WHAT DOES RPGMAKER.NET THINK OF ANIME?

Pages: first prev 12345 last
I didn't like Log Horizon when the protagonist suddenly had a "harem" (that Akatsuki girl and that lil girl suddenly having a crush on the guy and this forgot-whats-her-name). But I'll definitely finish it since I've already invested so much time in it.

@epil
Are you serious? Ok I'll take a look at the anime then, but not in the near future. I'm not the type of person who'll lessen their experience of a movie/live adaption just because of "spoilers".

Just found out Sawano, who composed the track in Shingeki no Kyoujin and Ao no Exorcist did the music in Kill la Kill. I might give it a go again.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Is Log Horizon as lacking in action as .hack//sign? I don't know if any television show in my life has bored me as much as .hack did. It's the original "everyone is sucked into the game world" anime, but it makes me wonder why anyone would want to copy it.

I got about five episodes into .hack and as far as I can remember there hadn't been a single event yet, nor a single conversation, and the main character hadn't spoken two sentences yet. It seemed like the entirety of the show was simply establishing the setting. Sit in a boat and watch NPCs for ten minutes! Ain't nobody got time fo dat
There's world building and there is action but there are downtime scenes (though there's action going on in the background).
The story telling is great, and the scenes are full of life, even if it's just the main characters talking, background characters/NPCs interact.

Of course, it does have some issues - like ivory pointed out, there is a love triangle but... not really. Main guy is really only interested in one of the girls and the other two are interested in him for their own reasons (and the girl he likes does like him back - they're just both dorks about it :sigh:).

One is, from the start, not an option - she's far too young and has a crush on him. It's cute but she has no chance of him reciprocating her affection. The other is an antagonist and though I've still got to watch second season, I don't see it going anywhere. I could be wrong.

As for Akatsuki, she's too shy to push. What stops it from becoming a harem is that a lot of the girls that would usually be pushed towards liking main character like other people instead - the Princess is in love with someone else, another girl likes another guy and one of the girls has an infatuation with Akatsuki.

I wouldn't call it harem, though. Not enough girls throwing themselves at him for that. Also, only one of them has actually thrown herself at him. Akatsuki is very obviously in love with him but she's professional (and shy) while little girl very clearly has a crush that isn't reciprocated at all - he always treats her like a kid sister.

Don't expect action-packed scenes all over the place, but there is some and it is good when it's shown.
Yeah, anime, like Hollywood movies, is very formulaic, and also, very niche-y. That makes it almost pointless to watch more than one show in the same genre/topic because you know the vast majority of it it's going to be the same. And as such it's very difficult to spot animes that do new things... And it doesn't help the situation that whoever writes the descriptions for the shows probably makes them sound worse than they actually are. Because I swear to god, sometimes I don't even make it past the descriptions.

An all-time guilty-pleasure of mine is Dragon Ball Z. Something I hate about it is that it's all about Goku. Sure other characters get their time in the spotlight every now and then, but at the end of the day, Goku is the only one who can defeat the bad guy in turn. By the end of the series not even Vegeta is worth a damn. And my favorite character, Tenshinhan, the one with the most interesting techniques, doesn't even fight. And don't even get me started on the recent movies... Nice job, Akira Toriyama. Nice job. =|

Anyway, the last anime I was able to enjoy was Hanasaku Iroha. It was a bout a girl that goes to live with her Grand-mother who runs an INN, and who is also very strict. So the girl has to work very hard every day to be able to pull her weight and grow as a person. It was a nice down-to-earth, coming-of-age story that I could really relate to, unlike most of the stuff in the slice-of-life genre. It reminded me of an anime I used to watch as a kid: Candy Candy. =P If anyone knows more animes like this please let me know.

