CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE MIKE BROWN/ERIC GARNER/ETC SITUATION?

I'm sure most of you have heard about the shooting of Michael Brown, or perhaps the death of Eric Garner?

These are two separate instances where both of these (black) men have died at the hands of police under questionable circumstances, and the grand jury has decided not to indict (bring to trial) the police officers involved. As a result, there have been massive protests all over the country, namely the Ferguson riots. A lot of us have probably heard all manner of comments by people we work with, friends, and on social media sites, and honestly one thing I've learned is that America still has a pretty big race problem.

I'm surprised this topic hasn't come up yet, and I'd like to discuss it here.
Me and my room mate had a discussion about this a little while ago, right about when the riots began breaking out in Ferguson again after they decided to not indict the guy.

Basically it's obviously reprehensible on a very basic level. I don't understand why being a police officer allows you to get away with unnecessary/unjustified killing. It seems to be a growing trend for police to use a lot of excessive force too, even up here in Canada. There was news recently about a cop fatally shooting someone in British Columbia for what witnesses said was basically no reason at all.

(I believe the story was that he was waving a 2x4 around, but apparently the cops showed up, asked him to to stop once or twice and just killed him.)

I haven't done an extreme amount of research into the topic (because it depresses me) so forgive me if I can't go more in depth. I just think that there's no legitimate reason that people shouldn't be held more accountable for their actions just because they happened to be a police officer.
In all honesty, I don't know what there is to discuss. I don't even mean that in like...idk, i'm not slamming on you for bringing it up. Despite the fact that it feels like i only pop out of the woodwork to holler about social ills, rmn isn't my first choice of places to do that when it doesn't directly intersect with video games.

I think other people have talked about this in way more articulate ways than me. Personally? It honest-to-goodness brings me to tears that it's taken so much death before some folks are willing to possibly, maybe, almost begin to consider the barest possibility that, just perhaps, institutionalized racism is still a thing.

hell, there's a lot of folks who still refuse to think about that. It's horrible, it's uncomfortable, a lotta people don't want to engage.

I really just go back to wonder, what is there to discuss? I'm glad more folks are paying attention to cases like these. There's no shortage of them. Wish there wasn't as much misinformation floating around.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
A lot of us have probably heard all manner of comments by people we work with, friends, and on social media sites, and honestly one thing I've learned is that America still has a pretty big race problem.

I think other people have talked about this in way more articulate ways than me. Personally? It honest-to-goodness brings me to tears that it's taken so much death before some folks are willing to possibly, maybe, almost begin to consider the barest possibility that, just perhaps, institutionalized racism is still a thing.

Institutionalized racism is definitely a factor, but equally a factor is the fact that pigs are despicable cowards with an "us versus them" mentality as well as more military hardware and "moral flexibility" than your average Call of Duty characters. In other words, America also still has a pretty big cop problem.

I don't have an unbiased opinion on this. As a quasi-anarchist subversive punk radical, I am seriously fucking racist against blue people. (It's kind of wrong to suggest that pigs belong to their own ethnic group. Really, they're not even the same species.)

"On the other hand" not that it's an issue I feel any real need to be even-handed or equivocate about, most eye witness accounts do seem to agree that Michael Brown at least did reach through the window of a police car to start punching and/or man-handling that cop (Darren Wilson). While it's kind of fucked up that this is true...doing shit like that's a really good way to get your ass killed in just about any part of this country, and I think that's common knowledge by now, so assuming all of those reports aren't bullshit...what the fuck was the dude thinking? Assaulting a cop is about as good for your health as jumping off a tall building.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
What would you like me to say? Should we talk about the rioters? Should we talk about the peaceful protesters? Should we talk about the police that got caught pretending to be protesters to incite a riot (Yes, this actually happened)?

And why Michael Brown? There was more than enough evidence to indict, but grand juries don't indict police. This is fully established and well known. Anyway, there was reasonable doubt. With Eric Garner, there was no reasonable doubt. His murder is there for the world to see in glorious Technicolor. What about the officer that murdered a sleeping 7-year-old girl? Why isn't anyone talking about him?

What about Ex-Marine Kenneth Chamberlain Sr., whose murder White Plains police justified by saying he had a knife, suppressing the Life Alert recording. Cops spent two hours outside his door calling him n***** and telling him he was going to die, describing all the ways they were going to kill him. On the recording, he begs, BEGS for his life. Ruling: police were justified. How about Kelly Thomas (TRIGGER WARNING: this is the video of his death), who begged for his life while the police beat him to death?

