[POLL] WHAT IS THE BEST KIND OF VILLAIN/ANTAGONIST?

Poll

Which do you prefer? A bada$$ villain you love or a villain you just simply hate and want to completely destroy? - Results

Bada$$ Villain!
17%
Villain you trully hate.
15%
Neither.
25%
Something in between.
42%

pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=CashmereCat
author=kentona
a surprise nihilistic cosmic entity bent on destroying reality.
Very Lovecraftian. You must love the craft.
author=LightningLord2
Azatoth?

Chthulu.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=pianotm
author=LightningLord2
Azatoth?
Chthulu.

Gesundheit.

author=Sooz
I'm generally not a fan of the modern dark-n-gritty "realism" where everyone is a douche with few to no redeeming traits and heroism is always a lie.

Well yeah, but we have to clarify that a character is probably more interesting if they have some kind of internal conflict they have to face. This is usually stemming from some confusion inside their character, which sometimes comes from not knowing what one wants, what is the right course of action to do. They might not be the "gritty realistic hero" that has no redeeming traits, but they can surely be presented with some ethical/moral dilemmas and hard decisions to make. Kind of like how in Spider-Man he is given the chance to save a bus full of people or his girlfriend. We don't need to know how that turns out in the end because the decision existing in the first place was an interesting one to present.

Kind of like how, in The Dark Knight Joker tests to see if a boat full of convicts would kill a boat full of well-off men to save themselves, or vice versa, but neither of them do. This is the type of interesting antagonist that I think has a philosophy, and that it makes sense.

As you said, it's probably a more interesting decision than just "will you be a hero and save us or will you not?" but more "who will you save, and how will you save them? Would you save your girlfriend or save an important politician that may win us the war?" I mean, I guess I'm talking about giving the protagonist interesting decisions here, but I think what I'm saying is I like antagonist that set up interesting decisions somehow for the protagonist, either wittingly or unwittingly.
The best villain of man himself, is man himself.
For example, Rhea from the Way.

Or rather, I have a weakness for the old comrade fighting for a different cause ala Gundam. Wing did a great job with this with Tres, and UC with Char.
Char Anzalbe was a true idealist villain who was contradictory in his logic, and has a entire progressive arc over 100+ episodes, which concluded in the movie. He starts off as just the typical badass with a tragic past, but becomes quickly emotionally involved with the MC, after the MC killed his fiance. Later he grows to realize that in his perspective, that as long as people cling to earth, they will never be free. A truly fascinating villain.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I prefer people.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=kentona
Yes Necron was a perfect villain with no failings on a story level whatsoever. Every story should include Necron as the final boss.
pianotm
author=LockeZ
author=kentona
Yes Necron was a perfect villain with no failings on a story level whatsoever. Every story should include Necron as the final boss.

Or the Devil from Time Bandits. "What kind of supreme being puts nipples on men?"
Well, Necron could possibly have been executed better as a character, but I think he is the ultimate eidolon, summoned unwittingly by Kuja. The playable part of the game ends at the crystal that birthed the universe, so it sort of makes sense that the final boss would be the antithesis to life. Because of Kuja's extreme rage and hatred Necron thought the universe itself was a failed experiment and that living beings did not enjoy life because of suffering. And eidolons are generated by the crystal cores of the planets (so logically of the universe, too). So yeah.

I love FFIX too much to think that Necron is just some evil dude that turned up out of nowhere for no reason.

But anyway ^_^;
The problem with villains is how complicated they have to be... Thought making that amazing main character was difficult to do? Well now you have to do a believable bad guy who is both justified insane a genius merciful as well as merciless depending on the situation and blah blah blah it's challenging and even harder if your doing a game where both sides are equally right... Unless both sides fight the same villain then you just have to make a polar opposite to both sides ( sorta like love hate and apathy)
pianotm
Actually, when developing characters, I always start with the villain and then build the hero.
Someone you could root for if they didn't do that thing that made them worth fighting against, if you want them to be sympathetic.

Alternately, someone who is charismatic enough to be entertaining, but whom you just LOATHE AND DESPISE and want to see lose. This is why I make my villains bourgeois scum.
Meh, not every villain needs to be relatable. Sometimes I just want a good evil villain that puts the fear of God on the Hero.
I like villains that make me go "I !@#$ing hate you...But you made a point somewhere that unsettles me and makes me think that you really do believe you're the hero".

author=Liberty
Actually, another villain/antagonist type I like is the unpredictable one that just makes you question yourself and your assumptions. Like Cave_Dog, for example. ^.^

Yeah, these guys too. They're great.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
I think of all the villains I've read of and encountered, none have awed me quite like Jack Noir.

