FF7 REMAKE. IT'S A THING.

iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
author=Solitayre
Personally I'd have loved to see what this game could have been if it and Xenogears hadn't been eating each other's budgets.

That theory was dismissed by Tetsuya Takahashi in an interview
The second CD sucks so much...
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Xenogears had too much cruft and was probably never going to be good. But both it and FFVIII had serious signs of being unfinished in their released state.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Could be they ran out of production time for Xenogears. From all I'm reading about the so-called budget problems, I bet they got to a crunch point and whacked the game together with what they had left. FF8 I would believe the same of, for how jam-packed it is early on.
author=Dudesoft
Could be they ran out of production time for Xenogears. From all I'm reading about the so-called budget problems, I bet they got to a crunch point and whacked the game together with what they had left. FF8 I would believe the same of, for how jam-packed it is early on.

http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=ff08

author=Solitayre
Xenogearshad too much cruft and was probably never going to be good. But both it and FFVIII had serious signs of being unfinished in their released state.

I think Xenogears had the potential to be fantastic, and a lot of lessons learned were applied in Xenoblade.

To this day I still haven't seen plots go in some places Xenogears dared to go, and in terms of its gameplay, it had a lot of cool shit that was just wasn't optimally applied. Xenogears could have been a great all around game, perhaps one of the best ever, but a lot of dubious design decisions from all angles set it back.

If you like the story, narrative, and setting however, it's still quite a ride to this day.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
I enjoy the part where they eat the human meat and Citan whistles casually.
Dudesoft
author=kentona
author=Dudesoft
http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=ff08

That was possibly the worst, shitty review I've ever read. And I've wrote reviews! So I know shitty.

author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
I enjoy the part where they eat the human meat and Citan whistles casually.
"Soylent Green is People!!!!"
-Det. Thorn
Yeah, I thought it was pretty shitty, too. FF8 wasn't the best FF game, but it was far from the worst. (I mean, it's a lot more enjoyable than FF13-2. And less 'let's not explain anything ever because whatever here have some gameplay')
Dudesoft
I think FF8 remains my favourite. I tried playing it again off psn, and yep... Remains so. Some of the writing certainly appeals to a younger reader, but what can you expect? That's the target demographic. People who think Squall is a jerk don't know what it's like to be an angsty teenager, I might add. I was pretty terrible. A true outsider pulled from school to school, living with my mom who couldn't stay put. Until I moved to my dad's and stuck in one place. Wearing black, a necklace, and very chilly disposition, I entered highschool. Took a few months to meet my first teenage friend. All the while, I thought people around me were idiots or whatever blah blah blah. A year with my new friends, I eventually came out of my shell and became a decent human being. At 18 I was shunted into the reserve artillery by my dad too. So by the time FF8 came out, I had already lived a life in those shoes. My highschool crush was even an annoying free-spirit type girl who taped pokemon over my animation demo reel GODDAMNIT.
Anywho, I like FF8. The infamous Draw system isn't even that much of a chore. It takes like 5-10 minutes to top up on spells, but it isn't even necessary. We're just honourbound to be completionists.
And Omega Weapon is simple as butter if you complete the Triple Triad minigame. Change Laguna's card into war drums and destroy Omega.
I still have a save where you're wandering around balamb garden at night, probably my favorite part of the game as far as the developing setting goes. There's something about the 2000 neo future esque vibe of the game that I like. But yeah it's perfect teen bait.
I don't even know why they put the Draw system in the game; with the exception of gaining summons, it's completely pointless once you get the Card Mod feature, which is pretty much immediately at the beginning of the game.

With that being said, the Card Mod feature completely breaks the game. Want Lionheart on the first disk? Card Mod! Want fully maxed out stats? Card Mod! Want items that make your entire party invincible? Card Mod! The fact that all of this is so easy to do and requires almost no risk hurts the game, I think.

As far as the characters, I think having almost all of the characters have almost the exact same background really, really hurt the game. Sure, they have different personalities, but people don't realize that in real life and in writing, background is such an important part of character that it can totally alter the scope of how it flows.
Dudesoft
But they didn't have the same backstory, really. It's true they're from the same orphanage, but that's it. They all got adopted or moved on. Developed beyond that starting point into characters we meet in the game. So they all have unique backstories that are not stuck in your face. Like an argument for nurture vs nature maybe?
Also, card mod feature is completely optional. You don't have to use it, it's just easier if you do. It's not a necessity in order to complete the game.
Saying things are optional is a pretty weak argument to defend a game's balance issues though. It's like saying FF2 is a perfectly balanced game as long as you play whatever self imposed limits that prevent you from abusing the stat system. If a player obtains something overpowered, in most cases they're going to abuse it.
You can get the super ultimate weapon by defeating optional boss that tears the game apart... or not. You can play the card game... or not. Either way the game is beatable without.

It's just a faster way of getting components that you can get most of other ways. If you're shit at the card game it's no real loss. After all, it's completely optional and not necessary to beating the game. You don't even need to play more than one or two the whole game.

Now if you were forced to play the game to progress and it gave you the same prizes... then it would be a huge balance issue. But you aren't.
author=Dudesoft
But they didn't have the same backstory, really. It's true they're from the same orphanage, but that's it. They all got adopted or moved on. Developed beyond that starting point into characters we meet in the game. So they all have unique backstories that are not stuck in your face. Like an argument for nurture vs nature maybe?

They totally did. The grand majority of the party's backstories are look this.

Orphanage---???---Garden---???---joining the party

That's it. They all have the same exact formative events that define them as individuals (even though their personalities are different, but that has just about as much depth as a puddle) and determine their choices. Compare that to say, almost any other Final Fantasy, or even better, a game like Dragon Age, where all of your companions have totally different backstories, countries of origin, current or former occupations, people they know, and personalities derived from all of that.

I understand they were trying to go for the 'schoolhouse rock' type cast in FFVIII, and yeah, when you're young the biggest similarity between you and other teenagers is that you're all students, but they could have given them expansion on their home lives after the orphanages before the Gardens, their aspirations while at the Gardens, something. I just think they could have handled it better.

author=Liberty
You can get the super ultimate weapon by defeating optional boss that tears the game apart... or not. You can play the card game... or not. Either way the game is beatable without.

It's just a faster way of getting components that you can get most of other ways. If you're shit at the card game it's no real loss. After all, it's completely optional and not necessary to beating the game. You don't even need to play more than one or two the whole game.

Optional is one thing, but the FFVIII Card Game is optional the same way a machine gun in a boxing match is optional. Sure you don't have to do it, but it's so easy and it's letting you, so why not????

There's a difference between 'optional' and 'please use this' optional.
Honestly, I never really played the card game much because I didn't like it. (I much preferred 9's take on it). I had no issue with the game difficulty. It's hard to say it was broken or made the game unbalanced when there's not much of a challenge anyway. Hell, the only challenge in the game is that one boss in the bottom of the Research area (defeated by the ever-awesome Selphie and The End spell) and going to Ulty's castle on level 100, then picking the wrong commands to get back (guess who was the idiot who did this. Me. The answer is me.)

Otherwise the game was, in a word, cake. It didn't need the card game to be broken - it already was. Saying the card game broke the game is like saying your already flat tyre got flatter after you ran over a pin. It was already flat, it just got flatter.

It was already broken, it just got more-so.