SAVE FILE CARRYOVERS FOR RM GAMES

Pages: 1
As some people here may know, I'm allowing save file carryovers from one of my games to its sequel (ala the Mass Effect series). This got me wondering how many other RM games have done this over the years, and in what ways they've been implemented. Are there multiple routes? Character stat carryovers? Simple inventory carryovers? Other ways I've yet to think of?

I know there are some episodic type RM games that have done this before, the one that comes to mind being The Way series(which is pretty excellent imo). I was hoping you guys could give me a list of games that you know of that have done it, and in what ways they've implemented the feature. I'm looking for new ideas for my third game and would love to try some of these out.

Thanks ahead of time!
Legion Saga did it, had a save file in Legion Saga 1 and it could be carried over into Legion Saga 2 and you could recruit more characters, only instance I've seen it done in an RM2K/3 game.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
The Way would probably be the most famous one & likely only series to have done this. Outside of the instance that Pyramid Head stated.
Ah, see I've never played 'The Way', so I had no idea it was used there.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
I did it in Vacant Sky. It's an enormous pain - not to implement, but to make sure you don't make any changes that break compatibility. It opens the gates to a lot of very strange and hard-to-track bugs.

Prepare for suffering.
The Laxius Power series also has save file carryover, and it's quite famous, though not as well regarded.
Vacant Sky was pretty impressive that way, what with the character deaths and everything. I totally get what you mean with the hard-to-track bugs as I had only a few differing paths but entirely differing missions and areas where they do exist. Beta testing is going to be hell lol.

I didn't even know Legion Saga did that! I guess it's time I gave it another whirl. I've also been meaning to check out Liberty's Let's Plays of them. And I had totally forgotten about Laxius Power, but it wasn't really done all that well imo.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
The big problem you're going to run into is that if you change the database at all, then the two save file systems are going to go out of sync. These bugs are extremely difficult to track down - for me, it cropped up in the form of characters not learning skills at the right level, or skills not having the right names, or characters not leveling up at the right rate.

EDIT: Also, switches and variable names will get out of sync, which further makes debugging a nightmare. :<
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
The best way to do it would be to have the previous game have a final save at a very specific map id and x/y coordinates with specific switches/variables set (and everything else turned off/removed/etc.). Then, in the new game, have that save file load in a special room with the same map id and flip on any new switches/variables/events/items/whatever. Then, it'd reset everything that needed to be reset before starting the game proper.

Basically: save files will remember the map id, so make a map with the same id that activates your new game's bonuses and tells the player that they imported correctly.
author=Craze
Basically: save files will remember the map id, so make a map with the same id that activates your new game's bonuses and tells the player that they imported correctly.

Yeah, I've pretty much done that, but without the message to say they've imported correctly. I made saves for all the different possible routes available in case players run into complications, but at this point I'm really hoping there won't be any lol. Positive thoughts :P
You'll probably want to have the database completely planned out ahead of time and don't make any changes to it between the games.
Haha, it was definitely planned out before the game but I made crazy changes to it. All new armour and weaponry, new graphics implemented, music, everything was overhauled. I don't want players who jump right into the sequel without playing the first to be at a major disadvantage in terms of equipment, and of course I wanted the new characters' abilities to be different than characters from the first game, so I had to do all new skills as well. Luckily, the old characters have new slots in the database, so I think I have avoided Sai's suggested problem. And I only have 3 switches controlling the major route changes (when turned on, you get the three alternate paths instead of the 3 common routes).

I think it's one thing if you're dealing with a game that is episodic in nature, but another thing entirely if you're dealing with all-out sequels. They should be approached in similar but different ways, with sequels having more of a standalone feel to each one.
Pages: 1