CUSTOM RM2K3 FONTS?

Pages: first 123 next last
I notice some rm2k3 games use unique message fonts, I never bothered to ask about it but now I'm curious. How do I implement a font in rm2k3? Can anyone point me to a font thats compatible with rm2k3? Thanks.
What I did was steal the RPG_RT.exe from Ocean's game and her font and used that.

I think you have to modify the .exe somehow to make it use a different font.
Cherry made a custom font patch I believe. It's in German, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out:

http://dl1.rpg-atelier.net/ressourcen2/programme/chgfont.exe

you'll have to keep trying it with different fonts until you find one that looks nice. Here are some that are confirmed to work:

Fixedsys
Roman Novel
Courier New
Courier
Comic Sans MS
Verdana
MS Serif
Roman Novel
Segoe UI
Computer
I believe RM2K/3 can use bitmap fonts that are 8-9 pixels. At least those are the only ones that look good. I'm not too certain on how accurate I am, though.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Comic Sans MS

fucking die
post=153684
Comic Sans MS
fucking die

Don't worry, you can use papyrus instead.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If you want to use a font that doesn't come with Windows by default, you have to include it in your game. This means creating an actual Setup Program for your game, instead of just zipping it, since a setup program can install a font along with the game. Setup programs are a nice feature anyway.

I use Inno Setup. I actually use it to install the normal RM2K font, though - the font that can also be installed by using that "font patch" you can find everywhere. Because fuck the RM2K3 fonts.

For a while I was just providing the font patch alongside my game, but less than half the people who downloaded the game bothered to download the font patch, and then they all complained that they were ten hours into the game and the font was really irritating and so they'd quit playing. So I just included the font in the setup program. God, people are stupid sometimes.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Setup programs are a nice feature anyway.
I apologize for derailing this topic, but I must state with conviction that installers for RM games (XP/VX self-extractors are potentially* an exception) are one of the most annoying things I've ever had the (dis)pleasure of coming across.

To put it bluntly:
1. I do not need/want RM games needlessly clogging my Add/Remove Programs window.
2. I do not need/want RM games clogging my Programs folder placing their shortcuts.
3. The average size and simplicity of an RM game does not merit the use of an installer nor an uninstaller, also clogging my registry with crap in the process.
4. Anything special that needs to be done prior to play (ie: installing fonts) can be described in readme.txt. Screw those that don't RTFM.

*If you happen to pack the self-extractor inside a .zip archive, rest assured I won't even bother to touch the thing. I need to extract a self-extractor from an archive to extract the game from the self-extracting archive? Am I the only one that finds the idea ridiculous?

------------

As for the actual query of using a custom font, it's all a simple matter of editting the name of the font RPG_RT.exe uses with a hex editor. I've generally found mono-spaced fonts to be compatible.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
What a stupid thing to say, setup programs make it so much easier to get rid of the game when you're done. Size has nothing to do with it, it just makes everything easier and faster for the user. Not to mention that most people don't know enough about computers to play a game that doesn't have one.

Also, you put "hex editor" and "simple matter" in the same sentence, so all your suggestions about what's easiest and most user-friendly are now null and void.
KingArthur
What a stupid thing to say, setup programs make it so much easier to get rid of the game when you're done. Size has nothing to do with it, it just makes everything easier and faster for the user. Not to mention that most people don't know enough about computers to play a game that doesn't have one.
The easiest (and fastest) way to uninstall a piece of software, especially and specifically one as portable and simple as an RM game, is to right-click the folder and hit Delete. Uninstallers make deleting pieces of software needlessly annoying when the software in question does not require it.

Also, you put "hex editor" and "simple matter" in the same sentence, so all your suggestions about what's easiest and best are now null and void.
Finding the string that says "MS Gothic" in RPG_RT.exe and replacing that with the name of your favorite font is pretty simple in my eyes.
LockeZ
You realize, uh, less than one in a thousand computer users even know what a hex editor is? And less than half know what folders and files are? It might even be less than a third by now, the last time I saw a poll was a couple years ago, I'm sure Windows Vista and Windows 7 have engrained themselves more thoroughly by now.

The point is, people shouldn't have to mess with operating system shit to play your game. Manually installing a font definitely counts as operating system shit. They should just be able to play it the same way they play any other game - by double-clicking on it.

The mom test is pretty good. If your mom can install and start playing the game without any problems, you're doing it right. If your mom actually knows how to use a computer, you might have to ask your grandma instead. Or a hobo.
KingArthur
You realize, uh, less than one in a thousand computer users even know what a hex editor is?
I wasn't talking to Joe Average when I answered the query of the topic, I was talking to Darken whom I know to be on the far smarter end of the spectrum. It should also be pointed out the RMN community seems to pride itself in being a gathering of developers; surely a hex editor isn't something foreign here.

And less than half know what folders and files are? It might even be less than a third by now, the last time I saw a poll was a couple years ago,
I am generally of the philosophy that, if the user does not know what folders or files are, he/she has no business using a computer and instead should be learning how to use it. There is a certain minimum to the level of ignorance that can be accomodated, and this isn't one of them.

The point is, people shouldn't have to mess with operating system shit to play your game. Manually installing a font definitely counts as operating system shit.
Since when was copy-pasting a file (the font) into a folder (usually "C:\Windows\Fonts" or the universal Windows alternative "Control Panel -> Fonts") counted as "operating system shit"? Especially if the steps are described in detail in a readme.txt file?

The point is, software doesn't need to accomodate even the most ignorant of ignorant users, especially when issues such as handling files and folders is something fundamental.

I also state that you managed to derail my already topic-derailing post. My original point was that an installer needlessly complicates and creates annoyances in the act of obtaining and playing (and if the case may be, deleting) the RM game in question. This view is reflected in that, at least when I was actively downloading RM games a few years back, most RM games were distributed in an archive form rather than in an installer form. I still come across archives more often than installers, so I am going to assume the trend is still here.
Pretty sure KA was referring to the developer using the hex editor to change the font and the player dragging the font file to the font folder. Also I agree that installers are unnecessary and make the game much more annoying to get rid of if it's bad. I actually stop dling the game if I realize it's a install.exe (though for some commercial game or something I can understand).

and, uh, my problem is solved?
LockeZ
I could argue all day, but this topic is now thoroughly derailed and also the original question is solved, so I'll go argue some other asinine point in a different topic instead.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
You could just include an installer and and a folder for the game (as seperate downloads) so people could pick what they liked...

Back on topic though - Are those fonts the same size as the default RM 2k3 fonts? Using a custom font would be awesome, but re-sizing and respacing every piece of dialogue in the game sounds like more trouble than its worth.
I downloaded that chgfont.exe program before and was unable to update my rm2k3 .exe file. When you open the program (im guessing) you browse to find your RPG_RT.exe file, but when I select it I just get an error.

Does this only work with certain versions of RM? I'm using version 1.08 and have been unable to use custom fonts.
What error are you getting? If you get an info dialog box that says "Offset gefunden: 555221" it's ok, just click 'Yes'.

I'm on 1.08 too.
Use Hyper Patcher 2, it cotains that feature too and works with more versions.
I downloaded that, and it looks like a great program! but...I get the same error.

RPG Maker 2000 (this is in the title of error message pop-up)
Run Time Package nicht gefunden. Bitte RTP installieren.

Seeing it just now reminded me that this is the reason I couldnt use the other program. I assume it's telling me that the RTP is not installed, but im not even working with RM2k. RM2k3 is installed properly.
Pages: first 123 next last