WHAT DOES RPGMAKER.NET THINK OF ANIME?

What's the appeal of Kill la Kill? I honestly don't get it and the protagonist's outfit-change is fucking ridiculous. SAO was so overhyped and cliche as well. What's worse than fanservice in anime is the "loli" characters in it. Those young characters whose designs are nothing out of the ordinary, with your typical emphasis on the huge eyes and boring/"cheerful" personalities. God are they annoying x__x I'll take fanservice any day over those lolis tyvm.
author=ivoryjones
What's the appeal of Kill la Kill? I honestly don't get it and the protagonist's outfit-change is fucking ridiculous. SAO was so overhyped and cliche as well. What's worse than fanservice in anime is the "loli" characters in it. Those young characters whose designs are nothing out of the ordinary, with your typical emphasis on the huge eyes and boring/"cheerful" personalities. God are they annoying x__x I'll take fanservice any day over those lolis tyvm.

What's appealing about Kill la Kill for me isn't the fanservice per se, but rather how huge twists in the story start to come close to midway through the show. After which, the story just becomes ultimately as epic as Gurren Lagann (remember that the director and writer of Kill la Kill are also the director and writer of Gurren Lagann). To be honest, I kind of put this on hold at first after watching 5 episodes of it, thinking it was just a silly fanservice anime. But when I resumed it and overlooked the fanservice, I was pretty much in for a surprise.

As for SAO, well, I only enjoyed the SAO arc (if only because I love the SAO concept). Everything else, including SAO II, just feels flat for me.
author=Liberty
Right, you are. Wrong word. I should have made sure I was all the way awake. XD

No big I got the two terms confused at first lol.

author=ivoryjones

Kill LA kill is just seen as good fun nothing to serrious while Sword art online is known as trash though the fanboys pretend its glorified by pretty much everyone.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
So what I'm hearing from Ivoryjones is that you prefer your anime to stick to only loli fanservice, so you only have one thing to be mad about instead of two.
Instead of SAO go watch Log Horizon. Same concept, more focus on the world and many different characters. There's the main character, yes, but there's a shit ton of other characters. Even small background characters who have their own stories going on in the background. NPCs and all.

I love it for the world building and the character interaction.
-rolls eyes- Anyways, read that Madouka-magic-girl-w/e and was disappointed. The thing is overhyped as fucked. The 'plot twist' wasn't even mindblowingly good as everyone made it out to be. Is the anime any different?

@lib
Watched a bit of Log Horizon and got bored halfway. Might watch it again for the sake of finishing it.

Anyone know any good gambling anime? (except for that gaiji one, I'll check that out later)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I don't know why you would read the Madoka manga. I don't even know why they made one. It's like reading a plot synopsis instead of watching the show. It's a cheap imitation, like playing the SNES Star Wars games and wondering why the movies are popular.

To list more tangible faults, the Madoka anime feels a lot more brutal and sadistic than the manga, just because it's animated. When the characters are going crazy on paper, it's easy to forget that they're elementary school girls. When they're voiced, it feels so much more jarring. Also Shaft's animation is beautiful and disgusting and unreal and utterly bizarre. I've never seen anything remotely like it. It makes the whole thing feel way, way more like a psychological horror story.

But now that you've ruined the story by reading the awful manga, you can never experience the literal best piece of fiction that ever has or will be created. I hope you're happy. Every time someone tells me they read articles about Madoka before watching it to see what it was about I get seriously extremely upset.
The only thing good about SAO was the first half of the first season. The second half was practically fanservice.

Random Question: What do you guys think of Death Note?

I personally enjoyed the series, up until the point where Light and Misa got caught. After that, it became a slog to watch. I got tired of it because it slowly became too predictable and repetitive...
author=LockeZ
I don't know why you would read the Madoka manga. I don't even know why they made one. It's like reading a plot synopsis instead of watching the show. It's a cheap imitation, like playing the SNES Star Wars games and wondering why the movies are popular.

To list more tangible faults, the Madoka anime feels a lot more brutal and sadistic than the manga, just because it's animated. When the characters are going crazy on paper, it's easy to forget that they're elementary school girls. When they're voiced, it feels so much more jarring. Also Shaft's animation is beautiful and disgusting and unreal and utterly bizarre. I've never seen anything remotely like it. It makes the whole thing feel way, way more like a psychological horror story.

But now that you've ruined the story by reading the awful manga, you can never experience the literal best piece of fiction that ever has or will be created. I hope you're happy. Every time someone tells me they read articles about Madoka before watching it to see what it was about I get seriously extremely upset.

I watched the anime and wasn't impressed. I didn't find it to be that brutal but then again I've seen Violence Jack Evil Town and Urotsukidoji. It had some cool animation ideas but while most people don't realize it there are other anime that also heavily experiment with surreal animation. It was kind of boring but at least I can say it was worth watching.

author=karins_soulkeeper
The only thing good about SAO was the first half of the first season. The second half was practically fanservice.

Random Question: What do you guys think of Death Note?

I personally enjoyed the series, up until the point where Light and Misa got caught. After that, it became a slog to watch. I got tired of it because it slowly became too predictable and repetitive...
I read the Death note manga and enjoyed it a lot but this was my first manga ever so I was a newbie at the time. Also I disagree I think the first half of SAO also sucked and was boring.
I think it was about timing, for Madoka. When it came out it wasn't over-hyped, it was a complete shock for a cutesy girl anime/manga to go in the direction it did. It was brutal and new.

It's not so new anymore so watching it after seeing other anime that are just as if not more brutal brings down the shock factor. Also, going into it expecting something big and bad to happen cheapens the surprise.