Or maybe we should talk about laws. Did you know that in the State of Missouri, if the murderer was a police officer, on duty, in uniform, who encountered the victim in the capacity of a police officer in any way, murder 1, 2 and voluntary manslaughter cannot be legally considered as charges; only involuntary manslaughter, and involuntary manslaughter can only be considered if the suspect didn't know that his actions would lead to death. If a police officer pulls you over for speeding, then decides to kill you just to find out what it's like to kill someone, he can't be charged.

But here's a good one. In Indiana, killing a police officer in self-defense is perfectly legal. Indiana passed that law earlier this year UNANIMOUSLY, feeling that police violence had become so endemic that the problem couldn't be solved except to put the power in the hands of the citizen. Now, guess what the effect was on violent crime. It went down by nearly 80 percent. You see, the way it is now, police are literally above the law. They can get drunk on duty and start shooting people at random and if you act to stop them, you're charged with a crime. Now, don't get this law wrong. It's not open season on cops. You can still get arrested in Indiana for killing a cop: it's just a revision to the Castle Act that lets you use deadly force against a police officer for JUSTIFIABLE REASONS. Power mad police officers are already complaining about this law "a lot of cops will be killed because of this law". Bullshit. It just takes the police out of their Nazi SS position of power.

In Nashville, Tennessee, the police chief refused to mobilize police for Ferguson protesters because he believed that the Constitution granted them a right to protest and that MOBILIZING POLICE FOR PEOPLE EXERCISING CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS IS IMPROPER! Guess how much rioting there's been in Nashville over the Ferguson protest. If you guessed "none", take a gold star. SOMEBODY SHAKE THAT POLICE CHIEF'S HAND! Can't find the specific article about this but here's another good one about Nashville police who do it right.

So, what should we talk about? Obviously, this is a complex subject, and there's much more to it than race, but if you think that police are trying to turn blacks against the community, I'd agree with you.

Edit:
author=Max McGee
I don't have an unbiased opinion on this. As a quasi-anarchist subversive punk radical, I am seriously fucking racist against blue people. (It's kind of wrong to suggest that pigs belong to their own ethnic group. Really, they're not even the same species.)

Fucking A. Non-blue power!
I thought that the lenient treatment of the police in cases such as this is because the departments and local governments are afraid of a slippery slope situation. For example, if one police officer gets indicted, then that becomes a part of the record of the law, ammunition which prosecutors can arm themselves with as they are hired to take police to trial.

It seems like the police actively try to avoid that in order to maintain power and leverage over the public, because of all of the... the... crap that they have to deal with on a daily basis.

It's bad for the police to have too much power, but, it seems like it would be equally bad if they have too little power.
Max McGee
Honestly, I think there was certainly enough evidence to indict Darren Wilson and see his day in court, but I don't actually think I would have convicted him of homicide...at least based on the eyewitness testimony I have been able access through admittedly fairly cursory research.

Fucking A. Non-blue power!

Yeah I am immediately feeling trepidation about the shit I posted two minutes ago. I guess we're about to find out if we've got any cops on RMN lol amirite.

author=Zachary_Braun
It's bad for the police to have too much power, but, it seems like it would be equally bad if they have too little power.

I'm sorry, but this is a fucking bullshit argument because cops in America are so clearly in the "WAY WAY TOO MUCH FUCKING POWER, NO MEANINGFUL OVERSIGHT AT ALL" camp that this is like saying "well, it's bad for women in Muslim countries to have so little power, but it seems like it would be equally bad if they had too much power", i.e. there is already an obvious imbalance at play here.
pianotm
The problem with a grand jury is that there's no judge, no obligation to even listen to them, and no oversight for the prosecutor, who has a vested interest in getting the charges against a police officer dropped. When they convene a grand jury for criminal cop cases it is always to pretend they are doing something while actually sweeping everything under the rug and getting the cop off.

GRAND JURY: 12 people who don't know jack shit about the law advising lawyers on the law. That's all it is. Literally. It's not a trial, there's no judge, there's only one lawyer, and when the grand jury rules, the prosecutor isn't even obligated to honor their decision.
Max McGee
The problem with a grand jury is that there's no judge, no obligation to even listen to them, and no oversight for the prosecutor, who has a vested interest in getting the charges against a police officer dropped.

