"OTHER" ENGINE CATEGORY

Pages: first prev 123 next last
Just so you know, this is ridiculous. It's 'Custom'. Deal wit' it B)
author=Deckiller
author=kentona
author=Link_2112
author=ankylo
Why not just add "Other" and leave Custom?
There can be only one!
OVERMODERATION IS KILLING THE NANNY STATE THAT IS RMN!
For the record, I've warned like three people since April.

Exactly, tyrant much? ;P
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
author=kentona
Just so you know, this is ridiculous. It's 'Custom'. Deal wit' it B)

Custom means written from scratch without using game making software or even level editors like Ogmo or Tiled (unless you write your own). No fancy label will change that. Deal with it & find dictionary with definition of word Custom.
He means it's custom to call it custom. You wouldn't want us to go against tradition, would you? ;P

Besides, as boss, I think he gets the last say. Possibly. Having something called custom isn't gonna break the site or anything.
author=Liberty
Having something called custom isn't gonna break the site or anything.

It might not break the site, but it will cause confusion due to the fact that we're using words to mean things that nobody else, anywhere, will understand right away.

Such a minor change, and we could have labels that are clear and can be immediately understood by everybody who comes to the site (which is, in fact, the point of having labels in the first place).

(I do wish for the orange diamond to stay, though)
No one is confused, except for the people in this thread it seems. In 5 years this is the first time anyone has brought it up.
author=kentona
No one is confused, except for the people in this thread it seems. In 5 years this is the first time anyone has brought it up.

So in other words, nobody is confused except for the people who are.

You also have to keep in mind that misused labels would have the greatest effect on people that are browsing through the site and haven't been around here in order to pick up on the idea that custom doesn't mean custom. These are people who aren't part of the community, so you're not likely to hear feedback from them.
I'll never understand why these things are always met with such a... strong disregard. No matter how tiny an issue may be, is not like there isn't a genuine concern or a rationale behind it. Enough to at least consider it; to weight it out against the alternatives and have a civil discussion about it. Nu-uh. No, sir! What is the reaction we get instead? "Deal wit' it"

Welcome to RMN! Enjoy your stay!
You guys are really good at making a big deal out of nothing, so yeah, I am a little jaded.

But if you want the extra clutter without any real discernible benefit, so be it. Have your Other.
I am now going back to working on meaningful updates for RMN.
author=alterego
I'll never understand why these things are always met with such a... strong disregard. No matter how tiny an issue may be, is not like there isn't a genuine concern or a rationale behind it. Enough to at least consider it; to weight it out against the alternatives and have a civil discussion about it. Nu-uh. No, sir! What is the reaction we get instead? "Deal wit' it"

Welcome to RMN! Enjoy your stay!
I do have those meaningful discussions when the item in question merits it. Look at the many other user feedback and request threads, or the RMN 4.3 thread (or any of the previous RMN version threads), or even the requests made for additional stats in the monthly stats I run. To say that I always meet requests with strong disregard is grossly misrepresenting reality.

Disregard was the appropriate response to this request, as we already had an engine category capably fulfilling the role that was requested. But that wasn't good enough, because if I don't capitulate and immediately acquiesce to the demand, I am bad administrator, no matter how trivial the request is or how much rationale it lacks.

What kind of Other category are you? Take the quiz!
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I really doubt having "Custom" is stopping ANYONE from finding and playing games. Also I doubt it confuses someone so much that it hurts them to see it.

Can we change Mailbox to Mailslot? Y'know because it isn't an actual box.
Yeah, and can we change "Notices" to "Notifications in regard to updates and modifications of subscribed user profiles in accordance with article 1, section 5 of the Constitution For The United States" including but not limited to..."?
Hey, look! Someone's triple posting. Isn't that a warnable offense or something? x)

I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't elaborate enough. I didn't mean to say that all request are met with strong disregard, just the ones that are somehow deemed unworthy. But my point is that there's no such thing as 'unworthy'. Disregard is NEVER the appropriate response for anything! If you have a reason why this doesn't deserve proper action, the least you owe the OP is an explanation why. You had days to do this, but until now you only found time for pesky one-liners.

I mean, c'mon! Do you think I care enough about a simple label? I don't. My first post in this thread was just a passing-by observation... But then I saw the reaction and that's the real "big deal" around here. Discussion being hampered by dismissive and mocking remarks. Geez! Not even by keeping your ground "Deal wit' it" or giving in "Have your Other" you're engaging in nor encouraging any dialogue, it's just you having the last and only word. So what good is it?

We're all a little jaded and a bunch of snarky bastards sometimes, but we cannot afford to be beyond reason...
My first reply identified that the request was already fulfilled by an existing element on RMN. The reply was first, prompt, and concise.

After it kept going on for days, then the snark and disregard came out.
author=kentona
My first reply identified that the request was already fulfilled by an existing element on RMN. The reply was first, prompt, and concise.

After it kept going on for days, then the snark and disregard came out.

The "days" of thread between your first two replies also happened to cover concerns that weren't addressed in your original post, such as the inaccuracy of the label on the existing element.
A concern dismissed by the fact that it hasn't been an actual problem in 5 years until now. That concern was without merit.

EDIT: The point seems to be that people might be confused by the fact that the label Custom isn't quite as generic and encompassing as Other, which is valid, but in practice that's not how it played out. No one was legitimately confused by the Custom label.

But like other things I've said 'no' to, the point was belaboured and issue wasn't dropped.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
Really, an "Other" category is just a direct duplicate of Custom. This site is primarily focused on RPG Maker, and Custom means that the project was NOT made in RPGMAKER, and in this case, Other is exactly the same thing. Give it a rest!
Adon will be running RMN one day. Mark my words.
Pages: first prev 123 next last