INTERNET BLACKLISTING, SAVE THE INTERNET!

BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
I petition that we have this site participate in National Censorship Day (late as it is) and have our logo blocked in protest for the rest of today at least.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
So if these e-borders start blazing to life, will we all never be able to talk again?
BurningTyger
Nonsense. We'll find a way. Besides I doubt this is going to turn into Oceania and the government into Big Brother. No sense taking any chances though.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
The moral of this is: Money talks.

If the bill does pass, no big deal. It'll just mean the USA will further accelerate its decline as an economic and cultural superpower.
We slowly move toward a Minority Report type future. Just waiting for them to propose "thought police".
BurningTyger
Not on my watch! *is going to do some of the other petitions shortly*
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Way to betray the very principles upon which your country was founded, Amerika

...I (half-)kid. Still, the fact that this kind of bill stands any chance of being passed is an outrage in this day and age. For great justice! *signs petitions like a boss*
author=KingArthur

If the bill does pass, no big deal. It'll just mean the USA will further accelerate its decline as an economic and cultural superpower.

Yeah money talks. Firefox and Google have too much money and influence to let this pass. They've been on this shit for a while, so this is nothing new.
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
I subscribed to a newsletter about this, and even signed a petition, and they stated that they have over 500 thousand signatures and growing, so I'm worried, but not a great deal.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=KingArthur

: (
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
author=Feldschlacht IV
author=KingArthur

Yeah money talks. Firefox and Google have too much money and influence to let this pass. They've been on this shit for a while, so this is nothing new.
You spoke too soon.

Then again, the House Judiciary Committee's chairman is also the bill's primary sponsor, so that kicks any credibility of the committee and the hearing straight out the damned window.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Oh noes my pron!!!!
Looks like your mind is literally full of fuck ;-)
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
This better not pass. They are doing it for the money. Make the movies better dumb asses.
There are a lot of industries running with the same business model they were running with all through the second half of the past century. As is the fate of all institutions, an uncreative authoritarian bureacracy rejects change for rapidly changing times and instead of modernizing themselves, they send lobbyists to change the laws in order to preserve their outdated status quo.

I'm glad people are on the ball with the subject :D The internet, as is, is the future of our world and humanity's next step on the path to world peace.

Any US Residents here, I would recommend a phone call or even a visit to your representative. An online petition is nice, but direct confrontation has more lasting impact. Lack of activism on this subject will have us railroaded into their dopey feudalistic Internet2.

As for me in Canada, I make monthly donations to OpenMedia.ca and the occasional extra lump sum. I'm not sure what else to do :x We're very asleep and unorganized up here in beaverland.
Freedom of speech > everything else in the US.

If someone thinks seriously this will pass.... it will not, because congress will say this isn't China. Then they'll decline it immediately. China has heavy restrictions.

Violent video games (including Mario) were going to get banned but Congress said 1st ammendment.

This is one of those... people are bored and need to tie up court time with stupidity. Next thing you know they'll have population control go to congress. You can only have 2 kids, no more. Then they'll laugh and say this isn't China. Then something new and stupid will appear.
BurningTyger
People have been known to do stupid things in the name of "morality." Case in point: Prohibition.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I remember this exact thing from ten years ago. No, I mean literally this exact bill. They have been trying to pass this kind of crap since the first days of the internet. And for sixty years before that, with TV and radio. It hasn't yet made it to even being voted on.

The only people in favor of it are a handful of megacorporations in the entertainment industry. The senators pretending to "support" it are playing a game (which they've been playing for two hundred years) which involves promising to do things that they know they can never do so that the corporations will donate to their re-election campaign funds. If something like this actually happened there would be riots in the streets in every city and they know it. (And, more importantly than the riots, the senators who voted in favor of it would not be re-elected.)
author=LockeZ
If something like this actually happened there would be riots in the streets in every city and they know it.

I highly doubt there would be riots over this. Probably more of the same "Oh well, world sux. Can't be helped" response we get from stuff like the Patriot Act. If this bill actually passes, application will be slow to unroll and we won't feel the effects for a decade or so. Boiling frog. Unless some megacrisis suddenly happened and oh shitz we needz tu censor duh netz fer yer own safe-T.

On the bright side, time is on our side. Too many people love the internet the way it is to allow crooked politicians to wreck it, and our numbers grow daily.