Yeah I heard...somewheres...that the prosecutor had the power to indict Brown without a grand jury, but didn't (because he's a racist white dude and/or sockpuppet of the popo obviously).

I feel like him deciding on a grand jury in the first place is the fucking legal equivalent of the 'maybe' that is inevitably actually a no.

What about Ex-Marine Kenneth Chamberlain Sr., whose murder White Plains police justified by saying he had a knife, suppressing the Life Alert recording. Cops spent two hours outside his door calling him n***** and telling him he was going to die, describing all the ways they were going to kill him. On the recording, he begs, BEGS for his life. Ruling: police were justified.

Wait, what the FUCK? I literally basically LIVE in White Plains (like ten minutes away, I go there every other date night) and how the fuck have I never heard about this?
pianotm
author=Max McGee
What about Ex-Marine Kenneth Chamberlain Sr., whose murder White Plains police justified by saying he had a knife, suppressing the Life Alert recording. Cops spent two hours outside his door calling him n***** and telling him he was going to die, describing all the ways they were going to kill him. On the recording, he begs, BEGS for his life. Ruling: police were justified.

Wait, what the FUCK? I literally basically LIVE in White Plains (like ten minutes away, I go there every other date night) and how the fuck have I never heard about this?

It was 2012, White Plains, New York, in case you're wondering and in case you think I'm citing a different White Plains (there's several across the country). Kenneth was sleeping and accidentally hit his Life Alert button. He called Life Alert to let them know it was a false alarm. When the Life Alert cancelled the emergency call, police told the operator that they were already called and they were going whether anyone liked it or not. They demanded entry and started taunting him from behind the door. Mind you, the Life Alert operator recorded the whole incident. All police body cameras and recording devices except the one mounted on the lead officer's tazer were inoperable. Kenneth was begging police not to kill him. Police were saying things like they were going to piss on his dead body and that he was going to die tonight. After about two hours, they busted in the door and shot him dead, then played with the body for fifteen minutes. Grand jury found that police were justified in their actions: no charges.

author=Name
Yeah I heard...somewheres...that the prosecutor had the power to indict Brown without a grand jury, but didn't (because he's a racist white dude and/or sockpuppet of the popo obviously).

Bob McCullogh is a worthless piece of shit. When I was a kid, a construction worker tried to kill me and my mom and my dad shot him in the arm. After Dan Devereaux got the conviction, McCullogh walked right up to my dad, shook his hand, told him that the only reason they prosecuted him was because they knew they could convict him and it would look good on their records, and thanked him. Devareaux said, "Next time, shoot him in the head. You'll get off." Devareaux's a Circuit Judge in St. Louis now.
Max McGee
It was 2012, White Plains, New York, in case you're wondering and in case you think I'm citing a different White Plains (there's several across the country).

White Plains, NY is the one I live 15 minutes from.

EDIT:

So I just completely ruined my night by ACTUALLY WATCHING TO AND LISTENING TO all the video and audio from this incident for hours and hours. I'm not going to ruin anyone else's night by linking to it but it's very findable. Having done that, I need to make a correction, though.

Cops spent two hours outside his door calling him n***** and telling him he was going to die, describing all the ways they were going to kill him. On the recording, he begs, BEGS for his life.

This is completely untrue. It is actually Chamberlain who predicts--completely accurately, in spite of his mental health problems--that the cops are going to break down his door and kill him, and describes at some length and accurately the weapons they are going to use to do it. Most audible police dialogue on the recording is them trying to convince him, increasingly fruitlessly and with continuously mounting frustration, to open the door.

Bob McCullogh is a worthless piece of shit. When I was a kid, a construction worker tried to kill me and my mom and my dad shot him in the arm. After Dan Devereaux got the conviction, McCullogh walked right up to my dad, shook his hand, told him that the only reason they prosecuted him was because they knew they could convict him and it would look good on their records, and thanked him. Devareaux said, "Next time, shoot him in the head. You'll get off." Devareaux's a Circuit Judge in St. Louis now.

Holy. Fucking. Shit. That is like the craziest thing I have ever heard.
"How did Darren Wilson get "full swing punch" bruises on the right side of his face when he was sitting in the driver's seat and Mike Brown supposedly attacked him through the window."
The dog whistles got turned up to full blown air raid horns. It'd be sad if it wasn't so tragic and another symptom of how fucked up modern society is.

