KIM JONG-IL HAS DIED.

Pages: first 12 next last
North Korean leader Kim Jong-il has died at the age of 69, state-run television has announced.

Mr Kim, who has led the communist nation since the death of his father in 1994, died on a train while visiting an area outside the capital, the announcement said.

He suffered a stroke in 2008 and was absent from public view for months.

His designated successor is believed to be his third son, Kim Jong-un, who is thought to be in his late 20s.

The BBC's Lucy Williamson in Seoul says Mr Kim's death will cause huge shock waves across North Korea.

The announcement came in an emotional statement read out on national television.

The announcer, wearing black, said he had died of physical and mental over-work.

South Korea says its military has been put on alert following the announcement and its National Security Council is convening for an emergency meeting, Yonhap news agency reports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16239693

Big question: what happens now?
Nothing. Kim Jong-un takes over and does his best to keep the country the hellhole it is now.
I don't think it's that simple, dude. South Korea has already put its military on full ready.
<Touchfuzzy> Probably died of a Kim Jong Illness

in all seriousness, though, I have no idea what happens now. I don't know a damn thing about his successor. I am hoping that moderation and sensibility will prevail in the end.
This all over again. I'd doubt anything significant in the world theater perspective will happen internally. Il wasn't in the best of health and had a stroke in 2008 and his son is old enough to take the reigns and I'd bet the transition won't have any huge status quo shaking events.

The better question is what South Korea, China, and the US are going to do. I think the US and China will be fine with the status quo and South Korea won't do anything without significant backing.

So just this but now in HD.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Hopefully nothing significant will happen, and I hope South Korea won't try anything stupid. Still a man of big importance to a lot of people has died, he may not have been the nicest guy around but his country really admired him for some reason.
His country admired him because of the massive iron fisted godlike cult of personality he constructed out of himself.
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
New call of duty minigame, North Korean Zombies.
author=Feldschlacht IV
I don't think it's that simple, dude. South Korea has already put its military on full ready.
Does that mean they might attack? Korea will be one country again maybe...
I don't know much about the Korean North vs South situation, but I don't think renewed conflict is a reality right now. Usually in these types of situations where Great Leader has passed on, power vacuum creates tension among those in the ruling class.

That aside, North Korea is a shithole and an example of the worst parts of humanity. I won't shed a single tear for him. In fact, I hope Team America : World Police jokes adorn his tombstone.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I am genuinely impressed with the lack of Team America: World Police references and other jokes in this thread. Except for you Dyhalto and you Benos, good job everyone on having respect for the fact that a human being's life has ended, even if it's a human being none of us should particularly mourn.
author=supremewarrior

This is very unlikely. China is fine with the status quo and South Korea won't risk stirring that beast and neither would the US due to their economic ties. Then there's the enormous economic cost of reintegrating North Korea never mind the radically different ideologies of their peoples.

More on Korea's reunification: http://www.aljazeera.com/video/asia-pacific/2011/10/2011101073014352876.html
author=GreatRedSpirit
author=supremewarrior
This is very unlikely. China is fine with the status quo and South Korea won't risk stirring that beast and neither would the US due to their economic ties. Then there's the enormous economic cost of reintegrating North Korea never mind the radically different ideologies of their peoples.

More on Korea's reunification: http://www.aljazeera.com/video/asia-pacific/2011/10/2011101073014352876.html
Interesting, I thought that there would be more benefits than drawbacks.
author=Max McGee
Except for you Dyhalto and you Benos, good job everyone on having respect for the fact that a human being's life has ended, even if it's a human being none of us should particularly mourn.

Are you just joking?
He was one of the worst human beings who ever lived. He subjugated millions of his citizens and drove them into poverty and destitution. He used propoganda and indoctrination to feed his own ego and enshrine himself as someone Great. He terrified most of the Asian free world with constant threat of attack. Forced labor camps still exist to this day in North Korea.
And now, because "a human being's life has ended", we're supposed to sit around and give the bastard a moment's silence? In the time it took me to type this post, a North Korean probably starved or was beaten to death thanks to the brutal autocratic regime he helmed. Screw that. I'm not religious, but I hope he's gone to where the scum go.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
I wonder if anything funny will happen between both Koreas, such as they'd start bombing each other or something. That would be nice.

Sincerely, your favorite h0nking asshole who is amused by other countries' misfortune.
I don't want South Korea to be at war. They make such fine mangas.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=Dyhalto
author=Max McGee
Except for you Dyhalto and you Benos, good job everyone on having respect for the fact that a human being's life has ended, even if it's a human being none of us should particularly mourn.
Are you just joking?
He was one of the worst human beings who ever lived. He subjugated millions of his citizens and drove them into poverty and destitution. He used propoganda and indoctrination to feed his own ego and enshrine himself as someone Great. He terrified most of the Asian free world with constant threat of attack. Forced labor camps still exist to this day in North Korea.
And now, because "a human being's life has ended", we're supposed to sit around and give the bastard a moment's silence? In the time it took me to type this post, a North Korean probably starved or was beaten to death thanks to the brutal autocratic regime he helmed. Screw that. I'm not religious, but I hope he's gone to where the scum go.

Regardless, Legion is right.
There's such a thing as 'too soon'.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Not for the likes of Kim-Jong-Il, I don't think.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=Feldschlacht IV
South Korea has already put its military on full ready.
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't this been the case since, like, ever?

author=MaxMcGee
Idk. I'm guessing hundreds of thousands of people would probably be better off with him having not existed.
Pages: first 12 next last