TRANSFERRING RPG MAKER 2K3 MAPS

Pages: first 12 next last
So, I finally have a mapper on my team. Now, here's the thing: He's making maps in an older database than mine, and I'm not sure how to transfer his maps over to my database. Is it possible to do between different versions without having to have the same version, or do we need to have the same exact map version to do this? @_@

I'm quite certain that it was possible to do this anyways in 2k3. If not, then is there a way of doing this without having each other conflict with one another with working on this?

Hopefully I'm asking in the right section and in the right way. Don't want to make myself look like a fool doing so @_@
author=Xenomic
So, I finally have a mapper on my team. Now, here's the thing: He's making maps in an older database than mine, and I'm not sure how to transfer his maps over to my database. Is it possible to do between different versions without having to have the same version, or do we need to have the same exact map version to do this? @_@

I'm quite certain that it was possible to do this anyways in 2k3. If not, then is there a way of doing this without having each other conflict with one another with working on this?

Hopefully I'm asking in the right section and in the right way. Don't want to make myself look like a fool doing so @_@

Which version is your mapper using: 95, 2k, or a game system version? 95 must be impossible to transfer unless you like remaking maps on old computers, and trying to place them on a new computer, if it's a game system computer...it's even worse and your almost screwed...you can import 2000 games into 2003 though, and it does great! 2000, that's the only way you can get maps to one another, but you may need 2000 yourself if you want your 2003 game to work on his 2000 game, and by 2003, I mean 2000, and by work, I mean be able to play and test and edit the game on 2000...because you can only import one way. You'll figure it out soon enough!
I think I didn't make that clear lol...basically, the gist is we both use RPG Maker 2k3. It's just that he's using an older version of my game (slightly older. I have a few more maps that I made myself that he doesn't on his, and he just made new maps on his that's meant for mine). I'm just wondering it it's possible to take his maps and put them into my RPG Maker 2k3. Hope that helps ^^;
author=Xenomic
I think I didn't make that clear lol...basically, the gist is we both use RPG Maker 2k3. It's just that he's using an older version of my game (slightly older. I have a few more maps that I made myself that he doesn't on his, and he just made new maps on his that's meant for mine). I'm just wondering it it's possible to take his maps and put them into my RPG Maker 2k3. Hope that helps ^^;
OH, then no...no there isn't...at least that I know of...
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any damage the following post may cause to you, your mapper, your computer, your mapper's computer, your game, or any other relevant individual or object thereof. It has been a while since I used RM2K(3) in any intricate fashion and I am writing the following post based upon memory of how RM2K(3) functions. As always, take backups before doing anything!

First, you need to make sure the map tree in the receiving game already acknowledges the new maps to be transferred over. Things get a little complicated since you and your mapper both made maps in your respective games.

The easiest way I see is to create however many new blank maps in the receiving game so that the new blank maps equal the number of new maps your mapper mapped. If your mapper made 5 new maps, make 5 blank maps in your receiving game and so forth.

Now comes the easy part: After performing the above, close the receiving game in RM2K3 and copy over the relevant MapXXXX.lmu files, where XXXX is the ID of the maps in question, from your mapper's game to your receiving game. The MapXXXX.lmu files contain the actual data of the maps themselves and is what you want to transfer over. If Windows asks whether to overwrite the files, say Yes, but make sure you've backed everything up beforehand.

Following this, you'll need to rearrange the maps in whatever way you need as the receiving map tree will not reflect the mapper's game's map tree. You will also need to make sure events and such will function properly, if there are any. Besides such technicalities though, you are finished.
So let me make sure I got this down. Just make 5 new blank spots (or however many I need) equal to how many my other mapper has made, then close game, transfer maps over and rename them appropriately, and then open right? So it's possible to do if I have say...Map #492-496 and my mapper has made maps on #492-496, I just make 5 new ones, rename those 5 my mapper made, and I can transfer them over like that? So I'd need to have a 497-501, then name his files as such and it'll work that way, or do they need to be named exactly the same on both ends to work as such?
KingArthur
Names don't matter as they're just the map's IDs. If you have #492~496 and the maps to be transferred are also #492~496, make 5 new blank maps (#497~501) and then copy over your mapper's #492~496 but rename them to #497~501 before actually placing them in the receiving game. The end result is you overwrite your blank #497~501 maps with your mapper's #492~496 maps.
Ahhhh. I'll give that a try then and see if that'll work as you say.Will report back when I actually get to it. Do appreciate the help though ^^
Awesometastic. Worked like a charm~ Much obliged for your help! This'll make my life a lot easier now that I have someone helping me on this, and I can transfer his files into this game as well @_@
KingArthur
Glad to hear it worked; I was worried that I might have forgotten a minor detail or two.
I actually tried to do that in reverse too. I had the maker opened when I transferred the new maps in (don't know why I thought that'd work...), then closed it and tried to open it to see if that did it. So I was pretty much on the exact right path, just a couple steps reversed. Which is funny because I didn't know if that was right or not as I never tried it before x_x;;
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
You can also just:
- Open one game
- Click on the map name in the list of maps on the lower left
- Press Ctrl-C to copy
- Open the other game
- Click in the place in the list of maps on the lower left where you want the map to go
- Press Ctrl-V to paste

>_>

Regardless of which method you use, remember you'll need to redo any teleports that go to any of the new maps.
author=LockeZ
You can also just:
- Open one game
- Click on the map name in the list of maps on the lower left
- Press Ctrl-C to copy
- Open the other game
- Click in the place in the list of maps on the lower left where you want the map to go
- Press Ctrl-V to paste

>_>

Regardless of which method you use, remember you'll need to redo any teleports that go to any of the new maps.