Also please don't forget about Tamir, a 12 year old black kid shot by police for the crime of having a toy gun without an orange plastic tip *, or Kalief Browder, a 17 year old kid locked up for three years without trial or conviction on a shaky accusation that he stole a backpack *.

* and being black

Or

And
I knew the cops are an issue on your side of the pond ... but holy hell, this is saddening.
This kind of "power" should never fall into anyone's hands. And it's also yet another reminder of discrimination. We are all one on this little planet, goddammit.

Makes me wanna cry.

Now the question is, how can you combat this?
That law allowing self-defense against them is very interesting - how could one go about helping stuff like that be passed?
Max McGee
author=GreatRedSpirit
The dog whistles got turned up to full blown air raid horns. It'd be sad if it wasn't so tragic and another symptom of how fucked up modern society is.

Also please don't forget about Tamir, a 12 year old black kid shot by police for the crime of having a toy gun without an orange plastic tip *, or Kalief Browder, a 17 year old kid locked up for three years without trial or conviction on a shaky accusation that he stole a backpack *.

* and being black

Or

And

The litany of horrors is too much to think of all of the victims as people rather than statistics--the mind buckles. Mine does, at least. Like...I'm not a very empathic person. I ordinarily don't give a shit about stuff that doesn't effect me directly. I'm not proud of it, but it is a fact.

But man...I stayed up until 9AM "last night" because of reading and learning about all this shit. My cognitive faculties broke down completely and I was unable to think or say anything but "world bad, people inherently bad, brain poisoned with human badness, must die, world must die".

I was only able to lull myself to sleep with probably excessive amounts of weed and Xenosaga.

Maybe the most fucked up part is that body cameras won't act as a deterrent at all. The half hour leading up to Kenneth Chamberlain Sr.'s murder in his own home was recorded by the "TASERCAM" on one of the cop's Tasers. Motherfucker still wasn't even charged.

I live in New York. I'm white. I'm not going into the city any fucking time soon. I am definitely on the side of the protesters and they are definitely keeping things peaceful according to the news, but I don't want to go anywhere near that shit. Being around a protest is a good way to get straight arrested, and as a dude with conspicuously long hair, as far as cops are concerned, my default whitey privileges are suspended. Look at the scoreboard and long-haired white dudes seem to be the one type it's okay for the police to fucking murder.

That law allowing self-defense against them is very interesting - how could one go about helping stuff like that be passed?

This is a total non-solution. You will never, ever "win" in a context of force and violence with the police. The only way you ever would win is if you are a bad person that probably deserves to be murdered by cops anyway, A LA THE MEXICAN DRUG CARTELS.
author=Max McGee
Being around a protest is a good way to get straight arrested, and as a dude with conspicuously long hair, as far as cops are concerned, my default whitey privileges are suspended. Look at the scoreboard and long-haired white dudes seem to be the one type it's okay for the police to fucking murder.

Point to this record of why you fear for your life because of long hair or political leanings or shut up about your "whitey privileges" being suspended.

I think you don't have to worry for your personal safety as much.

Encounters with cops are shit. Being arrested is shit. You, as someone who is white, do note have to worry about police brutality in the same ways folks who aren't white, especially black folks, have to.

Don't talk about yourself like a potential victim here. For all that is sacred and holy in this universe, I don't care if your abilities to empathize with folks have to be measured under a microscope. Try to understand the radical concept of maybe showing concern for a situation/someone without making it all about your own feelings.

Fucking hell, while I'm here I'm just saying my piece on reacting with "humanity sucks, burn it all down". Yeah, I've been struggling w/that because I spend an awful lot of time keeping tabs on awful shit. I get the feeling.

Reducing this to a blob of "all people" or "humanity" obscures some pretty important factors here. This isn't a "humanity" question, these are SPECIFIC GROUPS of people who are shooting, tasing, suffocating -- and all the rest -- black people. That is a matter of social power. White folks have had social power in America since its goddamned founding, I don't know, this shouldn't be some kind of mind-blowing statement by now. I'm even keeping that statement limited to the U.S. b/c I don't feel like debating the matter globally or in other countries or anything.

