IS SOMEONE ABLE TO TAKE SMBX AND UPDATE IT?

Pages: 1
I do understand it's a great program that can do many awesome mario related things. Though there are still things it can't do, like the frog suit for example or other power ups. A whistle, or even changing the (in my oppinion) god awful Super Mario Bros 3 physics. Now don't get me wrong, I love the program but is someone who's good with programing able to pick it up and continue it's progress.
No, because Andrew Spinks never released the source code. Someone would have to build a new engine from scratch
Ouch, that sucks. Now excuse my lack of programing know how. So someone can't obtain the source code any way other then him releasing it? That sucks, I don't understand why he wouldn't just work on it more or let someone else. From what I understand and read around (I could be wrong) there was no order for him to stop working on it.
There wasn't any order for him to stop working on it. He just used it as an excuse, because he wanted to focus on his new project Terraria, and he was legitimately concerned that after Terraria went live, his profile would be raised and maybe then Nintendo WOULD start something regarding SMBX.

And since he compiled the code into machine language, it is nigh impossible to reverse engineer that effectively/efficiently/accurately - and if you were going to bother to do that, it'd probably just make more sense to write your own engine anyway.

You can try to appeal to him for the source code, I guess. He might me more amenable to that now that SMBX is a few years behind him. An "anonymous leak" of the source code would be a boon.
author=kentona
There wasn't any order for him to stop working on it. He just used it as an excuse, because he wanted to focus on his new project Terraria, and he was legitimately concerned that after Terraria went live, his profile would be raised and maybe then Nintendo WOULD start something regarding SMBX.

And since he compiled the code into machine language, it is nigh impossible to reverse engineer that effectively/efficiently/accurately - and if you were going to bother to do that, it'd probably just make more sense to write your own engine anyway.

You can try to appeal to him for the source code, I guess. He might me more amenable to that now that SMBX is a few years behind him. An "anonymous leak" of the source code would be a boon.

I only brought this up becasue I have been toying with both ROM Hacking SMW and using SMBX. While rom hacking is harder, it offers more options.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I heard a few rumors around the SMBX forums that an update is in the works, but it's not from Andrew, and it's more than likely false.

Shame, there are many things I would want to see with an update to it.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Not entirely on-topic, but...what do you think is so awful about the game's physics?
Pages: 1