...or download RPG Maker 2009 ultimate and open both games at the same time. Makes things easier if you copy more than one map.

(This has an advantage over the LMU method: Not all information is stored in the LMU files, some information (like the name, the encounter info, etc.) is stored in the LMT file.)
That would be nice (didn't know you could open more than one 2K3 project at once) except that I don't have 2 different versions of my game (I guess I COULD copy/paste my game without all of the music into a different folder, but that's still a pretty large folder regardless x_x). I also noticed that with the LMU method (luckily, I don't have to worry about encounter info as I'm the one that has to take care of that. Though not having names might be troublesome at some points). The only thing I'm having my mapper do at the moment is just make the maps, and if there's any specific events that need done (like making a switch to move to the next floor), I just have him leave a comment in that event for me to do later. So I think for now the LMU method is the simpler way of doing it for me (it shouldn't matter TOO much now, since now me and my mapper have the same LMT file and maps now...right?)
KingArthur
I knew there was an easier (and safer) way to copy maps that I was forgetting, goes to show I need to dabble with RM2K(3) again. Oh well, good ol' Rube Goldberg machines I guess?

EDIT: About the lack of names when transferring the LMU files: You could possibly have your mapper leave a dummy event somewhere on the map with a Comment inside that has the map's name in it.
I wouldn't overcomplicate it. Copying and pasting the maps right from the map tree works perfectly. If you're mindful of the individual Map IDs when you copy, you won't even need to redo the teleport events. (For example, if it's Map225 on his, make sure you're pasting it as YOUR 225 map.)

My teammate and I work separately on the same project and combine periodically. We just keep track of everything we do, and rarely do both of us work on the database simultaneously. Combining and transferring is pretty easy if you keep track of the maps made, etc.
If anything DOES somehow happen, at least I have my backup file on my external (I am NOT going to lose this game at all...not when I put this much effort into the bloody thing). Copy/pasting the maps from the map tree would be nice if I didn't already have maps on those IDs to begin with. It works perfectly fine as we're doing right now (aside from having him sending me his maps, I'm having him send me his IMT file too, so that should take care of everything that MIGHT go wrong...I hope...?)

I'm just saying I wouldn't mess with the files themselves. Just do everything in the map tree, it's much easier. Almost impossible for anything to go wrong there. Replacing and/or renaming map files is totally unnecessary.

If your mapper is just making maps, have him make the maps in a dummy game folder just for making maps with an identical listing of tilesets in the database. No music, nothing, just chipsets and charasets necessary to do the mapping. It would be a pretty small file transfer.

Then, he sends you the dummy game. You copy the maps one by one from his to yours. Then, the map ID is totally irrelevant. (when you copy and paste maps in the map tree, it just gives the pasted map the next available map ID)

If your situation is that you're updating old maps that you already have, but one guy has events and the other guy has the mapping -
1. Go to edit the map with the mapping. Using the select highlight the entire map.
2. Go to edit the map with the events. Paste the entire selection from the proper mapping.
3. Add in the event layer mapping pieces afterwards.
4. Make sure you're using the same tileset (assuming that was also changed)
Moving and replacing map files can't accomplish this.

Seriously, I wouldn't recommend messing with the files. I combine projects with my teammate weekly; it takes all of 10 minutes if you know exactly what you need to combine.

So to make sure I got it clearly: Copy/paste the maps/tilesets/chipsets/etc. that are needed into a blank folder (doesn't need anything else). Then he sends just that folder, and (probably using 2k9 since I hear that can have multiple projects open at once) copy/paste accordingly into my main project. I'll let him know this as well so that we're on the same page.
Yeah, you don't need to move any .lmu files at all.

From the map tree in the dummy game, right click copy/CTRL+C the desired maps, then open up your main game and paste it wherever you need it. It'll auto assign the next available map ID.

When you paste the map, it'll have the dummy game's tileset ID. So if your dummy game's volcano set is tileset ID 10, but tileset ID 10 on your real game is forest, you'll see forest after you paste. All you gotta do is go into its properties and choose the correct tileset after you've transferred. Or have the same tileset listings in both games. This is usually pretty obvious, but just in case you didn't know that...

If you're replacing an old map completely, not adding a new one:
A.) Take note of the map ID of the map you're replacing.
B.) Delete it.
C.) Paste in the new map. Assuming you didn't have any unused map IDs at lower numbers, it will replace and take the map ID of the map you just deleted.
D.) If you DID have unused IDs, just paste in a couple "filler" maps until you get one that has the correct ID and then get rid of the fillers. (I dunno if there's an easier way, but that's pretty simple)

Pages: first 12 next last