More recently, I had big hopes on Attack on Titan, but it turned out to be somewhat of a disappointment. At first I though it was going to be a series about human ingenuity in the face of hopeless adversity. But apparently, the 3D-maneuvering gear is the only display of creativity and technological prowess in the entire story. It's almost an OOPArt. Not to mention the stunts they pull-off with it are a bit too far-fetched for the "realistic" tone of the series... later the show becomes about mechas. Mechas made of flesh and bone but mechas nonetheless. And the protagonist with all that "fire" and conviction he showed on the first few episodes turned out to be just as useless as Shinji Ikari in Evangelion. And to make things worse, judging by the manga, the story is going to devolve into Political drama from now on. Don't take me wrong, political drama is better than most things, but not better than giant zombies, that I'm sure of. *sigh*
_
Btw. Talking about Japanese culture... How prominent are public baths, Hot Springs, and stuff like that in reality? Because I get it if a bath scene of a group of girls is just shoe-horned fan-service to appeal to your garden-variety kind of pervert. But what about, say, a father and son bath scene? Because I think I've seen those too. And unless those are crafted to appeal to a different kind of pervert *shudder* What's the point of animating scenes like that? Can't they have those interactions outside the baths????
An all-time guilty-pleasure of mine is Dragon Ball Z. Something I hate about it is that it's all about Goku. Sure other characters get their time in the spotlight every now and then, but at the end of the day, Goku is the only one who can defeat the bad guy in turn. By the end of the series not even Vegeta is worth a damn. And my favorite character, Tenshinhan, the one with the most interesting techniques, doesn't even fight. And don't even get me started on the recent movies... Nice job, Akira Toriyama. Nice job. =|

I'll have to disagree on the other characters. They are all quite instrumental in Goku being able to win. If Vegeta wasn't so tough, Goku wouldn't have been able to Spirit Bomb Buu. If Tien hadn't stalled Cell, well I forget that chain of events, but it was all important to getting Goku(or Gohan) to the finish line.

If you look at their fighting acomplishments, then yeah it's all about Goku. But as supporting characters, they each play a very important role to the Z team getting the win. Even Krillin haha

I haven't seen any of the new stuff yet.
Vegeta doesn't manage to stall Kid Buu because hes tough, at least not in the good sense of the word. He manages to stall him because Kid Buu has the attention span of, well, a kid; and he's is merely amused by tossing Vegeta around like a rag doll. This is the same Vegeta that was already no match for Fat Buu so that's no surprise. He's just a punching bag at this point...

And that's my main gripe with the series. Where Goku can always fight the bad guys at their same level, the other characters often can't. Sure they put on with a fight and throw a flashy energy beam or two, but at the end, their involvement can be summed up as "filler", specially later in the series. Up to half-way the Cell Saga I'd be inclined to agree that they all play an important role in the victory of the team, but not afterwards. After Cell becomes perfect even those mini Cells he shats could beat everyone with ease.

And the latest movie was essentially that. The bad guy just One-hit-KOs all the Z-fighters, while Goku is the only one who can take him on One-on-One, even without the "GOD" powers bestowed onto him by the rest of the Saiyans, because, pfft... "reasons". idk. whatever.

To be fair, it's the fans' fault. Akira Toriyama had planned to leave Goku dead the first time he died in Dragonball Z and follow Gohan's story, but the editors didn't like the direction (and they're there to sell manga) and the fan rating dropped quite a bit so he had to change the story focus back to Goku.

Watch (or read) Bakuman. It gives you a very good look in to the hows and whys of manga (and thus anime).

Unfortunately, unlike books, manga is judged by the fans and if it's rating slips and continues to slip, then it will get cut. There's some leeway given to older, longer-running manga but ultimately it's a numbers game and if the fans stop supporting the manga then changes have to be made to the script.

Dragonball was written for Shounen Jump, which means that it had to appeal to males of ages 8-18 approximately. There are girls and older readers but the main group that buys is that age and gender, so that's who they have to please with the manga. Some manga can get away with being different, but the more popular and mainstream manga have to adhere to certain formula in order to 'please' the little shitstains.

It's surprising that One Piece does as well as it does (consistently first place in rankings and sales) considering how much more complex it is to the other manga that run, but then, even it has to adhere to certain mainstream standards. Hence all the whiny babies who constantly demand fights and action over actual character interaction and growth (fuckers. Action's good, yes, but not when it's all that there is. Oda is amazing for being able to keep up on both aspects so well, though.)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=alterego
And it doesn't help the situation that whoever writes the descriptions for the shows probably makes them sound worse than they actually are. Because I swear to god, sometimes I don't even make it past the descriptions.

The description for Madoka Magica is what made me watch it, actually. Or, well, to be more precise, the description was that of a completely generic magical girl anime. And then the genre tags were Shounen, School Life, Magic, Fantasy, Horror, Psychological.