I'm putting it on the table: this kind of police brutality is the result of a centuries-long legacy where black people have been dehumanized and their lives are framed as a joke, or ones that don't matter.

Retreating into nihilism and "the world sucks" accomplishes nothing. It's depressing as shit to live your life under the impression that it's a shit world and people suck -- like honestly i'm not even gonna say i disagree with that assessment, but stopping there and wallowing in it is bad for you, bad for everyone else.

The world sucks, so how about acting in ways to make it suck less? An open question to everyone, everywhere.

So many people have sacrificed SO MUCH, at times including their lives, for the improvements in race relations, or whatever social situation, we have. I'm not gonna belittle that legacy by acting like it doesn't matter. It does, and I live a happier life when I work to maintain hope in improvement. That kind of optimism is hard to maintain, but hope + learning empathy are probably the most important things i'll ever learn about/work on improving in myself.

It's absolutely soul-crushing to become aware of all the lives snuffed out thru this kind of police brutality. But I've seen people come together to try and DO SOMETHING about it, even if that means getting arrested or beaten or killed, and that brings a tear to my eye for way more positive reasons.

And like, free "help your mental health" tips: approaching any problem or situation in aggregate, as one huge nasty blob of awfulness, is a pretty good way to feel overwhelmed. Practice problem solving. Break it down into manageable chunks.
Max McGee
N.B. I edited this post like ten times, refresh for the latest version:

You, as someone who is white, do note have to worry about police brutality in the same ways folks who aren't white, especially black folks, have to.

Quoted for being bullshit.

Dude, I don't want to spend my whole day looking at youtube videos of police brutality and excessive force just so I can find hundreds of hours of footage of police brutalizing white people to refute you, although I totally could if I was at all willing to wade into that toilet of human misery again.

In the mean time here is a video already linked in this very thread of a bunch of cops (one is a minority) beating Kelly Thomas to death for no reason. He was white. He had long hair. He was also a homeless schizophrenic but personally I'm like 80% sure they didn't even KNOW those last ones. They sure didn't care, in any case. Anyway his "white privilege" did not help him as he was screaming in agony and terror as the police murdered him.

Here is a video of a white woman whose face is destroyed by a cop because he fucking felt like it WHILE SHE WAS IN JAIL AND THE WHOLE THING WAS BEING RECORDED.

Not gonna share his personal details but my brother--who like me is a white person that comes from absolute poverty--has not had a fucking walk in the park in his experiences of "criming while white". As far as me it's a moot point. I've got an anxiety disorder, a health condition, and too much of a fucking police record for my liking anyway. I'm not going out "criming" any time soon. For the foreseeable future, I'm going to do all my "criming" in, thank you very much, in my cozy cop free apartment.

Police brutality is not something that happens only to black people. Saying so is frankly disgusting.

This isn't a "humanity" question, these are SPECIFIC GROUPS of people COPS who are shooting, tasing, suffocating -- and all the rest -- human beings.

Fixed. Literally the first thing I said in this thread was basically fuck the police. I am aware of the specific group of people in question. They are called pigs. Fuck them. I hold them in the highest level of contempt imaginable.

The difference between how the police-industrial-prison complex treats poor people and how they treat rich people is even bigger than the difference in how they treat people based on race. But an even bigger deal is the total lack of any accountability of these fucking SS gestapo animal scumbags in murdering American citizens regardless of race. There's a "white" and "black" issue but it's almost certainly ancillary to the larger "blue" and "human" issue.

It's absolutely soul-crushing to become aware of all the lives snuffed out thru this kind of police brutality. But I've seen people come together to try and DO SOMETHING about it, even if that means getting arrested or beaten or killed, and that brings a tear to my eye for way more positive reasons.

And like, free "help your mental health" tips: approaching any problem or situation in aggregate, as one huge nasty blob of awfulness, is a pretty good way to feel overwhelmed. Practice problem solving. Break it down into manageable chunks.

Yeah, unfortunately, this is where we run into an unpleasant disconnect between ideology and reality. Because there is literally nothing I can do that will have any effect on the greater societal problems, and pretty much anything I might attempt to that effect has a much higher chance of destroying my life than actually accomplishing any kind of societal change, even in aggregate as part of a larger movement. I respect activists--the ones I think are actually good guys, anyway--but largely I also pity them because their struggle really is futile.

