WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

I think the real issue is schools. We should just get rid of them. No schools, there would be no slipping test scores (because no tests), no school shootings, no bullying. Don't blame the middle man!
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
There have always been mass shootings since the invention of the gun, and there have been no shortage of school shootings, but the mass school shootings are an oddity that actually didn't happen before 1970 in the U. S. I have no figures for other countries. My information also only includes well known incidents. My research has been in no way comprehensive, but it has been telling and it suggests a very disturbing social dynamic in the U. S. that has nothing to do with with guns, guns merely being a tool of convenience, but I don't think their absence would prevent many mass school killings, and I do have reasons for believing that. One main reason is the mindset of a person that has set his heart on murder. He's going to kill or die trying. Putting the world in a rubber room is also no good solution to a problem like this. Now there is a trend of mass killings in this country right now, that tighter gun control could definitely prevent, but we're not addressing the problem, but the symptom.

Before 1970, I can only find one; in the 1790s, a group of Native Americans took over a school house, killed the schoolmaster, the teacher, and the children with only one child surviving. This was the first mass school shooting in America, and until 1970, was the only one. Now, between those years, there were many school shootings, but none of them were a person trying to kill as many people as they could. They were such instances as a parent shooting a teacher for beating a child, jilted lovers killing their love interests or committing suicide (in one case, a guy convinced his girlfriend that the gun was a toy and tricked her into shooting him.) The vast majority of these shootings were adults having a disagreement and fighting over it, with accidental discharge being the second most common reason for school shootings.

So what happened in 1970? Well, a group of students at Kent State University in Ohio were protesting the Cambodian campaign of the Vietnam War (and no, I will never call it a "conflict")as part of a nationwide protest. After unknown arsonists burned down the ROTC building on May 2, the governor banned protest in the state of Ohio and declared the students communist revolutionaries, promising to drive them out. On May 4th, a scheduled protest took place regardless of efforts to stop it. The National Guard showed up, and when the students wouldn't disperse, 29 guardsmen opened fire, firing 67 rounds, killing 4 students and wounding 9 others.

That was the second mass school shooting I could find in U. S. history. The next one was just two weeks later in Jackson, Mississippi. Police opened fire on students killing one and injuring 12. The next one was November 11th, 1971, when a student entered the Catholic church on the Spokane, Washington Gonzaga University campus with a rifle, killed the caretaker and injured four students. Then another on December 30th, 1974 in Olean, New York when the best shot on the rifle team at his highschool killed three and wounded 11 during a 2-and-1/2-hour standoff.

Here, we see a pattern forming, and we also see when this started and a possible trigger for these schools shootings. Now, this information is not up to date, but here it is: There have been over 200 mass shootings in the United States for the year of 2015. This is according to a crowdfunded anti-gun program called mass shooting tracker. According to their information, the current number for 2015 is 296 mass shootings for this year. Tighter gun control can definitely reduce this number, but again, that only addresses the symptom. There is a great deal of anger in this nation right now. There is a sense of powerlessness and helplessness and people are lashing out. So far, every action has been entirely reactionary. Nobody is addressing the problem, and seems they don't want to address the problem; an apathetic nation that has lost trust in authority and is caught in a massive social disconnect.

Here is what has occurred in Australia, since we keep hearing about it.
After the Port Arthur massacre, the Australian government initiated a gun turn-in program and a buyback program. During this time, gun homicide reduced by half, leading academics to call the buyback program a success. Unfortunately, the claim failed to take into account the fact that knife violence also fell by nearly the same percentage. Because of that, as it stands, it cannot be verified that the gun ban has affected violence in Australia in any way, and the decrease in violence probably the result of a psychological shift within the overall social dynamic of the Australian population; a reaction to violence in general, a reaction that the gun ban was a part of, not the cause of. As for mass killings in Australia: they haven't been affected in the slightest. The weapon of choice is now arson in lieu of guns, with a few notable knife mass killings. Still, there aren't many mass killings in Australia and it's helpful that mass killings weren't very common to begin with.

Banning guns:

While I don't support banning guns, I do support tighter gun control. A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. What people often skip over is the "well regulated" part. That militia thing extends to all able bodied people. The well regulated part means those able bodied people need to be competent and fall within the common understanding of sanity. I do believe that before a person may own a gun, he or she should be required to prove that s/he can be trusted with a gun. I don't think it's a lot to ask.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=alterego
lol, the last time we discussed guns the thread got locked. Same players, same arguments, same everything... Just a reminder. =P

Seriously, do we need another Hitler America vs. disconnected shit stain Aussies "debate" again?

Besides, the real problem here is drug cartel scumlords videotaping the decapitation of civilians with chainsaws in order to terrorize and get their way. Johhny Triggerfinger can take five.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
To: Whom it may concern
Subject: tosser

Is that you in your avatar? You look like a tosser.

No Squareenix, I don't want Dragon Quest Heroes. I don't care that there are "only 100 remaining", by which I assume you mean promotional coupons. Quit sending me junk mail because I had to register with you turds to play FF7 over Steam.
Corfaisus
author=karins_soulkeeper
author=Sated
Is there really no other way to do that? Man, it looks like a pain to maintain...

Man, you wanna talk layers. Let's talk layers.

110% event work

Besides, I'm sure most of that could've been put on the tileset or substituted so you aren't using as many tiles for the same affect.

Corfaisus
Put the wood plank graphics on the tileset. You probably don't even need the one pixel border on the upper and lower parts, no one's really going to notice. That takes up one spot on the tileset which I'm sure you could make room for (get rid of the terrible campfire graphic if you have to). Use the same tile you're using for the bottom of the bridge's guardrail for the top so that you only have one instance of it and only have the parts connecting the guardrail to the bridge on its own tile.

From the transition on the lower part of the map, I'm going to assure you that you can use multiple tilesets for essentially the same thing if you really need to. Even if it were all on the same map, there's a substitute tile function in Rm2k/3 that I've used a few times for mine cart railing. Just throw it in a place where the player won't see the millisecond skip as it changes the tiles around.

That's just what I can tell from now. I'll get back to you later.

Also there's a little hiccup when your character is walking through the middle stair tile. I'd suggest using a separate switch from the one you're using for the bridge height differential to change its passability from same level to under hero.
pianotm
My question is, "Why?" Can you pass under it with a boat? That's the only reason I can think to make a bridge like that. Other events won't be able to pass under it. Is there anything under it you can grab (which, of course, would require you to fiddle with the events that are already there)? Other than that, I suppose it'd be a nice presentation. I like using charsets as tiles, too. In this case, though, it seems like a very small payoff for an awful lot of work.
pianotm
It does look cool, though.
Corfaisus

This should be all you need from that charset for this particular bridge, just spaced out properly of course.

Then it's just a matter of setting up passability events and tileset reference changes.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Am i seeing things or when you climb the stairs of the bridge you move diagonally and upwards? How is that possible? D:
Corfaisus
author=Sated
It's an event. When you walk onto the stairs, the event moves the hero up/left twice or down/right twice accordingly. That's part of the problem. Corfy has no idea how wrong he is as a result.

I've clearly been doing this longer and more diligently than you have, you little piss ant. If you want, I could drop the entirety of my game folder on you and you can see for yourself how many times I've done this dance.

Take a look. A fully functioning bridge no matter what direction you approach it from. No trees in the way to limit how you can get to it, either. I trust you have the RTP?

Oh boo hoo, it doesn't look as good. But at least it works 100% of the time with only, like, half the headache.

Corfaisus
Did you even look at it, or are you just too proud to acknowledge where the viability of your chemistry degree drops off?