DESPANRS PIXEL TUT'S :)

Pages: 1
so hey i am working on a massive multi-part pixel art tutorial. i've written a lot of little tutorials and stuff in the past (unfortunately most of them are long lost). the goal here is to cover a shitload of topics, from the most basic to some pretty advanced stuff later on—as well as lots of smaller instructional lessons along the way.

as of now i have the first few sections done. i wasn't originally going to post this but it's probably gonna be a LONG TIME before this thing is actually finished, so i'm going to release the sections in a blog format: they'll be updated whenever I create a new one. i'll update this topic whenever i make a new part, too.

because they're pretty long and have a lot of images i'm going to link to them, but i'll give a description.

• Introduction
    just the introduction to the series: it outlines my goals and philosophies

• Thinking in Color
    mostly this article covers some of the very basics: color terms worth knowing. it's sort of introductory into the next section

• Read Between the Pixels
    contrast! this section goes into detail explaining how to get the most out of the contrast between your colors

• Using and Choosing Colors
    this is a big one—it's all about color choice and creating a color palette. this is the tutorial that is most often requested. so hopefully a lot of people will find it useful.

i'm also using the same site for my writing tutorials and if i create any more rpgmaker resources i'll set up a section for them.

i will PROBABLY submit them to the site too (i'm sort of lazy though and don't want to convert them all to the bbcode format for submitting), but mainly i'm looking for feedback and suggestions in this thread. also REQUESTS. i have some very speficic ideas about where I want to go next, but i'm gonna leave you with an important question:

what do you want to see in a pixel tutorial?
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I just have one question, which is will this article be helpful in particular for traditional-type artists who have never tried their hand at pixel-type art?

Beyond that, looks like nice work.
yeah i imagine so. if they already have a solid grasp on traditional art then what i have so far isn't probably going to be MINDBLOWING, since it's a lot about color theory and stuff. but as i go further i'm going to be talking a lot in detail about pixel placement and detail stuff like that.
This was pretty informative. Some of this stuff I already figured out from experience, but the stuff about making a unified palette was very helpful.

Keep it up.
I definitely enjoyed these tutorials. Your use of color theory actually helped me a lot since I've been planning on making a game with my own graphics, but was never very happy with my pixel art. I hope to see more soon!
Did you want to submit this as an article to RMN, so that it doesn't get buried in the forums for all eternity?
i will PROBABLY submit them to the site too (i'm sort of lazy though and don't want to convert them all to the bbcode format for submitting), but mainly i'm looking for feedback and suggestions in this thread.
I suggest you submit it.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I approve of these tuts.
author=Despain
i will PROBABLY submit them to the site too (i'm sort of lazy though and don't want to convert them all to the bbcode format for submitting), but mainly i'm looking for feedback and suggestions in this thread.

I will do all the BBcode for you?
haha go ahead. i've had to format these same articles so many times (originally written in google docs, then i had to carry them to wordpress and then i went back and added the css to make it look pretty like the trainer tips boxes) it gets so tedious.

i mean i plan on getting around to submitting them eventually but idk i'm very lazy and still have a lot more to write for the series
Would you like me to post them here and then you can quote and grabby it?
or would rather have it as pm?
NOACCEPTANCE772
And the ability to summon the "Office Whores" to deal damage to the enemies.
It's really nice that somebody makes a topic to help people new to pixelization.
I'd like to see what you peeps will come up with.
sinn
the original sinn
Ah, this is lovely, thanks.

Been looking at pixel art and trying to connect them to my digital painting training...

That small link between.

This is so useful, thank you :)
Pages: 1