WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER IMPORTING HELP

Pages: first 12 next last
This is a simple problem (I hope). I have been working on my movie to my Zelda fangame, and so I started by looking for music to go with it. I found one, but it's in MIDI format, which can't be imported into Windows Movie Maker. Is there a way past this? And if not, is there a way to convert the file format into some recognizable format?

Truth be told, I would prefer a converter if one exists. I could use it for so many other things and purposes.
I think WinAmp can convert anything it can play into a WAV file. I don't recall how at the moment, but it can give you a place to start looking.
Thanks I'll start looking into it.

Wait...... How do I convert the file? (disregard question from before I got it now.)
Download WinAmp (free), open the song, click file, click Export as WAV.
There is no export option in any of the menus... if it were that easy I probably wouldn't have asked...

Can you send a screenshot or something showing where this option is because I can't find it anywhere.
How to export anything Winamp can play into a WAV file:

1) Turn off repeat
2) Ctrl+P with Winamp, go to Plugins->Output and select "Nullsoft Disk Writer" (click on it and it will be selected). You can doubleclick on it to change its settings, like output directory.
3) Open file, in this case the MIDI file, in Winamp. Wait for it to finish "playing" the song (you won't hear anything but the progress bar will move, usually really fast)
4) When Winamp is done, change its output plugin back to what it was before (usually "DirectSound" or "WaveOut").
5) Go to output directory of the Disk Writer plugin and play your new WAV format MIDI file!
6) Celebrate. With cake.
Oops, I was thinking Audacity for some reason, sorry.
The cake is a lie (so I've heard).
It doesn't work. I change the plugin exaclty as you say, but I still hear it as it plays. I still played it to the end, changed the output back, and went to the directory, but nothing!

Any advice?
Do you have sound recording software? You could play the midi in WinAmp and record it using the sound recording software.

Although what GRS said should've worked...I've done it before.
No I do not... I keep trying but nothing...

I must be doing something wrong but I don;t know what.

I open Winamp, Ctrl+P, Plugins, Output, Nullsoft Disk Writer, open file, and play. Repeat is off. I still hear it when playing, and when done, there is no new file. Every time and I tried it like 10 times...
Hmm, I just tried it out myself. You're right, DiskWriter won't work with MIDI. I assumed it would since I got it to work with every other format I tried it on, my bad.

Alternative:
1) Download+Open Audacity
2) Near the upper right corner, by the Microphone+volumebar next to it, there's a pulldown menu that likely has "Microphone" selected. Select "Stereo Mix". (If you don't have it, go straight to Emergency Plan and curse your soundcard)
3) Tell Audacity to record
4) Play the MIDI file once, start to finish.
5) When done, stop Audacity. Use File->ExportAsWAV to save it. Crop the start+end any way you choose.

Emergency Plan: Put up the MIDI file here and I'll convert it to a digital format. (Oh boy time for Soundfont fun!)

I can't think of any other alternatives. Everything just hates MIDI or something.
Audacity is nice, but it won't read the MIDI file at all... so HERE is the file I want converted.

Thanks for trying to help out... and I now have great editing tools I can use for a few MP3 files I want. :) So it wasn't a total loss.

And GRS, thanks for offering to convert it. As long as Movie Maker can read it I am happy.
I should've been more clear: Something else like Winamp plays the MIDI file. Audacity just records your Stereo Mix (aka "What you hear").

I'll have something in a bit though.

*edit*
How's this?
Oh, I misunderstood you there. Sorry.

However, the file sounds great on its own, but it does something odd in movie maker... it sounds staticy. Try it and see what I mean.
Argh, I see what you mean. It breaks at certain points, plays fine, then goes back to hell again.

Convert it into a WAV (like through Audacity File->ExportWAV or the Winamp steps I posted below) and import it that way. Maybe WMM just doesn't like the MP3 codec or there's something different about the one I used.
I'll give it a try and say what happens. Thanks again!

EDIT: I exported it as a wav sound from audacity and IT WORKS! Thanks so much GRS!

By the way, what program did you use for the initial converion from MIDI to MP3?
Glad to help ;)

author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=987.msg13609#msg13609 date=1209510474
1) Download+Open Audacity
2) Near the upper right corner, by the Microphone+volumebar next to it, there's a pulldown menu that likely has "Microphone" selected. Select "Stereo Mix". (If you don't have it, go straight to Emergency Plan and curse your soundcard)
3) Tell Audacity to record
4) Play the MIDI file once in a seperate program, like Winamp, start to finish.
5) When done, stop Audacity. Use File->ExportAsWAV to save it. Crop the start+end any way you choose.

Pretty much that. I had a small issue (Winamp was playing the MIDI way too loud and it didn't want to change the volume), but that was pretty much it.. Then I converted it to MP3 to make it easier to upload.
Ok, and one last thing. I tried to export something else in audacity as an MP3, but I kept getting a question about making a .dll file, and getting errors when trying to create it. What's that about?
I think that you need the lame.dll. Just google it.
Pages: first 12 next last