INDIE GAMES GETTING ATTENTION

Pages: first 12 next last
I remember seeing some games by an indie game company called Freebird games, I think one of their games, quintessence, is on this very website, perhaps all of them.

I frequent various game related websites and I noticed GameSpot ran a review of their latest game game presumably made in RPGMaker: To the Moon.

It got a MetaCritic score of 90, as of this post. Has anyone played it? It's very good, and emotional. The premise itself can cause you to shed a tear.

Anyways I think it's cool that a game made with RPGMaker is slugging it out better than other commercial games. And to note, this game really is far more story based than gameplay.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
Ah, indie devs. Forwarding the gaming community and breaking up the monotony of "General Lack of Color Shooter X"
RPG Maker has always been an indie community and it's games have always been recognized as indie so this isn't really new to me.
author=supremewarrior
RPG Maker has always been an indie community and it's games have always been recognized as indie so this isn't really new to me.

This isn't the news that I bring. :blink:
author=Radnen
author=supremewarrior
Well aren't you just making a topic on how a RPG Maker game is getting praise for once better than commercial games?
author=supremewarrior
author=Radnen
author=supremewarrior
Well aren't you just making a topic on how a RPG Maker game is getting praise for once better than commercial games?

How many Metacritic games are RPGMaker games? Sure there are tones of indie games out there, but not those of which that use RPGMaker. That's the news, not that in general indie games are getting attention but now RPGMaker.

I guess one could say it was just a matter of time.

Plus RPGMaker games aren't released through common channels (WiiWare, or XBLA) which makes it very interesting.
author=supremewarrior

Really? I think there's a clear distinction between "Indie" and "Amateur" that some of us would just like to pretend it doesn't exist.

author=Radnen
It got a MetaCritic score of 90... Has anyone played it? It's very good, and emotional. The premise itself can cause you to shed a tear.

All artsy-fartsy games always have high scores. Either because people don't understand them or because they think they do. xP
sometimes it's the games you'd least expect....

remember Laxius Power/Laxius Force?! Bleh.
author=alterego
author=supremewarrior
Really? I think there's a clear distinction between "Indie" and "Amateur" that some of us would just like to pretend it doesn't exist.

author=Radnen
It got a MetaCritic score of 90... Has anyone played it? It's very good, and emotional. The premise itself can cause you to shed a tear.

All artsy-fartsy games always have high scores. Either because people don't understand them or because they think they do. xP

I don't think that the distinction is clear, there is no real definition for an indie game and an amateur game. The line is very thin for both it's sometmes blurred.

@Radnen: This is still not news to me because there have been many other RPG Maker XP games that have gotten media attention, this is just one more of those games.
@supreme warrior: the news is GameSpot, GameInformer, and IGN. I visit these sites regularly, and nowhere have I seen an RPGMaker game get that kind of attention. Also when has a GameSpot HotSpot ever been done about any other RM game?

It's quite crazy despite being a 4.5 hour game. It's a positive sign for the community.
Yeah, I think it's great that a lot of Indie Games are finally getting recognized and being more than just, "Hey, did you ever play that game? No, what the fuck is it?" sort of thing...

*grunts* Now...if only some of 'us' would get the recognition we so -- rightfully -- deserve, then I can sleep better at night.
author=Killer Wolf
Feedback/constructive criticism is important in helping you grow/improve, so I'm not talking about ignoring people who try to point things out to help you, more like you just have to let it sort itself out when you don't get the attention you want. Also, I've had to learn to avoid the trap of feeling like my work doesn't get the attention it "deserves". We create things for ourselves, with our own time and effort. The audience owes us nothing. The burden is on the entertainer.
author=Radnen
@supreme warrior: the news is GameSpot, GameInformer, and IGN. I visit these sites regularly, and nowhere have I seen an RPGMaker game get that kind of attention. Also when has a GameSpot HotSpot ever been done about any other RM game?

It's quite crazy despite being a 4.5 hour game. It's a positive sign for the community.
RPG Maker games have been always been featured in game magazines and I see this as an equal in terms of exposure besides it's GameSpot and other game review sites nothing makes them special because they are just reviewers with their own opinions as well, it's great to get the recognition I will say that much.

author=kentona
author=Killer Wolf
Feedback/constructive criticism is important in helping you grow/improve, so I'm not talking about ignoring people who try to point things out to help you, more like you just have to let it sort itself out when you don't get the attention you want. Also, I've had to learn to avoid the trap of feeling like my work doesn't get the attention it "deserves". We create things for ourselves, with our own time and effort. The audience owes us nothing. The burden is on the entertainer.

Pretty much this, although getting recognition for your work is indeed a big bonus, most people on here just make whatever they feel like making, they just turn a game vision into a reality. This is why I like the indie community so much, because it's full of developers that don't need to adhere to industry standards which allows freedom and creativity to flow and gives us great games that the gaming industry would have never made anyway.
Has anyone played it? It's very good, and emotional.

I can't agree. I found it quite boring. Just another XP RTP game...
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
" This is why I like the indie community so much, because it gives us great games that the gaming industry would have never made."

I totally agree with that, I would just add : sometimes.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=kentona
author=Killer Wolf

Please don't quote this like it's absolute fact: I didn't agree in the first place. But I really don't want to get into that argument here. It's a valid philosophical position toward artistic endeavor, but it's not the only one.

Freebird Games © 2006-2011 Kan "Reives" Gao

HOLY FUCKING SHIT YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOCAL BOY DONE GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Man I feel like a goddamn Cassandra. I was giving this guy rave reviews on damn RPGMaker.net before he made it big. I hope as Reives continues his skyward climb he'll remember the little people.

Forgetting about this, are we?
It's really fortunate that the game has been getting some spotlight; I'm really grateful for it. Hopefully it helps a bit to open the gate for shedding some light on games from the RM community and others too in the future; there're many projects out here that really deserve it. Fingers crossed!
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Didn't realize it was Reives, this guy is REALLY, really exceptional.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I think the major defining factor between Indie and Amateur, is if you can promote it enough off sites like this and get people to PAY for it.

If I got someone to shell out $10 for a pile of poop like THIS(when it's done)
Then it would be an Indie game, rather than an Amateur game.

If you look at that To the Moon game... it looks good. But it doesn't look any more or less good than some of the top games here! Maybe this is a lesson? Post gams on RMN for feedback, fix said game up and release it for cash elsewhere? CHA-CHING!
Pages: first 12 next last