50 STATS OF GREY

I'm 3484...
But well, same thing as liberty. And I wasn't very social back then. (not that I am nowdays...)
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm user-number 8200 here, and, like, 14K-something on RMW?

*Edit: Wow. I was waaaaaaay off. I'm user number 45593 on RMW! Goes to show you how often I go there, right?
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Why this title for the stats topic, kentona? Why?

I'm no match for Liberty, but at least I made it into the top 10 posters of the month list again. Also slowly climbing my way up into the makerscore top 100.
I should write a review or two again soon. I've neglected that in favour of gam mak. As soon as the jam game is finished, it's time to catch some light nhubi syndrome.
It's the Big Thing in theaters this month. Gotta glorify dem sexual predators! amirite?

(I have not read 50 Shades of Grey, but from what I gathered it is about a sexual predator that hides his criminal behaviour behind the veil of BDSM, even though what he does isn't actually BDSM it's assault. My biggest surprise in all of this is that there are THREE "Grey" books out there (I thought there was only the one mainstream Twilight fanfic - how naive I was). I guess there is an appetite for celebrating sexual assault in fiction?)
author=kentona
It's the Big Thing in theaters this month. Gotta glorify dem sexual predators! amirite?

(I have not read 50 Shades of Grey, but from what I gathered it is about a sexual predator that hides his criminal behaviour behind the veil of BDSM, even though what he does isn't actually BDSM it's assault. My biggest surprise in all of this is that there are THREE "Grey" books out there (I thought there was only the one mainstream Twilight fanfic - how naive I was). I guess there is an appetite for celebrating sexual assault in fiction?)

A little more information (not that you're wrong, though). The 'book' was originally written as a fanfiction of Twilight. What most people don't know is that Twilight was itself a fanfiction based on a song. I can't recall the name of the song but then again, I probably don't want to.

The book, 50 Shades of Grey, and the rest of the trilogy pretends to be about love and exploring one's baser desires, but many in the BDSM community have stated that the practices in the book are tantamount to rape, abuse and cruelty towards your partner. Some of the practices are actually against the law (leaving your partner tied up alone) or at least common sense, as they can easily lead to the death of said partner. The series has become something of a manual on 'what not to do'. In fact, most BDSM practitioners hate the series as it gives a bad name to the community and teaches very bad practices to those who would not know better.

That's not even going into the face that the leading lady exhibits symptoms of Stockholm syndrome, the male lead is a cruel, sadistic asshole who gets his jollies off on control, domination, fear and cruelty and the writing itself is rather bland and boring.

I hear the end of the series has her leaving him. I wouldn't know. I couldn't get past the first half of the first book. I left the class that was making us study it because everyone - teacher and all - were calling it an amazing piece of work and practically drooling over it. Yeah. (Lucky I never paid for that class.)
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
My problem with that book, and there are many, so I should say my major problem is it's never seen an editor. The writing is woeful, not just in content and style but in grammar. There are a plethora of errors that any high school English teacher could correct with their eyes closed, let alone a proof reader and editor whose job it is to find and emend faulty text.

Yes it also radically departs from the first and basic tenet of the BDSM community, SSC/RACK (Safe, Sane and Consensual or Risk Aware Consensual Kink) which is the cornerstone on which any relationship which treads that path must be based. Especially when you are dealing with a new devotee such as Anastasia. I believe some members of the community are actually using the books as a 'what not to do' guide for people taking their first steps into this area, and there has been an upswing in the community since the books came out.

In addition given it's a Twilight fan fic, the author has missed the point entirely. I'm not a twilight fan, like you Liberty I walked away from a book (which is very rare for me) but in my case it was the twilight series. I really can't get behind Vampires that sparkle, but since Anastasia is actually Bella (and Christian, Edward) it's a completely false comparison. Bella is not a victim or submissive in any sense, everything she wants she gets. Everything. She wants to be a vampire, against the wishes of Edward and she ends up being a vampire, she wants a child again against Edward's wishes and she gets a child. She gets these things, and all the others, by being sensible, logical and arguing her case. The problem being the things she wants are 'traditional' female roles, wife/mother/care-giver and people erroneously make the assumption that if you want those things rather than wanting to be a CEO or a mountain climber you must be repressed and therefore a submissive rather than grasping the fairly simple concept that gender equality is about the ability to choose your path irrespective of your gender and that the traditional role is as valid a choice as any other, and just as empowered, as long as you choose it, and she does.

(For the record I gave up on the Twilight books long before those events transpired, but I have a friend who adores them and will spends hours deconstructing and reconstructing them and whilst I'm not interested in the subject per se I like the sound of her voice, so I listen.)

I also find it telling that the author avoids any comments about the fact that it is fanfic and that once the books got popular the original stories were removed from just about every site on which they were posted.

So, yes I really have issue with those SoG books, for all the negative and downright destructive practices within them and for the erroneous assumptions about them.

Well that was pretty OT, though not OTT (off title topic).

author=nhubi
Tau, you're 464. You can see your number by going into your locker and looking at one of your stored files in a separate window or tab, it'll list your number after users/. You must have joined right after me, I'm 458.

Wow, never noticed that. I'm literally member #5... Don't know how to feel about that! ;__;
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
So, interesting note.

Of the top 10 most downloaded games, 6 of them are (arguably) horror games.

Only two are RPGs.
nhubi
author=Blindmind
Wow, never noticed that. I'm literally member #5... Don't know how to feel about that! ;__;

Experienced.
author=Solitayre
Of the top 10 most downloaded games, 6 of them are (arguably) horror games.

Only two are RPGs.

A changing of the times, I guess.
^ That really is a shame ( I'm not too fond of the genre myself ). Maybe the makers should be renamed 'HorrorMaker Ace'. :/
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
eh, people can make what they want. i have no interest in horror/calunio games, but there's nothing wrong with them existing and being popular. (the only top downloaded games i've played are pom gets wifi (A-), hero's realm (A), and legionwood (D-).)
we're just under severe influence and exposure from tumblr and that's all. it'll get sorted and more varied again in a while
MAYBE YOU GUYS SHOULD FINISH THOSE AWESOME RPGS YOU'VE STARTED FOR ONCE
nhubi
author=kentona
MAYBE YOU GUYS SHOULD FINISH THOSE AWESOME RPGS YOU'VE STARTED FOR ONCE

I believe they are being led by example, Master Kenton.
I've finished more games that most people have even dreamed of starting!
nhubi
I just looked at your profile, bloody hell, you have 4 pages of games!

..oh wait, a lot of those are community games

author=kentona
I've finished more games that most people have even dreamed of starting!

I dunno, kentona~ Craze and I have started an awful lot of games between us. I mean, I have three pages of games on the site and they're just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the games I've begun.

...I've over 30 Ace game folders, for example. That isn't counting any other makers. That's crazy. Not quite Craze-y, but getting there.
you guys make me feel less guilty about my obnoxious amount of gamepages to projects I have a 20% chance to ever returning

also I hardly ever post a gamepage because of that
I feel guilty posting something knowing I have a tendency to lose interest. lol