RM2K3 PROGRAMMING HELP

Pages: 1
Hey, I'm need some help with a problem I have in rm2k3, specifically the battle animations for weapons.

I'm doing the thing where you have your battlecharaset fade out, and the weapon animation includes your character walking over to the enemy and doing the attack.

No problems there, it works just fine. One thing I noticed was that a particular weapon can only be used by one character. I couldn't figure out a way for a specific weapon to have two different attack animations for two different characters.

For the most part, this wasn't a problem either, except for one detail. I have a character who constantly changes between one outfit and another (it's a suit of armor he wears). I wanted to maintain the exact same character, all stats, equipment, etc between the two. I have a common event which transfers all his stats/equipment over.

So my problem is a sword meant for the character without armor won't have the proper attack animation for a sword meant for the same guy wearing armor.

If there's a way to have the same weapon do two different attack animations let me know, that would make everything easier.

If not - what are my options?

Not having armor and no armor versions of the same character is not an option. Any help/suggestions?
I can tell you from the start that an item cannot have 2 animations at the same time.

So, let me see if I got it right:

You have a guy with two different armors, but same stats. The 2 armors have different appearances, but he only has one sword, right?

Basically, you want to have an animation for each suit of armor, applied to the same weapon. Correct?

If that's what you want, my suggestion would be:

- I'll assume you already have the 2 armor sets, and the 2 different attack animations.
- Copy your sword, and paste it as a new item. It is an exact clone (Name, stats, cost, etc), except for one thing: the battle animation. Link the second animation to this second sword.
- Whenever the character switches armor, make it so he/she switches sword as well...
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
In the weapon properties, you can't change the normal animation based on the person using it, but you can change the pose based on the person using it. If you make a pose that includes the sword-slash animation, you can leave the actual battle animation blank.

I hope you know what I mean by "pose" because I don't have RM here at work and I can't remember how to do this crap. I know it's possible though.
author=LockeZ
In the weapon properties, you can't change the normal animation based on the person using it, but you can change the pose based on the person using it. If you make a pose that includes the sword-slash animation, you can leave the actual battle animation blank.

I hope you know what I mean by "pose" because I don't have RM here at work and I can't remember how to do this crap. I know it's possible though.

The battle animation style I'm using is different from the default setup. The "battlepose" is just the character disappearing. And the attack animation that is inflicted on the enemy includes the image of the character in it.

Like so.

author=Large
If that's what you want, my suggestion would be:

- I'll assume you already have the 2 armor sets, and the 2 different attack animations.
- Copy your sword, and paste it as a new item. It is an exact clone (Name, stats, cost, etc), except for one thing: the battle animation. Link the second animation to this second sword.
- Whenever the character switches armor, make it so he/she switches sword as well...

Your analysis of my situation is absolutely correct.

However, the problem with your solution is that AFTER the character changes outfits, even if I adjust for the correct sword then, the gamer has to be allowed to enter the menu and change his weapon. At that point, you can't make sure he's wearing the weapon version with the correct animation. I want to avoid duplicates in inventory (one for each), AND I don't want the gamer to ever know there was a difference.

Thanks for responding, though guys. NewBlack told me to try a perpetual check system in common events, and I'm doing that. He said it's really tedious though, so I'm open to any other suggestions.
Here's another idea-in-a-second:

Don't link any animation, just the disappearing battle character. Then, on each monster group, you put as trigger:

If Hero uses [Fight] command

Then a conditional branch:

If [Monster 1]
If [Armor 1] equipped
Show battle animation [Animation 1] Target [Monster 1]
If [Armor 2] equipped
Show battle animation [Animation 1] Target [Monster 1]

And then rinse and repeat for each monster in the group.

Now, I just checked the battle system, and it won't offer the "If Item equipped" conditional branch, but you can have a common event as a parallel process, checking if the Armor is equipped, and if so, turning ON Switch "Armor 1 Equipped".

Then check for the Switch and proceed as explained above.

Would that work?
that sounds insanely tedious, but yes it might work

the previously suggested method was to check if the wrong weapon is equipped and replace it automatically - nothing to do with the battle eventing

If Hero(outfitA) has longsword(B) equipped:
Unequip Hero(outfitA) weapon
Change item: longsword (B) remove
Equip Hero(outfitA) longsword(A)

that way, there's no duplicate, and in an official release, I'd remove the (a)/(b) tags

I'm open to ideas for the off chance someone has an idea that's less tedious, or downright genius. I appreciate the help though, Large.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Sauce
However, the problem with your solution is that AFTER the character changes outfits, even if I adjust for the correct sword then, the gamer has to be allowed to enter the menu and change his weapon. At that point, you can't make sure he's wearing the weapon version with the correct animation. I want to avoid duplicates in inventory (one for each), AND I don't want the gamer to ever know there was a difference.

