A UNIQUE PROBLEM...

Pages: 1
I'm sort of revisiting an old RM2k3 problem, and am curious if there's a workaround I can't think of.

The problem is simply this. I have a character with a "Steal" command that steals an item from an enemy and displays a text box saying the item was stolen. Simple enough? Except it's got this big ugly text box with lots of unnecessary space:

The workaround I'm trying to do right now is to display a battle animation that actually shows the new, smaller window, then calls a common event that runs:
Message Display Options: Transp, Top, Fixed
Stole Item!
Message Display Options: Normal, Bottom, Auto

In theory, the message display options should just work like it would outside of battle, but Enterbain in his infinite wisdom decided this command would still display the message window border, so I get stuck with this:

If that's still a little confusing to you, here's a simple version:

Yellow is what I want. Blue is what I don't want.

Anyone know of another workaround aside from creating images for the "Stole Item" messages?

Cherry, if you're reading this, I'd use your PicsInBattle patch but it doesn't work with my game exe, so a simple hex edit to get rid of that border would be awesome. :)
I'm not sure of this... but if you're not using animated backgrounds, how about changing both the system set and the battle background right before the text message, and change them back afterwards? - Of course, you'd need a border-less system skin and a copy of each background in your game with the battle window photoshoped on it, but if you don't have too many, this may be a decent workaround.
Yeaaah I do not remember running into this problem with or without patches. Alterego said it best, change the system graphic so that it's invisible. The battle system menus will have what's set BEFORE the battle starts
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
You could also make the text also be part of the battle animation. You don't actually need to display a real message at all.

Well, you'd need a seperate image file and seperate animation for each stolen item, and depending on the scope of your game this might not be something you're willing to spend the time on. But it's an idea that would work.
I really don't think the big window looks ugly.
author=alterego
I'm not sure of this... but if you're not using animated backgrounds, how about changing both the system set and the battle background right before the text message, and change them back afterwards? - Of course, you'd need a border-less system skin and a copy of each background in your game with the battle window photoshoped on it, but if you don't have too many, this may be a decent workaround.

Actually, strangely enough, half of this works. You don't need to change the background at all! I created a system set without the window border, and every time a Steal message window is called, I changed the system to the noborder version, and then back to the regular version, like so:

Change System Graphics: ej-systemfinal-noborder
Message Display Options: Transp, Top, Fixed
Stole Item!
Message Display Options: Normal, Bottom, Auto
Change System Graphics: ej-systemfinal

I'm guessing because the main battle window at the bottom is already cached, this bit of code doesn't affect it, which is simply perfect! Thanks for the suggestion!
Okay, in this case I don't have write any edits. Nice.

However what do you mean with PicsInBattle patch doesn't work? Just curious.
author=Cherry
Okay, in this case I don't have write any edits. Nice.

However what do you mean with PicsInBattle patch doesn't work? Just curious.

Oh, I use an already heavily modified version of Power Mode ("1.9") and PicsInBattle was only written for rm23k 1.7 & 1.8 so the checksum failed when I tried to patch it.
Pages: 1