WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

class RPG::BaseItem < RPG::UsableItem

ruby why do you allow this, you're just going to break in a completely unrelated area elsewhere and be a pain to debug
Making a Sci-fi/space based RPG, with metroidvania like exploration, but Not in the side scrolling sense.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I tweak a mechanic to my game and tested it as thoroughly as I could. I announced the change with confidence and excitement because it's something people have been asking for for a while now and an idea that I've been wanting to implement.

A tester found a bug and broke the game balance in their first battle.

What is life?
"#" + entryTag + @"\s*(.*)#{2}"

RegEx is beautiful. <3

Now people will be able to add their own translation to the game.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
author=Red_Nova
I tweak a mechanic to my game and tested it as thoroughly as I could. I announced the change with confidence and excitement because it's something people have been asking for for a while now and an idea that I've been wanting to implement.

A tester found a bug and broke the game balance in their first battle.

What is life?

Sorry.

*Would totally do it again.*
Okay, here it is, I'm thinking about making an open world Pokemon Game, with every region, and since Pokemon is based on the real world, then that's what the world map will be. So far, I'm up to Cerulean City, I've mapped out 20% of the Kanto Region, with Johto to follow shortly after. Been working on this since December 25th... instead of actually playing with any of my new games. (cause that's what obsessed crazy people do.) I want to map the game out first, THEN start adding my meaty RPG events goodness. So... this will take awhile.

Now then... show of hands, who thinks I'm bat shit crazy?

wow... everyone. I am not surprised. lol. Don't worry, I raised my hand too.
I keep coming up with different ideas. Here are a few I am trying to pick between:

A sidescrolling adventure or rpg (think Dreaming Mary or Day Dream Derpy for level design), where you are a robot in a laboratory and either you're just doing general stuff to see if you're functioning properly and can be used as the basis for a whole line of similar stuff or another experiment goes berserk and you have to choose to either defend your creators, join the other, or do your own thing.

A cyberpunk dystopia where you are a new hire at a Shin-Ra like company except instead of being obviously evil it is more... responsibly evil. As in it wants to perpetuate shit so the people need its goods and services but it won't intentionally cause shit because bad PR is unnecessary and it is better to have everyone love you than hate you. The demo would ideally be the job interview and would give some bonus stuff by carrying over the save into the actual game. Otherwise it would have a mission board and some aspects similar to Megaman Battle Network.

The idea I mentioned in my intro thread where you are an merc/assassin in a stereotypical fantasy rpg setting hired by a foreign evil king to stop the marriage of a young prince and princess from the kingdoms bordering his own. This would have many different ways to choose to stop the marriage, each would feed into how the next arc of the game would play out.

...then there's of all things a resource adventure or rpg game. Not quite Harvest Moon, not quite a main storyline Crafting Quest. But you're running around doing stuff other than traditional RPG combat and working your way up to running your own city to running a kingdom to eventually possibly sending armies to invade other kingdoms to unite the world under your banner.
Lately, I've been thinking about making a parody of a Final Fantasy game in 2019ish. Could totally be my entry for 2019's Lawsuit Waiting To Happen.

Inspired by my day job, I came up with the title 'Fennel Fantasy' where Garland the Onion Knight is trying to cook up a magical recipe but it requires four ancient ingredients to make it. (Basically FF1 parody) I don't know if Garland would be playable but probably not because I had an idea of turning the classes into professions based on culinary jobs. Gordon Ramsay might make a cameo. Instead of being called 'The Warriors of Lights', they would be called something like 'The Warriors of Delight' or 'The Caterers of Fantastic Bites', something silly to rhyme with the phrase. Possible classes are a baker, bartender, butcher, pastry chef, sous chef and etc. That's as far as I got with the concept. Maybe Sir Garlic, I mean, Garland could whip me a nice hot bowl of soup when this adventure is all over. This idea is making me hungry. =)
I really want to make a trailer for my current project once this next section of the game is done but I'm dreading going back and collecting footage for it hgngmghgnghgmggh

and I can't just ask LPers for their footage to use since they played an old demo build
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I spent the last two days fixing all the bugs I caused in the process of trying to get a boss gimmick to work.
Things I tried to do:
- Get a countdown status effect working that deals damage when it wears off
- Make enemies sacrifice themselves to heal a boss for the amount of HP they have left