Can't be helped, I guess. It's like Shingeki no Kyojin - a large part of it's success was the brutality and timing of the anime/manga. It seemed to be an a-typical shounen, only to suddenly dash your illusions about it. Now, though, people going in will have heard about it from others and thus half the shock is gone, so it won't be as effective.

I didn't mind the anime of Death Note but I couldn't get into the manga until after watching the anime. Strangely enough, usually it's the opposite for me, where I'll get into the manga first and then leap to the anime. I don't know, I liked the anime well enough and it had it's share of surprises - and the acting and animation were great. I just don't think of it as one of the best I've seen - and I know a lot of people do. It doesn't appeal to me as something to watch over and again (something that more light-hearted shows like Ouran or Fruits Basket do) and I can't say it's one of my favourites, though it is decent.
author=Liberty
I think it was about timing, for Madoka. When it came out it wasn't over-hyped, it was a complete shock for a cutesy girl anime/manga to go in the direction it did. It was brutal and new.

It's not so new anymore so watching it after seeing other anime that are just as if not more brutal brings down the shock factor. Also, going into it expecting something big and bad to happen cheapens the surprise.

Can't be helped, I guess. It's like Shingeki no Kyojin - a large part of it's success was the brutality and timing of the anime/manga. It seemed to be an a-typical shounen, only to suddenly dash your illusions about it. Now, though, people going in will have heard about it from others and thus half the shock is gone, so it won't be as effective.

I didn't mind the anime of Death Note but I couldn't get into the manga until after watching the anime. Strangely enough, usually it's the opposite for me, where I'll get into the manga first and then leap to the anime. I don't know, I liked the anime well enough and it had it's share of surprises - and the acting and animation were great. I just don't think of it as one of the best I've seen - and I know a lot of people do. It doesn't appeal to me as something to watch over and again (something that more light-hearted shows like Ouran or Fruits Basket do) and I can't say it's one of my favourites, though it is decent.

It kinda reminds me of how people were surprised at how brutal when they cry was because it involved a bunch of looks lol. Also if Madoka is brutal then what is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXZ2bTigdGY
Because the manga usually comes BEFORE the anime and usually manga is supposed to be better than anime just like books to movies? Also some manga-turned-animes gets botched up so bad people'll rather read the manga?

The characters in Battle Royale were going crazy on "paper" but it didn't lessen the shock factor just because it wasn't animated.

@taco
Death Note was actually the first anime I've watched (if you don't count watching bits of cardcaptor/DBZ lol).

@lib
Same here. Couldn't finish the DN manga after watching it.
author=ivoryjones
Because the manga usually comes BEFORE the anime and usually manga is supposed to be better than anime just like books to movies? Also some manga-turned-animes gets botched up so bad people'll rather read the manga?

The characters in Battle Royale were going crazy on "paper" but it didn't lessen the shock factor just because it wasn't animated.

@taco
Death Note was actually the first anime I've watched (if you don't count watching bits of cardcaptor/DBZ lol).

@lib
Same here. Couldn't finish the DN manga after watching it.

Usually the manga comes first since manga is much more popular than anime in Japan but there are those weird moments when its the other way around. Madoka is one as well as Cowboy Bebop.
But the so-called "brutal" moments ARE the same in the manga right? If they are then it isn't even close to that, nor "sadistic". Elfen Lied comes to mind if you're thinking about brutal.
author=ivoryjones
But the so-called "brutal" moments ARE the same in the manga right? If they are then it isn't even close to that, nor "sadistic". Elfen Lied comes to mind if you're thinking about brutal.

I just posted a Genocyber video which was 10x more brutal than Elfin Lied. That said manga gets a lot more brutal than anime just check out Riki Oh which has a guy cut his own stomach open and pull out his intestines and attempt to strangle the mc to death with them lol.
I thought Madoka was pretty decent. The plot twist wasn't amazing or anything, but then most plot twists aren't, and it was neat in a genre deconstruction kind of way. Considering the genre, though, the show was pretty outstanding, and it did a fantastic job of making me care about the characters. I think the real charm of the anime, for me at least, was the art style shift whenever the protagonists fought witches.
LockeZ
Did you just master the archer job and learn X-Post? Holy crap your internet sucks.

In Madoka's case the anime is the original, and the manga is a cheap imitation that was made later. It's a direct adaptation of the anime so the events are going to be extremely similar, but it's lacking.

There is no gore, though. There doesn't need to be.

The brutality of Madoka Magica isn't in the morbid scenes. It's in the happy ones.
author=LockeZ
Did you just master the archer job and learn X-Post? Holy crap your internet sucks.

In Madoka's case the anime is the original, and the manga is a cheap imitation that was made later. It's a direct adaptation of the anime so the events are going to be extremely similar, but it's lacking.

There is no gore, though. There doesn't need to be.

The brutality of Madoka Magica isn't in the morbid scenes. It's in the happy ones.

If your referring to me my post wasn't posting and then it said the server was down. That seems to come up a lot for me.
When that happens don't repost. More often than not the post went through, you just have to wait a moment or two, then go back to the page and refresh. A lot of people think that pressing Back then reposting will work but it just makes multiple instances of the same post. So, yeah, patience.

(and yeah, I cleaned it up.)
ivoryjones, you did it all wrong when you read the Madoka manga before watching the Madoka anime since the anime is the original source material. At any rate, all I can say is that Gen Urobuchi is legendary in making this sort of anime. Since you loved Psycho Pass, you ought to like the Madoka Magica anime as well (both anime are by Gen Urobuchi).

Also, IMO, Log Horizon and SAO are different in that Log Horizon is much deeper in story. However, because of that, those who are not into lore and the like will find Log Horizon a little boring. There's more lore than action in Log Horizon (a number of people complain that Log Horizon lacks action in any case).