HORROR DEVELOPERS

Pages: first 123 next last
Hey there RPG Maker Horror Developers! I was thinking of gathering us developers together to create a game page or thread where we can check out each others games quite easily. Kind of a way to keep track of this particular category of games, demo releases and projects in development. As you know I'm a fan of horror genres and like you would be interested in your opinions about certain games in the community that have been created for this genre?

What do you think?
It would be kind of like discussion/exposure thread for all of us who like horror in the community...
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
There is already a designated "Horror" tag under the search options on the "Games" page.
Actually one of the reasons I was doing this was because I was thinking of making a promotion video that spreads the word on you-tube based on the horror games created using rpg maker with consent of course from fellow developers etc.
Sounds like a good idea. In my opinion a lot of these games are brilliant and definitely underrated.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=obsorber
Actually one of the reasons I was doing this was because I was thinking of making a promotion video that spreads the word on you-tube based on the horror games created using rpg maker with consent of course from fellow developers etc.

I'm down for this! Brilliant idea, really. I know after I found out about these kinds of sites years ago one of the first things I did was look up as many horror games as I could, and from that genre specifically zombie games.
Awesome, well I'll be planning on getting this done. So far on this list I got:
One Night
Project Viral
Infection
Eden Hall
Eclipse
Ao Oni
Midnight
Do these games count?
Yume Nikki
IB
The Witch's House
author=youngmreezy155
Sounds like a good idea. In my opinion a lot of these games are brilliant and definitely underrated.

this, except the opposite of what you said (what's the minimum number of LPs by youtube superstars for something to still be 'underrated', like five?)

people don't tend to do horror very well in rm. the only horror games I'd recommend (ib, the longing ribbon, yume nikki if it counts) are good in other ways, but still not particularly strong on the scare front. ao oni on the other hand is exactly the kind of lazy cargo-cult horror that a wannabe horror developer should take as an example of things not to do -- and no number of shrieking entrepreneurs will magically make it good
Well no because Ib and all that are already popular enough. Yumme Nikki, the most popular horror game but its more horror bizarre and its just as popular as Ao Oni so naa. The Witches House is got a widespread video but I might do that one anyway because its awesome.
if you're skipping overrated games, you might also want to skip One Night

e: I edited it into my other post, but I guess I should say it for real:

something you might want to give a shot is The Longing Ribbon by Gibmaker. it's pretty dated by this point, and makes irritating use of pop scares, but it does a few very interesting things with the gameplay that you might enjoy.
I'll add that to the list for sure, I'll think about what you said about One Night too. It's not as popular as Yumme Nikki or Ao Oni though.
Sounds like a great idea. One thing I've noticed is that there are many people saying that rpg maker games can't be scary no matter what, and that's not necessarily true. The way I see it, there are two types of game players, 2D horror and 3D horror. For example, I can play games like slenderman and Amnesia and hardly even care, but I got thoroughly freaked out while playing Ao ONI. On the other hand, some of my friends don't see anything scary about 2D horrors, yet jump out of their seat every time they think they hear something while playing slenderman. Just because you don't view a game as scary doesn't mean that others think the same.
Thanks and well said. I would agree too. Now I've got:
-Project Viral
-Infection
-Eden Hall
-Eclipse
-Midnight
-The Longing Ribbon
-The Witches House
-Misere
-Zombie Survival (New)

One Night and Ao Oni have been removed because they are already very popular but they will most likely have brief recordings or inserts. Any other suggestions?
I've heard Miserere compared to Yume Nikki, but I haven't played it very far and can't really vouch for whether it's strong enough on the horror aspect to be included here. all the same, you might want to give it a look and decide from there (unless you want to go into all of these blind, I guess.)
Well, it's not really a horror game, but many people have said it was scary...
The Here and Now of Yesterday. It's on-site and was a communal map creation project.
there's maybe one part of space funeral that you could call "horror" and it isn't really that scary

but I'm agreeing on the basis that everyone should play space funeral
Nobody mentioned Taut ?

I started the game recently and the atmosphere is incredible ¡¡

Although I hope there are some puzzles soon, because in half an hour did not show any.
You heard right mawk. I think I'm going to give Space Funeral a miss but I might take a look at the Here and Now of Yesterday.

Taut, I was actually going to put that on the list but I couldn't find an applicable download for it so I just didn't bother. I wished I kept it saved on my computer but files get deleted every once in a while and I aint got it backed up.

I've also decided to advertise all the RPG Maker Programs with the horror games too briefly as flashing images in the video.

Currently got some clips for:
Project Viral
Eden Hall
Midnight
Mesere
One Night

Will work on the rest probably sometime next week. I'm very busy today but after I will have more free time on my hands. Another one I decide to chuck in is Zombie Survival if anyone recalls that.
Pages: first 123 next last