SCREENSHOT THREAD WITH ONE EYEBROW AND A GOLDEN TOOTH

Was the breakthrough an Intuos3 tablet, brandon? The lines look a lot smoother now. I can't imagine where else to put shading.

However, the background doesn't match them at all. It looks like they're standing in front of a Mint Oreo shake in the process of stirring :D

Hooray for Wilfred 1!
author=BlindSight link=topic=965.msg17380#msg17380 date=1211435773
The monsters are very well done for what they're supposed to be, but I think aesthetically they'd be so much more pleasing if a tiny bit more shading were to be applied. I don't know if that was your initial intention, but as it is they're very flat-looking.

Well I try my best man. But keep in mind that in American cartooning, minimal/no shading is generally considered acceptable (see image at bottom of post).

But yeah that's really no excuse because I *did* shade the cartoon but still failed to convey shape. I'm working on it but seriously man I am artistically extremely mediocre but competent. I have always been way too conservative on shadows (not enough of them and not dark enough) so a lot of the stuff I draw always looks flat. However I think my lineart has made enormous strides (and really that's the important part when cartooning)!

author=BlindSight link=topic=965.msg17380#msg17380 date=1211435773
Edit: ALSO A NEW WILFRED GAME. :)

Actually I released a prototype of this in March I guess this is what our friendship is worth :(

author=VideoWizard link=topic=965.msg17387#msg17387 date=1211442670
Was the breakthrough an Intuos3 tablet, brandon? The lines look a lot smoother now. I can't imagine where else to put shading.

Hooray for Wilfred 1!

Actually it is a Graphire 4 I think? It's a really small one but whatever it's slick and I don't think I'll ever be serious enough to justify spending more than $100 or so one a tablet. I've had it for awhile but I just recently really figured out how to use it to its full potential. Some of my old cartoons used it but the lines still looked moused.

Anyway the problem with the shading is that I have less than a 50% ratio highlights to shade. I just need a lot more of it (at least I understand the problem).

author=VideoWizard link=topic=965.msg17387#msg17387 date=1211442670
However, the background doesn't match them at all. It looks like they're standing in front of a Mint Oreo shake in the process of stirring :D

That is the RMVX default battle background. Changing the code to that is not really a priority of mine right now (I might swap in a solid grey back or something for the time being).

Whatever screw you guys I am SUPER PROUD OKAY

Image for reference:

author=brandonabley link=topic=965.msg17401#msg17401 date=1211468267
But yeah that's really no excuse because I *did* shade the cartoon but still failed to convey shape. I'm working on it but seriously man I am artistically extremely mediocre but competent. I have always been way too conservative on shadows (not enough of them and not dark enough) so a lot of the stuff I draw always looks flat. However I think my lineart has made enormous strides (and really that's the important part when cartooning)!
Line-art is arguably one of the key elements for these types of design, yeah... and you're right that there is no shame in simplicity. However, consider that you'll lack one major advantage such animators inherently have; animating the material. Without the prospect of giving fluidity and expressive movement to these creatures, the audience is going to have to settle for static content. That alone is not necessarily a huge issue, but all I was saying is that what your audience initially sees is what they're going to ultimately come away, and in that sense, providing a bit more detail wouldn't HURT anything. And again, I'm not trying to insinuate your style is lacking at all, and honestly I don't even know why I came off on this tangent, but it's worth thinking about. =[
author=BlindSight link=topic=965.msg17407#msg17407 date=1211475742
However, consider that you'll lack one major advantage such animators inherently have; animating the material.

Maybe I am animating!

Or maybe

I am not a very good artist :(
At least you tried. I'm not good and I don't bother to draw my own work in my game.
Screw you guys I think that my shading is fine :(

Wow man, that is honestly a phenomenal improvement in just a few short hours! Who needs Teo anymore!
Media blow out from Epic of Zoon, check the updated website. http://www.freewebs.com/epicofzoon/index.htm
Images from the new media page:

Fyi: Mapping is now 90% done and gameplay is being worked on with the intro complete. Feedback, suggestions welcome.

@Brandon: I really like the new style man, much better than the old monsters...fits in and all.
@Verridian: If someone wants to offer me their skills in pixel art than yes they are but atm it looks like they will be there to stay.
I really like the look of this "Epic of Zoon" game, minus one thing. All characters walk normal, and the maps are a panoramic styled view. perhaps you should do diagnol movement.
Abley! That latest one is fantastic. :)
I really look forward to seeing some more from you! I heavily anticipate your RS submission! I enjoyed your last demo, so I trust you won't disappoint. ^_^

And sanosuke, these latest screenshots are looking great, your style is becoming more refined and solid all the time. Good work! I only hope it's not too awkward walking around in an isometric environment, but I don't imagine it'll be a problem.
@everyone that posted a image- These all look awesome, especially sanosuke's, i like the look of the characters.
author=macubex12 link=topic=965.msg17492#msg17492 date=1211528529

That's original work right? It looks pretty solid man. It's really busy, grimy, and saturated in ways that pixel art usually isn't.
@Myersguy: I tried 8-way but events get messed up so no 8way. But it isn't terrible to move or anything.
@Chartley: Thanks man, glad you noticed, yeah it won't be too bad to move around.
@DD: :) Thank you.
That's original work right? It looks pretty solid man. It's really busy, grimy, and saturated in ways that pixel art usually isn't.
That's Star Ocean. The towns in that game seem to be a lot more grimy than everything else in the game. It works really well, actually.
Tau
RMN sex symbol

A town I'm making for Macubex' game Eternal Night. Does the Theo mix well with the Star Ocean tiles?
The graphics work well enough that it doesn't bother me at all.
I really like the look of the sprites. Are they custom?

~Sion
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Yeah sorta, just edited shit from Velsabor sprites, and they wont be used in Macs game, seeing as that's the main character of Guardia, just needed a place holder, and thanks!
There is something I really like about that screen shot macubex; I'm not sure what though...perhaps how everything feels "busy" and "complete"
Hey thanks Xeno, that's sort of what I was going for. I know I'll add a few more things here and there but I just want to move forward.

Bring out Winter bro, I can't wait. You already have bonus points from me since I'm accustomed (sorta look forward) to that whole japanese samurai setting.