That should've been simple as hell but instead the side effects turned into:
- Combat now briefly pauses after every fifth of a second, and I don't know why
- I somehow made all forms of revival stop working completely
- I somehow made all forms of enemies that spawn mid-battle stop working completely
- If you die to this boss and continue from your last checkpoint, the boss music plays in the dungeon
- Enemies that revive are retaining any status effects they had before they died
- Enemies that sacrifice themselves are freezing on-screen instead of disappearing
- My skills that were based on the user's HP weren't working for some reason (but only the healing skills)
- If you die from a countdown while possessed by a ghost, the game freezes on the ghost's next turn

Also discovered some pre-existing bugs in the process which I ended up having to fix:
- Ghosts were apparently randomly turning invisible or using the wrong animations when they used certain skills and I never noticed until now
- Found out I apparently never made it possible for characters to get out of the hero's pocket before a fight, talk in a cut scene, and then actually use those sprites as party members when the fight starts instead of teleporting back into the hero's pocket first

...so, I THINK I've now fixed all of that, but god, one of these days I'm going to have to learn how to create a boss fight without rewriting 15 pages of my core combat code.
Waxius
"Someday I'll finish my game... someday.."
I have a dilemma... I'd like to have a story that spans 6-7 chapters, but also have a dungeon in each chapter. Exploring the dungeons easily take 60-90 minutes per level, and this is where the bulk of the game is played.

The question I have is... Should I allow the player to explore towns, talking with NPCS, walk around until they find the right set of actions to progress to the dungeons... OR.. should I make the chapters as long cutscenes, and let the player take over once in the dungeon?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I mean those two things will create entirely different genres of games, so I don't think you're going to get useful advice from anyone without first spending an hour or two explaining to them what kind of game you're trying to make.

And it sounds like you don't even know yet what kind of game you're trying to make, so, uh... figure that out first. And base it on what kind of game you want to play, not on what polls well in developer forums.

"Should I make an JRPG-adventure or a dungeon crawler" isn't a question you ask other people, it's a question you ask yourself.
Waxius
LockeZ,

Thanks for the advice. I've decided to keep it as a JRPG with the dungeon crawler component. What I will do is limit the fetch quests so that exploring town doesn't become tedious or unnecessary.
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
How much will I have to scale down my current project until I'm brave enough to start working on it?
LockeZ
start at You Have To Burn The Rope and work up
Gretgor
Any hints on how to conciliate a 9 to 5 work routine with amateur game devevelopment?
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
You make surprising progress if you work for just 30 minutes a night.
Waxius
I'm in the same situation as you Gretgor. Have to work on my creative outlets part-time while earning a living too.
Gretgor
You know that feeling when you have thousands of ideas burning in your mind, they're all well formed and you know the direction you want to take the game in, but you still can't bring yourself to actually start implementing it, because you don't feel ready? How to deal with that?
Waxius
author=Gretgor
You know that feeling when you have thousands of ideas burning in your mind, they're all well formed and you know the direction you want to take the game in, but you still can't bring yourself to actually start implementing it, because you don't feel ready? How to deal with that?

The only thing I can suggest is... do something, even if it's wrong. Just getting in there throwing in "show text" events will get your brain working in the right frame.

I've been working on a new battle mechanic for bosses... I started with just a simple idea... I wanted bosses to be about 4x larger than regular monsters... but HOW can you do that in RPG Maker 2003 without large sprite support?? With Pictures! I had no idea how much of a pain that would be... but I've spent over a week with it, and it's almost ready to roll out in the next update. Just a few more tweaks and I'll have a video to show you.