Y'KNOW THAT MAPPING CONTEST..

Pages: 1
Tau
RMN sex symbol
I was going to make, well I have held it off because of my studies, but now that I finally have free time to do stuff, I decided a while back that I was going to make the contest in December, which gives me the added bonus of deciding a simple and appropriate theme.. Christmas!

The reason for this topic(and why I'm making it so early) is to go over all the details regarding the contest now with everyone so when December hits we can just get straight into it without any fussing about and everyone agreed on the terms and conditions.. Haha don't know why that made me laugh.

So here's what I was thinking for the set up..

* Use any Rpgmaker or select a specific one, maybe not Rpgmaker at all?
* All participants have creative freedom on size, immersion, and playability as long as it's with the theme chosen.
* Maps must be playable so passability errors and what not will be judged
* Select 2-4 people to judge all the entries, and if chosen to judge cannot enter themselves.
* Maybe have some kind of achievement for the winners. 3 winners in total.
* Two threads made, one to show progress and discuss the contest, the other for posting all the entries in a specific format.
* Graphical range is anything you can manage to come up with, custom or not. Stay within the theme though of course.
* If you want to add a little story you may, but that wont impact on the judging, but it is a nice touch.
* Map size, as big or small as you want it to be as long as it's playbable.
* One game page will be made with all the entries placed in them.
* Two or three weeks to complete said maps.

Anymore suggestions or questions, revising of the rules I was thinking of you guys want added, edited post here.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
I love this idea, and want to pursue it as one of our two (ish) Christmas-themed contests. We can start it the day after Thanksgiving and end it on the 17th, giving us a week to judge before announcing the results on Christmas Eve or thereabouts.

Here's my suggested rule edits:

* Use any RPG Maker program (VX, since we used 2k3 for the last mapping contest)
* All participants have creative freedom on size, immersion, and playability as long as it's with the theme chosen.
* Maps must be playable so passability errors and what not will be judged
* Select 3 people to judge all the entries, and if chosen to judge cannot enter themselves.
* Achievements for winner (50 makerscore), 2nd place (30 makerscore), and participants (20 makerscore).
* Two threads made, one to show progress and discuss the contest, the other for posting all the entries in a specific format. Or an official event page!
* Graphical range is anything you can manage to come up with, custom or not. Stay within the theme though of course.
* If you want to add a little story you may, but that wont impact on the judging, but it is a nice touch.
* Map size, as big or small as you want it to be as long as it's playbable.
* One game page will be made with all the entries placed in them. This is why we need one program.
* Two or three weeks to complete said maps. Most likely from
* Use any RPG Maker program (VX, since we used 2k3 for the last mapping contest)

VX has a really shitty mapping system, man. it has two layers and they don't even work properly half the time because you can't switch between them. it also handles everything in autotiles (mapping in VX is all about using the shift key properly).

the point I'm making isn't "don't use RMVX", but that these days a lot of RMVX mapping is done in photoshop and imported as a parallax background. it makes RMVX a strange choice for a mapping competition, unless that kind of mapping was allowed—which kind of defeats the purpose, yeah?
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
author=Despain
VX has a really shitty mapping system, man. it has two layers and they don't even work properly half the time because you can't switch between them. it also handles everything in autotiles (mapping in VX is all about using the shift key properly).

the point I'm making isn't "don't use RMVX", but that these days a lot of RMVX mapping is done in photoshop and imported as a parallax background. it makes RMVX a strange choice for a mapping competition, unless that kind of mapping was allowed—which kind of defeats the purpose, yeah?

Hmm. We could use XP...

Edit: Tau, would you still like to be the host of this event?
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Ahh go ahead man, my brief free time has passed, real life has struck once again. Wouldn't mind being a judge though when this thing starts.. Or should I enter?

I think XP/2k/3 would be the best choice.. Or perhaps all three, leave it up to the entrant?
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Hmm...we may actually roll out another special project instead if you're too busy :D
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Nah I should be able to do this, Just take a little extra effort on my part. Which I don't mind by any means. PM me Deck if you want to do this together.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Despain

I thought the point of mepping contasts was to get people to 'gasm over your ~abilities~ to merge Rudras with REFMAP. If a maker supports >256 colors and a higher resolution, why not allow parallax-based mapping? It's not like that wasn't what so many of RMN-nostalgasm games did. It still takes awareness and attentiveness to make it a workable map that allows for player movement and interaction without wonkiness.
It's kind of weird. RM has always had this mentality that mapping is an important skill to visuals but really... it's just laying out where the player can and can't go. That said I Never really understood the chipset restriction obsession. As someone who makes his own graphics I just slap whatever I want into a chipset and lay it out. Chances are if I were to give that chipset to someone else s/he would be confused because the chipset was designed for a very specific layout/environment.

tldr: you're taking an environment and figuring out how the player is going to interact with it, not constructing a fucking mosaic.
Craze
I mean, yeah, if a game is fugly I'm probably not going to play it, but at the same time, <Darken's post>.
I dunno just pick a maker, come up with some rules and roll with it. People don't have to participate if they don't want to. It's better to actually make something than agonized endlessly over whether or not it is "right".
A) Make a cool map
B) Post Internet high fives
Craze
GreatRedSpirit
A) Make a cool map
B) Post Internet high fives

that's why we have a screenshot topic and game profiles
I thought the point of mepping contasts was to get people to 'gasm over your ~abilities~ to merge Rudras with REFMAP.

Whatever the point of a mapping contest is, must you constantly rehash this old rhetoric? I think your stuck in 2005 and making the same old tired jokes; being elitist and pointing out such "faults" in others by purposely misspelling words. Condemning all of RMN-kind for the past atrocities of their fore-makers. Let it go, man.

These guys just want a friendly, FUN contest and you come in with your superior nose up in the air. Making sweeping generalizations about the entire userbase of this site based on your opinions.
I'm not even sure how you came to that conclusion from such a common light jab used by most users. I think you're overreacting...
Pages: 1