THE NEXT MAKER?

Pages: first 123 next last
What type of things do you think the next rpg maker should have?

I would like to see optional battle systems. Instead of just having the one original they have now i would like to see maybe an ABS type system where it is easy to do and you don't have to worry about coding it yourself. Of course, this will probably never happen.

They should encode a Party Change system on the menu, its not an entirely difficult thing to make, but it would be nice not to have to wory about it. Pehaps a caterpillar system.

I doubt anything new will happen, rather, it will just build unpon the things it already has from VX.

More realistically, i'll like to see better RTP chipsets, It was too square in VX.
author=Little Wing Guy link=topic=990.msg13571#msg13571 date=1209475394
More realistically, i'll like to see better RTP chipsets, It was too square in VX.

I actually like this. It promotes designing actual maps rather than sloppily done mazes with overlays and numerous random bushes and animals running around everywhere. I don't really care for the charsets, however.

As for the party changer and caterpillar system, as long as a scripting system is being released with RM*, these will be among the first things out. There are several out already and they work perfectly.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Make your own ABS in VX or XP.
A random RPG maker that makes EVERYTHING for you, including COOL BATTLESYSTEMS AND PARTYALLNIGHT LONG SYSTEMS AND CLICHÉ RPG PLOTS

what's even better is that you can have credit for it all

Actually, I like working with limitations; if I can do whatever I want, there's simply too much I have to do and won't ever finish anything.
Full keyboard+mouse+gamepad support, really. 20 keys should be enough to do anything I'd want, but I'd still like the option though.

And I suppose better synthesized music support. MOD, IT, ect. are so much better than MIDI. Oh well, OGG is good enough for me.

Yeah, I've really got nothing. RMXP was pretty much everything I wanted in an RPG Maker.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
How about performance, Red? ;)
author=Mr.Nemo link=topic=990.msg13581#msg13581 date=1209492942
A random RPG maker that makes EVERYTHING for you, including COOL BATTLESYSTEMS AND PARTYALLNIGHT LONG SYSTEMS AND CLICHÉ RPG PLOTS

Sure, letting the program itself make a battleystem etc may be alright cause some people just get bored of coding all the time, but wouldn't you think that it would ruin the fun of designing your own storyline?
The only time I had any performance issues with RMXP (<40FPS) was when when I tried to make too many simultaneous scrolling windows (I think three lagged the system) which I fixed by recoding how the window was drawn. I haven't had any issues since, either with that I've made or from any other RMXP games I've played (the whole five of them)

I also have a A64 X2 4000, which should be more than enough for RMXP...

Point though. On that thought though, I probably haven't hit any performance issues since everything I've been whipping up have been rinkydink things or I just need to test it on a slower computer. I should probably put what I've got for Release Something 2 and see if there are any performance issues on slower computers.
WIP
I look at it this way. I get hundreds of frames per second in ika doing more complex processing, drawing, and sound.

And RMXP can barely keep up at 40 FPS.
You got me curious. I tried running RMXP at 120FPS and did a quick runthrough. My results... were pretty strange. At 120FPS, the engine slowed to 40 on the main menu, went up to 70 on the side menu (same screen as the main menu, just a different window is selected), 90 for the inventory (different set of windows), and 120 outside the menu, walking around.
(Some quick optimizations didn't help either, but I'm not sure how intensive it is to load graphics from the Cache every frame)

Then I set it to 60 and got constant values throughout. The hell?

I see what you mean by XP's poor performance though. Bletch. I'm sure I could optimize my code better, but its a freaking 2D game with a menu. For what it displays, its FPS is terrible.
That's part of the reason I like 2003 better, as in the fact that it runs at a smooth FPS rate, and that there's a side view battle system.
Honestly, I want a maker that makes you rely more on your own ideas and originality rather th..

I'm thinking too wishfully.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
It's called "RGSS."
There are a lot of things I would want in the next RPG Maker. A list below:

1. Different features of a game (such as day/night effects, movement patterns, field animations) premade, and able to be turned on/off with little amounts of code.
2. More key support and include mouse support (to also be turned on with coding).
3. Reliability and preformance upgrades.
4. Automated HUD.
5. Camera effects, allowing 3D terrain.
6. Convertion system. (Converts images to the smallest size possible without affecting the quality of the image, also changing the file type)
7. More map layers.
8. Caterpillar system.
9. Advanced menu system. (Point and click/drag objects, with category tabs)

That's basically what I would want in the next maker except low overall download size. This would probably be in 3D rpg programming systems, but still, they should be included within the RPG Maker series.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
author=demondestiny link=topic=990.msg13593#msg13593 date=1209503784
author=Mr.Nemo link=topic=990.msg13581#msg13581 date=1209492942

Sure, letting the program itself make a battleystem etc may be alright cause some people just get bored of coding all the time, but wouldn't you think that it would ruin the fun of designing your own storyline?
He was joking man haha. I wouldn't mind a sprite making program built in the program to access?
Well, I guess that, with RGSS, you can do basically whatever you want/need. If they had released XP instead of 2003, (or if I had seen XP before 2003) I'd be XP/RGSS king by now.

IF ONLY :(
I would like to see the game compile to more modular and portable formats so that you could move the program to other operating systems (perhaps XBLA, a handheld gaming system etc). There are a couple titles in our community made with such high standards that they are legitimate indie games and not just homebrew games, but homebrew game makers in general use formats that make it impossible to play on anything other than a PC.

I'd also like to see the community effing grow up and stock using RPG Maker 2003 for the love of god.
WIP
There's not really anything about, say, an RMVX game that makes it impossible to run on a PSP, XBLA, etc. The only reason you don't see them on there is that there is no engine that runs on the platform. If someone recreated the RM2k3 engine on the PSP, that's all you would really need to run it on there.
Pages: first 123 next last