Something about that made me do a head-tilt. The show itself does the same thing - pretends to be a very typical magical girl anime for the first two and a half episodes, and then suddenly right when everything is at its most wonderful and magical and all the pieces are about to come together...
YOU'LL NEVER GUESSED THIS PLOT TWISTER

author=Liberty
Akira Toriyama had planned to leave Goku dead the first time he died in Dragonball Z and follow Gohan's story, but the editors didn't like the direction (and they're there to sell manga) and the fan rating dropped quite a bit so he had to change the story focus back to Goku.
author=alterego
Anyway, the last anime I was able to enjoy was Hanasaku Iroha. It was a bout a girl that goes to live with her Grand-mother who runs an INN, and who is also very strict. So the girl has to work very hard every day to be able to pull her weight and grow as a person. It was a nice down-to-earth, coming-of-age story that I could really relate to, unlike most of the stuff in the slice-of-life genre. It reminded me of an anime I used to watch as a kid: Candy Candy. =P If anyone knows more animes like this please let me know.

Then you probably will like Sakamichi no Apollon (Kids on the Slope) :)
LockeZ
Wait, so it's a non-harem anime with no supernatural or science fiction elements?

I didn't know those existed.
author=alterego
Vegeta doesn't manage to stall Kid Buu because hes tough, at least not in the good sense of the word. He manages to stall him because Kid Buu has the attention span of, well, a kid; and he's is merely amused by tossing Vegeta around like a rag doll. This is the same Vegeta that was already no match for Fat Buu so that's no surprise. He's just a punching bag at this point...

Right, that is true. But if Vegeta wasn't tough he wouldn't have been able to get up as many times as he did to stall Buu long enough. If it was anybody else they would be 1shotted and Buu would have done the same to Goku. Boom. End of the universe.

And that's my main gripe with the series. Where Goku can always fight the bad guys at their same level, the other characters often can't. Sure they put on with a fight and throw a flashy energy beam or two, but at the end, their involvement can be summed up as "filler", specially later in the series. Up to half-way the Cell Saga I'd be inclined to agree that they all play an important role in the victory of the team, but not afterwards. After Cell becomes perfect even those mini Cells he shats could beat everyone with ease.

The show ran a pretty long time and as it went on the bar kept raising. Goku is a Saiyan and most of his friends aren't. So naturally they wouldn't have the capacity to keep raising their energy levels like Goku does. It wouldn't make much sense if they did. So you have like, 2 options, maybe 3. 1, have everyone else appear weak because the strong guys are so strong. 2, have Krillin find out there's a human equivilant to SSJ. And I guess 3, introduce new character or have second place characters like Trunks and Vegeta become super strong like Goku. I wouldn't really buy that.

There's a reason Goku is the best and not Vegeta. The reasons he fights, his past, his friendships. I think that's supposed to be the theme. If you want DBZ to be a pure fighting match between a group of equal level fighters, then yeah you'll have something to complain about. But if you accept the story for what it is and the other characters for what they are, then...yeah.
LockeZ
Krillan didn't need to go Super Huma-Jin 4, he just needed to have his own skillsand style that were more effective against certain enemies. Instead, they al l fought the same, so every character but Piccolo was just Shitty Goku.

I like combat in series where they establish skills and powers and tools that the characters have, and then they use and combine them in clever ways that are nevertheless internally consistent and theoretically predictable. As opposed to xharacters pulling new powers out of their asses, or everyone losing except the person with the strongest friendship power.
author=alterego
Yeah, anime, like Hollywood movies, is very formulaic, and also, very niche-y. That makes it almost pointless to watch more than one show in the same genre/topic because you know the vast majority of it it's going to be the same. And as such it's very difficult to spot animes that do new things... And it doesn't help the situation that whoever writes the descriptions for the shows probably makes them sound worse than they actually are. Because I swear to god, sometimes I don't even make it past the descriptions.

