ANY LIBERTARIANS HERE?

Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=Despain
skimming this confirms what i said—animals died: As of November 2, 2010, 6,814 dead animals had been collected, including 6,104 birds, 609 sea turtles, 100 dolphins and other mammals, and 1 other reptile.

no humans, though.

also according to your article a bunch of businesses and tourism suffered too and that's pretty upsetting i suppose.

but that was one ACCIDENT and people love to go crazy talking about shit like that like it's the end of the world. accidents are irrelevent in political debate. there will always be accidents.
Putting the issue of you saying "big whoop" to the needless death of 6814 animals aside, even humans were affected: 11 died as a result of the explosion on the rig, and many more suffered illness due to poisoning while attempting to correct the mistake. And don't underestimate the impact such a disaster would have on the livelihoods of those working in the businesses/fisheries.

It was an accident, but it was an extremely costly, preventable accident. A very big deal indeed.
While I can certainly sympathize with anger over governments that seem to promote self-privilege, I take issue with the anarchist ideal; if you remove a centralized government, what is there to protect individual liberty? What legal recourse does a person have if a militant gang decides to set itself up as the new local government? What is there to stop monopolies that ruin the economy from forming? In such a country you can forget about global scientific or social achievements as well; professionals won't be able to work in a chaotic environment where 'everyone is equal'. Historically, all anarchies have transformed into either dictatorships or feudal systems.

No, if you want the peace of mind that comes with living in an advanced society, a central government is not only necessary, but highly desirable.
Human life (or rather life itself) doesn't have any exceedingly special worth and I simply fail to see the difference between paying for a hamburger I'm going to eat and paying for medical treatment.

i love this ;d

a human life's value is measured very easily. in fact, we have a fantastic system that allows us to put a numeral value to the life of nearly everybody: money. that's right, i said it: money exists as a way to give value to human beings. some people are worth more than others. and lots of people aren't worth much of anything at all.

people talking about anarchy and shit

i don't know of anybody who wants to remove government completely. there's a HUGE difference between the idiots who go around clamoring for anarchy and logic-driven libertarians who believe that government should take a significantly reduced role in the regulation of business and industry.

In such a country you can forget about global scientific or social achievements as well; professionals won't be able to work in a chaotic environment where 'everyone is equal'.

you're mixing up your social systems pal—communism is the (disgusting) system where 'everyone is equal'.

But if you don't believe it and think everyone is just blowing hot air

no dude i'm not like DENYING IT (the holocaust never happened) my biggest point is that it was an accident and people blow it out of proportion in political debates. animals died, some businesses suffered, etc—but that happens in natural disasters too all the time. a single incident like an oil spill has NO PLACE WHATSOEVER in a discussion about political systems, regardless of how big it was.
author=Despain
* self-righteous hateful rhetoric designed to bait people into arguments, even though the statements themselves suggest that the user: A) has either a lack of understanding of the subject matter or is intentionally feigning ignorance, B) will conveniently ignore and dismiss relevant information said by others, and C) prop up his own opinions by stating trite, exaggerated nonsense whilst saying others are exaggerating their own claims. *

author=KingArthur
* short-sighted uncaring bullshit that individuals believe in for only as long as it remains convenient, but abandon as soon as it affects them negatively *

A+ material guys.

This topic reminds me of this comic, actually:

Karsuman
*name-calling and image posting and generally not contributing to the discussion
Politics could really use to GTFO, especially in a forum on a game making site.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
So THAT'S what a libertarian is
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
See below ;)
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
This topic deserves a second chance; I'm unlocking it. Just calm down a bit, Despain :)
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
Karsu, I want to see someone do one of those graphs for Liberals. Edit: Here it is :)

http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/the24typesofauthoritarian1.gif

Edit: whatever, click the link then.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Happy to see this thread unlocked. Come on RMN, show us all that we CAN have nice things!

Karsu, I want to see someone do one of those graphs for Liberals.

I'm sure someone has, it's just probably a lot less clever. /jab
harmonic
author=Max McGee
Happy to see this thread unlocked. Come on RMN, show us all that we CAN have nice things!

Karsu, I want to see someone do one of those graphs for Liberals.

I'm sure someone has, it's just probably a lot less clever. /jab

It just so happens it's just as clever. As in, not very. They're both satire.

Hey Max. You said you're socially conservative and fiscally liberal. That blows my mind and I am genuinely curious as to why. FYI, I'm not holding it against you, I'm keeping an open mind on the matter. Please indulge us my oppositely-aligned friend.
I have to admit, I really enjoy Karsu's image.
I'm a fan of sexy librarians.

chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
This is more what libertarianism is in France, amongst other things :

author=Deckiller
This topic deserves a second chance; I'm unlocking it. Just calm down a bit, Despain :)

what are you even talking about? all of my posts have been entirely legitimate even if you don't agree with them.

okay forget this thread i guess. apparently you guys aren't open to discussion and would rather post image macros.

i'm gonna go watch my little pony.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
I'm afraid Deckiller does not have the time or the interest? and just chooses randomly a "justification"-post..
Since unlocking this has had nothing to do with the actual topic anymore (and frankly has been Moronic-worthy). The next person who posts irrelevant shit and/or an image gets a warn and the topic is closed again.
harmonic
author=Despain
author=Deckiller
what are you even talking about? all of my posts have been entirely legitimate even if you don't agree with them.

okay forget this thread i guess. apparently you guys aren't open to discussion and would rather post image macros.

i'm gonna go watch my little pony.

Such is the interwebs. It is not possible to speak with spirited passion in a politics thread, because those who have the power to determine that your passion is actually RAAAAAAGE will do so. You either agree with the majority, or you speak in artificially subdued language and tone.

Edit: case in point.
User was warned for this post