Basically the only reason i got into Homestuck was my bro showed me (S) Descend with this chess-piece badass killing everything, and I'm like, i wanna find out how he got there, and what he does next. Inspired a lot of Zardari's behaviors, the similar appearance was simply coincidence, I'd drawn his first concept long before I read homestuck, and Galaxions had always been shadowy beings with blue glowing eyes.

Back on the topic at hand, Handsome Jack is a great villain, because.
A. He's a wretched cunt
B. He's good at being a wretched cunt.
C. He's genuinely sadistic but in a way that's so funny I can't hate him.
D. He thinks him and his Corporation of Hyperion are the 'good guys'. Seeing him actually get distressed when <spoiler shit> happens is actually really compelling.

Maleficent is also a pretty bloody good villain, both in the original sleeping beauty I saw that was famously by Disney, but also in the movie where she's actually like a moral renegade and the king is the asshole.

I need to fucking see that movie.

Also Cruella De'ville is a good example of hysterical crazy woman villain who wants something really badly.

I think I prefer the cartoon adaptation of her. Dalmations on Vacation was probably the best she'd been expressed to me.

I could go on, Jafar is like the power seeker, who will go to whatever barbaric lengths to acquire what it is he wants, then you have just the 'troll' villains who aren't even really there to get rid of you, just to make each day go by a little slower, i can only think of one example right now, but Revolver Ocelet in Snake Eater (MGS3) entered combat, but really we all knew he just wanted to show us his fancy gunplay.

And fancy it was!

One last one, definitely one of my favourites, the ruthless corporate badass, loads of villains wear this label, Rufus Shinra sticks out as a prime example. Like you defeat that boss, cool, but now, just you wait, the CEO of the company is actually the boss, and a boss.

OH FUCK!

Like, garbage as he is in some regards, at least he can do well in a fight, in fact he's escaped death by a thread like four times.

Shinra Tower Exploding, then in Advent Children he basically jumps off the 14th floor of a skyscraper, and survives with the help of Tsang and Elena, this isn't to mention all the crazy shit he probably gets up to in the parts of Final Fantasy VII I haven't witnessed.
Well the poll results have spoken, it looks like most people here prefer something in between.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
GO TEAM WISHYWASHY! \O/
author=LockeZ
I like villains that are sympathetic. Ones with strong motivations and interesting personalities that could almost be good guys. I don't think this is the same thing as badass, though. I like some "badass" characters like Magus from Chrono Trigger and Harvey Dent from The Dark Knight, but I think all of the characters you listed are lame - they're just walking outfits that fight really well. Jowy from Suikoden 2 and Seifer from FF8 fit the archetype that I like, but are definitely not badasses; they're really quite pathetic, but I think they're fascinating characters. Arthas in Warcraft 3 is a fantastic villain, but in World of Warcraft everything that made him interesting is gone.

I like stories that are tragedies, and that definitely plays into the types of heroes and villains I want to see. It's not a coincidence that every character I listed either starts out as a hero and later switches sides to become a villain, or does the opposite. Every villain was a good person once - some of them still are. I want to see how they got where they are now. I want it to feel real.

I second this. I don't like antagonists (or protagonists) that are one-dimensional. I appreciate a story so much more when I can understand and related to the villain's purpose and motivations. If they are simply unquestionably evil, that's boring. Having said that, I do love those epic moments when a villain clearly establishes that "son of a bitch must pay" mentality from the protagonist or player (Kefka from FFVI comes to mind).
author=Harbinger
Meh, not every villain needs to be relatable. Sometimes I just want a good evil villain that puts the fear of God on the Hero.

Relatable doesn't mean a character you can see a little bit of yourself in.
Relatable means a character you can see a little bit of the world in. So... Even completely inhumane and abstract characters and scenarios can be relatable if you can make them -- or the situations they create -- resonate with the audience.

So in a certain way yeah, every villain needs to be relatable.
The best villain is nature itself. Or the protagonist his/herself Honestly, this is kind of a broad question and really depends on the story you're trying to tell. The villain of a survival type story could very well be nature itself, which isn't exactly the cackling evil type.
I like the lady from Casper. Period.