More recently, I had big hopes on Attack on Titan, but it turned out to be somewhat of a disappointment. At first I though it was going to be a series about human ingenuity in the face of hopeless adversity. But apparently, the 3D-maneuvering gear is the only display of creativity and technological prowess in the entire story. It's almost an OOPArt. Not to mention the stunts they pull-off with it are a bit too far-fetched for the "realistic" tone of the series... later the show becomes about mechas. Mechas made of flesh and bone but mechas nonetheless. And the protagonist with all that "fire" and conviction he showed on the first few episodes turned out to be just as useless as Shinji Ikari in Evangelion. And to make things worse, judging by the manga, the story is going to devolve into Political drama from now on. Don't take me wrong, political drama is better than most things, but not better than giant zombies, that I'm sure of. *sigh*
_
Btw. Talking about Japanese culture... How prominent are public baths, Hot Springs, and stuff like that in reality? Because I get it if a bath scene of a group of girls is just shoe-horned fan-service to appeal to your garden-variety kind of pervert. But what about, say, a father and son bath scene? Because I think I've seen those too. And unless those are crafted to appeal to a different kind of pervert *shudder* What's the point of animating scenes like that? Can't they have those interactions outside the baths????

Bath moments aren't seen as taboo in Japan as they are here and when they involve family its seen as a bonding thing not fan service.

If you like Candy Candy I suggest Akage no Anne or well any other WMT series. Also there's Nobodies boy Remi. That said its very easy to spot anime that do new things for me but I guess new things depends on point of view. Ashita no Joe was a very groundbreaking anime at its time. I think Galaxy Express 999 stood out quite a bit from other anime at the time in terms of plot. Usually the issue is with newer anime where they are trying to pander to otakus rather than put full quality into their works. There are exceptions like Kaiba and Kuuchuu Buranko though.
author=LockeZ
Krillan didn't need to go Super Huma-Jin 4, he just needed to have his own skillsand style that were more effective against certain enemies. Instead, they al l fought the same, so every character but Piccolo was just Shitty Goku.

I like combat in series where they establish skills and powers and tools that the characters have, and then they use and combine them in clever ways that are nevertheless internally consistent and theoretically predictable. As opposed to xharacters pulling new powers out of their asses, or everyone losing except the person with the strongest friendship power.

Hunter X Hunter?
User was warned for this post
I do like anime.
My favorite titles are, Welcome to the NHK, Evangelion, Princess Tutu, and Tatami Galaxy.

I have read like 3 manga titles so XD Yotsubato.

here is my list in case you want to see it or follow me in anime-planet

author=ivoryjones
-rolls eyes- Anyways, read that Madouka-magic-girl-w/e and was disappointed. The thing is overhyped as fucked. The 'plot twist' wasn't even mindblowingly good as everyone made it out to be. Is the anime any different?

Anyone know any good gambling anime? (except for that gaiji one, I'll check that out later)

I think Madoka is just like you said XD, I'm am of the few people I know who though it was terrible, as for gambling, maybe you should check the new anime called *Death* Parade, is like saw with Kaiji, is not my style and is new so I am not sure if it is what you are looking for, but it is made by Mad House the same studio as Kaiji.

*Edit
author=MrChearlie
maybe you should check the new anime called Black Parade.

Isn't it called Death Parade instead?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/28223/Death_Parade

At any rate, the 1st episode of Death Parade is totally hyped at the moment. Really awesome :)
author=eplipswich
Isn't it called Death Parade instead?

oooooh, that explains my chemical romance when I search it again in google, hahaha thanks for fixing my mistake XD, it has been edited.
author=MrChearlie
I do like anime.
My favorite titles are, Welcome to the NHK, Evangelion, Princess Tutu, and Tatami Galaxy.

author=ivoryjones
-rolls eyes- Anyways, read that Madouka-magic-girl-w/e and was disappointed. The thing is overhyped as fucked. The 'plot twist' wasn't even mindblowingly good as everyone made it out to be. Is the anime any different?

Anyone know any good gambling anime? (except for that gaiji one, I'll check that out later)

I think Madoka is just like you said XD, I'm am of the few people I know who though it was terrible, as for gambling, maybe you should check the new anime called *Death* Parade, is like saw with Kaiji, is not my style and is new so I am not sure if it is what you are looking for, but it is made by Mad House the same studio as Kaiji.

*Edit

Again I didn't care for Madoka either.
author=Mr_TagoMago
author=MrChearlie
I do like anime.

author=ivoryjones

*Edit
Again I didn't care for Madoka either.

While I don't think Madoka is a crowning achievement in anime, I admire that for the most part every scene or dialog exchange has relevance to the overall picture and themes it's focusing on. Atleast the movie edit cuts of the anime do. There's little excess or filler. Then again, I'm a sucker of the type of plot devices Madoka uses so there's a little bias.
Pages: first prev 12345 last