DOES A GAME'S DOWNLOAD SIZE MATTERS TO YOU?

Pages: first 123 next last
Would you still download a game even though its size is big?
Just wondering because I'm making a game but its size is huge, yesterday I managed to reduce the size down to 48 MB but it's still quite big.
Um, does anyone have any tips on graphics compression? Thanks!
100 mb or lower is probably the safest bet. Anything higher and people will wonder why a 2D game is taking forever to download assuming they have bad internet.
author=Spiderlily
Would you still download a game even though its size is big?
Just wondering because I'm making a game but its size is huge, yesterday I managed to reduce the size down to 48 MB but it's still quite big.
Um, does anyone have any tips on graphics compression? Thanks!

Depends. If it's really big like 400MB +, it has to be damn good like having great voiceovers, well-mapped graphics etc. Everything has to be in tip top shape.

EDIT: Pretty much is: the bigger the game, the higher the expectations of the game.

As for graphics optimization, .png is still the best bet to use for low size and yet still good quality. .jpg has the lowest size but the quality isn't as good.

Also, 48mb isn't really that big for me. Not for a broadband user anyway.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it.
Yeah, 100mb seems to be the magic threshold these days. Anything above that, and people start to wonder what the hell you put in there (for a 2D RPG, anyways)
I'll download any size, given the game's profile (story, images, etc.) has good presentation. But as Eplipswich said, it better be in tip-top shape.
Convienence and speed are more important to me. I hate the download sites where you wait for a minute for the link to come up or when it takes hours to download a game. Size by itself is mostly unimportant

Unless usage based billing comes back with a vengance, and even then I blow more bandwidth on LPs than games
author=benos
It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it.

Zing! But actually QFT. I'd agree, if there were a magic threshold, it would probably be 100 mb.
I have not yet encountered any game who's file-size was to big. I don't think I'd be so fond of hours long downloads though.
Low filesize makes me more likely to download a game (under 10mb, though only if it isn't an RPG-maker game because I just assume that any RPGmaker game under 10mb requires the RTP) and the magic 100mb makes me less likely to download a game. However neither is really a major factor. If I really want to play a game I'll download it no matter the size and if I really don't want to play a game I won't download it even if it's 5 bytes.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I can definitely remember download sizes being a problem ten years ago but they're not any more. Unless your game is so big that it doesn't fit on my 400 GB hard drive, I don't foresee any problem.

The only time in the last five years I can remember the fizesize of anything affecting my judgement of whether to download it was World of Warcraft. And even then it was only because their stupid P2P system was blocked by my network's stupid firewall or something. Took two and a half days to download. 20+ GB filesize.
God, I remember having to go to the uni to download RM games, put them on self-extracting floppy discs, then hope to god they hadn't corrupted on the way home. That and downloads being sooooo slow.

Now? Anything goes as long as it seems like it'll be an enjoyable play. I tend to burn games to discs when my computer gets clogged (even with 300GB and a 300GB external) so I really don't care about size as long as the game's good.

Though I agree that a 400MB game would want to be fsking awesome and a full version. Not gonna waste my time downloading a demo that size unless it's proven to be reliable (not bugs that require you to re-download 20 million times) and lengthy.
The download size definitely matters when I'm deciding whether or not to try it.
But if it looks interesting, I'll download up to about 80mb or so, it has to be very interesting for me to bother downloading more than 90mb of stuff.

I don't have a very fast connection, depending on the time of day and what site I'm downloading from a 70mb download can take up to an hour, sometimes more but usually around 30 minutes.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
I download 250~400MB files on a daily basis, if not ISOs weighing around 2~4GB every so often. Size is a trivial matter for me.

As for graphics optimization, .png is still the best bet to use for low size and yet still good quality.

There isn't any "good" or "bad" quality for PNG because it's a lossless format, as opposed to JPG where it's a lossy format.
Further reading.

That said, PNG is definitely the way to go for storing game-related images (like sprites and other pixel art) as eplipswich said; JPG mainly shows its worth with images like photographs where slight losses in detail aren't really noticable since the image itself is already pretty noisy.
YDS
member of the bull moose party
I am a bit worried myself because TLG may be up to 120 - 175 MB.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=YDS
I am a bit worried myself because TLG may be up to 120 - 175 MB.

Don't be worried. File size should not matter.

It's not hard to get well above 100 MB. If your entire soundtrack uses the RTP midi music, yeah, it will be easy to keep the file size low.

But really, I think people need to get past the 100 MB de-facto size limit. This is 2011.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
File size doesn't matter. Especially if you have custom music and graphics, it's to be expected that the file size is large. This is especially true in XP and VX when you can use alpha transparency and high quality audio.
Unlike penis joke here, size shouldn't matter nowadays. If the game is great, or even if it has a rep of being great, I don't mind a hundred MB or so; after all, most other games on my computer can go into the gigabytes, so what's a few more MB?
I agree with Feldschlacht IV. I imagine others have said the same thing, but I read his reply first.
If the game is presented well, I wouldn't mind if it takes a while to download. And I doubt that you get 1 GB of space with an RPG Maker game unless you're really code-inefficient.
Pages: first 123 next last