Nonviolent resistance at least is going to change absolutely nothing. That leaves the fucking scary kind. And it's only a matter of time. But on the other hand...time is the only factor on the side of the good here. Since 1939 or so in America the needle of America's moral compass has been slowly, slowly, slowly moving in the right direction, inching towards public acceptance of racism that is actually going down over time. Is it still at a horrifying level? Sure. Watch the comments on any Youtube video and you will see the amazing prevalence of blatant, unapologetic racism in the American national dialogue. But perhaps the only solace in this is that over time, even if agonizingly slowly, the needle of America's moral compass is moving in the right direction. That's the most optimistic way I can look at it, anyway.
There's this little nugget of joy from six weeks ago. The police are completely out of control. My white male privilege affords me protection from a great deal of this violence, but I still don't want to live on this planet right now.

author=Max McGee
In the mean time here is a video already linked in this very thread of a bunch of cops (one is a minority) beating Kelly Thomas to death for no reason. He was white. He had long hair. He was also a homeless schizophrenic but personally I'm like 80% sure they didn't even KNOW those last ones. They sure didn't care, in any case. Anyway his "white privilege" did not help him as he was screaming in agony and terror as the police murdered him.

The police did know; Thomas was very well known to the Orange County Sheriff Dept, having dealt with them nearly 100 times over a ten year period. They were just sick of dealing with him and decided to fuck him up, because that's what these macho sadists would rather do than actually get a mentally-disabled man some help.

Anyway, c'mon, we both know a shaggy homeless white man, or a disabled or mentally ill white man, will not be afforded the same amount of privilege as an able-bodied and self-sufficient white man. There is institutionalized classism and ableism at play here, as well as racism.
Max, when people regularly refuse to even acknowledge your extrajudicial murder as something that merits an investigation, let alone a trial, then you can play the 'I'm just as oppressed as this group I haven't made an attempt to understand or empathize with because sometimes bad things happen to white people too' card.

when a group equivalent to the KKK (which, hey, go figure, no such group exists in the US against white people) shows up and starts parading around to celebrate that decision and encourage the further murder of young white people, then you can pretend your insipid 'colourblind' rhetoric has any kind of merit.

police brutality is not something that happens exclusively to black people -- we're all aware of this, and it's a horrid abuse of the system no matter the victim. when you pretend that the system isn't disproportionately violent against racial minorities to a massive degree, though, you aren't being 'objective' -- you're just using your own ignorance, your own lack of context and experience, to try and bury a problem that racist institutions are already trying their best to bury.

there are multiple axes of oppression. the existence of class-based oppression and ableist oppression does not somehow render racism an axis that doesn't also bear discussion.
Max McGee
The police did know; Thomas was very well known to the Orange County Sheriff Dept, having dealt with them nearly 100 times over a ten year period. They were just sick of dealing with him and decided to fuck him up, because that's what these macho sadists would rather do than actually get a mentally-disabled man some help.

Anyway, c'mon, we both know a shaggy homeless white man, or a disabled or mentally ill white man, will not be afforded the same amount of privilege as an able-bodied and self-sufficient white man. There is institutionalized classism and ableism at play here, as well as racism.

Fair point about them being "sick of him"...that is awful. To clarify, I am neither able bodied nor self sufficient. I have Crohn's disease (Crohn's disease survivor for 15 years so far) and a severe untreated anxiety disorder and I have an actual personal income of substantially less than $1,000 per annum (those who've seen me post around here know that I also have, effectively, a wealthy live-in patron, which allows me to live in relative comfort albeit certainly not any kinda splendor).

My white male privilege affords me protection from a great deal of this violence, but I still don't want to live on this planet right now.

The entire concept of "privilege" is completely fucking retarded. It is not that I am saying "privilege" does not exist, it is just that that word and all of its shitty baggage is literally the worst way possible to contextualize the issues of race, class, health, and so on in this country, and it is going to automatically make a huge percentage of your audience stop listening and probably rightfully so when you use it. The vast majority of people are going to resent being told they are living their lives in "easy mode" because the truth is almost EVERYONE has major challenges they've had to overcome, and even the few people who actually HAVEN'T almost certainly are totally convinced that they did.

With that said...I totally agree with this statement. Especially the bold part. And increasingly...shit if I have an emergency I don't even want to fucking call 911 on the off chance that cops/SWAT will show up to murder me/my dog/my girlfriend.