I get a better idea for something else I want to do. The curse of gamestarting is upon me.
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
Maybe I should shorten the game I was making instead of dropping it entirely. Maybe I should drop all the atmospheric stuff I have planned, since they'd be a lot of work to make for a guy that isn't even an artist. Maybe I should look into making it all shorter.
Is it possible to have it so certain characters do not have MP bars? They'd just have HP. I'm considering having at least one character like this but also possibly the entire party. (meaning they'd just have hp and all spells are free) It would be kind of dumb to have mp bars for characters that have no abilities that utilize it, and thus far I was planning on shoehorning spells in the game simply so the MP bars don't go to waste. (which honestly isn't a bad idea, but just thought I'd check here to see what my options are)

RPG Maker VX Ace, by the way.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
author=zeello
Is it possible to have it so certain characters do not have MP bars? They'd just have HP. I'm considering having at least one character like this but also possibly the entire party. (meaning they'd just have hp and all spells are free) It would be kind of dumb to have mp bars for characters that have no abilities that utilize it, and thus far I was planning on shoehorning spells in the game simply so the MP bars don't go to waste. (which honestly isn't a bad idea, but just thought I'd check here to see what my options are)

RPG Maker VX Ace, by the way.

@zeello: I don't see why not. One of my favorite classes in Final Fantasy is a Dark Knight. They've got the whole evil/darkness motif and has skills revolving around their own HP, even using it as ammo for spells. Cecil's "Dark Wave" from the non-Nintendo-DS version of Final Fantasy 4 is a favorite of mine, though I can't recall if it uses HP or not. Considering it's a powerful move though, it may as well. Also, Blood Mages from Dragon Age work similar, though I don't know much about them as I never got far in-game.

The way I see it, you could go three routes -- black magic, blood magic, or using so much chi power than it hurts the user. Or heck, anything else you could imagine. Those are just three examples from me.

EDIT: Dang, misread your post. Sorry! x_x
~~~

I wonder if my game concept is any good. I wonder if I can actually put in the effort. I'm tempted to challenge myself to a 30-day game project, but... have I learned enough, both through experience playing others' games as well as my own theory of what'd go good into a game...?
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
author=Red_Nova
Power but not Nintendo power

That's sleek, Nova. I like it being simpler than let's say Yanfly's item menu.
Power tells me how powerful a weapon is. I don't really care whether it means the first or the second. I can see that 130% is more than 100% and that there is something wrong when a weapon has it's power level at 70%.
Keep it this way. It's clear enough for a player to either figure it out or not care.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Oh hey someone DID see it, haha!

I'm glad you like it. Just so it's clear, the Power tag is for skills, not weapons. Damage formulas normally start with a simple attack - defense base, so the Power tag was added when the attack value broke that norm.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
@zello: Off the top of my head, the quick hack would be something like...

class Window_BattleStatus < Window_Selectable
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Draw Gauge Area (with TP)
  def draw_gauge_area_with_tp(rect, actor)
    draw_actor_hp(actor, rect.x + 0, rect.y, 72)
    draw_actor_mp(actor, rect.x + 82, rect.y, 64) if actor.mmp > 0
    draw_actor_tp(actor, rect.x + 156, rect.y, 64)
  end
  # * Draw Gauge Area (without TP)
  def draw_gauge_area_without_tp(rect, actor)
    draw_actor_hp(actor, rect.x + 0, rect.y, 134)
    draw_actor_mp(actor, rect.x + 144,  rect.y, 76) if actor.mmp > 0
  end
end

class Window_Base < Window
  # * Draw Simple Status
  def draw_actor_simple_status(actor, x, y)
    draw_actor_name(actor, x, y)
    draw_actor_level(actor, x, y + line_height * 1)
    draw_actor_icons(actor, x, y + line_height * 2)
    draw_actor_class(actor, x + 120, y)
    draw_actor_hp(actor, x + 120, y + line_height * 1)
    draw_actor_mp(actor, x + 120, y + line_height * 2) if actor.mmp > 0
  end
end

...this?
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Wondering if I should do a quick, short game first, inspired by older CRPGs like Wizardry or, heck, even pedit5. The custom graphics would be minimalist and easy to create, and it'd be something I could potentially whip up within a month. Wonder if anyone'd be interested, though...?
Marrend
Writing VN cut-scenes for Might be Magic. I try to let things flow naturally, but, it's tough (and therefore slow), sometimes. I seem to recall being on the slow side when it came to Heartache custom content, too.

There's still a bit of time left, but, I can't help but to be worried about how much of the VN stuff that will be ready on release.

*Edit: I suppose that content can be slated for after the event, though. That might relieve some of the stress, at least. Still...
Vandriette
"The purpose of life is to end." -Agent Smith
I don't know how people will take this, but I am thinking of remaking a game known as Air Control into an RPG Game

Air Control used to be on steam.
VX Ace works fine on Windows 10 right? I'm considering getting a laptop solely so I can work on my game, so I just wanna make sure. I'd rather have Windows 7 but beggars can't be choosers.
Marrend
For some reason, I've been thinking of doing a revision of Uchioniko. I'd probably be using the modern day set from Luneria that I used in Konae, and there's been strange thoughts of using Heartache-like graphics and cut-scenes.

Or, hell, maybe just straight-up do some kind of visual novel?
I've been contemplating implementing voice acting in my game but with the bonus twist having all the lines replayed backwards. That way I can avoid hammy acting and add an extra weird touch to the proceedings, it'll probably end up feeling out of place but I'll give it a go and see how it turns out.
I've been thinking about romance in games, and wishing I would see healthier relationships, where the player is rewarded for actually caring about someone else (in a non-stalker-ish way) and respecting their decisions. And I was wondering how an RPG engine could do that in a way more interesting than "keep trying dialog options until they fall in love".

Which led to Today's Random Idea:

A game centered on a golem that several chars take turns controlling. Romance would be determined by what each char does with the golem. I came up with the scene where they find the golem, and the mechanics of how control is passed around and stuff. I don't have any sort of story yet, I assume there's some sort of crisis that they have to work together and use the golem to resolve or whatever.

Anyway, the player would only control whichever char was currently controlling the golem, and would only see and hear what the golem witnesses. Which means each char will be doing things the player has no control over, and likely won't learn about until later.

Would not having total control over any char turn you off from this game?

And then there's this potential Plot Twist:
Eventually the chars realize that something (the player) is subtly influencing their thoughts and actions while they control the golem, and each reacts differently. But this would make all those romance sub-plots I wanted really uncomfortable. :(
Marrend
@Loxus: What if they each control separate golems, but still have to work together? I mean, players can probably only give generic orders (like, Move, Attack, Defend, or what-have-you), but, each golem would have it's own unique action (or whatever) that will enable the team to do what needs to be done.

As for me, I've drawn a draft of something that might (no running gag here) be a dungeon.