Why would you need to make sure? If he wields the wrong one, the common event will quietly and instantly change it to the right one as soon as he exits the menu. The player can choose to equip whichever one happens to be in his inventory, and when he leaves the menu, the common event will fix it so the character is using the right weapon.

Your last post is almost right, except that you need to add one longsword to the player's inventory between steps 3 and 4. The way you have it right now works fine if the player only has one longsword (since the equip event command gives you the item if you don't already have it), but if he's carrying several longswords then every time he changes outfits one will be deleted. Anyway, make that a parallel process common event and it should work perfectly. A common event with only five commands is about as un-tedious as you can get.
That just sounds lie what I had proposed in the first place; a duplicate. Am I missing something?
LockeZ
No, that's pretty much it. He just needed a more detailed explanation of exactly how to do it I think.
author=Large
That just sounds lie what I had proposed in the first place; a duplicate. Am I missing something?

You said "when he changes armors." The check needs to happen all the time, because you can go on and equip a "wrong" weapon after the outfit switch. Maybe you don't even have a right weapon in your inventory. During the course of the game, there's going to be a bunch of "wrong" swords in your inventory you can equip.

From before I even posted the question, I had the inventory set up so that there are two identical swords with different animations. I came to that conclusion already. The problem was the issue of duplicate swords in inventory.

=============================================================

@LockeZ

That's for each weapon he can possibly use. And double. I need a reverse process for B to A. Not the end of the world, really I wanted to know if there was anyway to combine the weapons, and alternate animations.

Also, if you event that the character equips an item he doesn't have, it'll automatically give him one. I did tests with empty inventories. Step 2 of unequipping the wrong sword will mean that you have ONE at least in inventory to remove.

LockeZ
I recommend actually changing the un-equipped weapons to the "right" one also, so that the player can't ever have both at the same time.

Also, uh, hmm. Weapons don't let you use different animations or poses for each character, but skills let you at least use different poses (the "animation" to the left of the battle animation on the skills page). Maybe make the weapon invoke a skill when used, and make the skill have different poses for different characters. (Remember you can set a normal battle animation as a pose!)

Edit: I was gonna say this is just as much work as before since you have to make a skill for every item. But you don't, actually. You only need one attack skill, and every weapon in the game can use it. The downside is, skills can't crit. (They also can't miss, but that's not something I'd expect people to complain about.)
Interestingly enough, one thing I can't avoid is seeing Longsword or whatever sword in inventory twice potentially.

Because it would be

Longsword x2 (armor version)
Longsword x4 (non armor version)

they won't stack, despite identical names, their ID is different
LockeZ
Right, which is why you make the common event parallel process that always replaces all the wrong ones with the right one. Both equipped and unequipped ones get changed to the "right" one as soon as the menu is closed.

They will still be able to have both types under one specific condition. If they have one type, and go into a shop and buy the other type, and then go to the shop's "sell" page before closing the shop, it'll show both, because the parallel process doesn't run until leaving the shop. But this is pretty minor because who the hell is going to buy a sword they already have that only one character can use?
I contemplated getting rid of normal attack altogether, and having a skill mimick "regular attack" zero MP cost, with varying animations for both character outfits. But that limits my ability to have different looking swords when equipping different swords. Flame sword just wouldn't look right without the flames.
author=LockeZ
Right, which is why you make the common event parallel process that always replaces all the wrong ones with the right one. Both equipped and unequipped ones get changed to the "right" one as soon as the menu is closed.

They will still be able to have both types under one specific condition. If they have one type, and go into a shop and buy the other type, and then go to the shop's "sell" page before closing the shop, it'll show both, because the parallel process doesn't run until leaving the shop. But this is pretty minor because who the hell is going to buy a sword they already have that only one character can use?

The workaround for the shop problem would be not using Buy&Sell shops at all, but having a buy/sell choice outside of the default shop and then invoking a buy-only or sell-only shop accordingly.
LockeZ
A simpler workaround would probably be to just have the shop change its contents depending on your outfit, so it always sells the right swords.
Pages: 1