EASTER EGGS!

Pages: 1
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
We all know and love them, and more than likely all games we make have some sort of easter egg, a little surprise to make the player feel special about the knowledge of it or confused if they don't.

What's the difference between easter eggs and references? Are the two mutually connected or are they entirely separate? Or both, depending on the situation?
I'll keep this short and sweet and ask...

What are some easter eggs in your game? And what are some of your favorite easter eggs in commercial or indie games?

A personally favorite of mine has always been finding Max in LucasArts Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight!

This was always fun for me ever since I was young and watched my older brothers play and talk about it on online forums. Simply nostalgic!
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The only Easter Egg I can think of right now was the screenshots for Might and Magic VI - The Mandate of Heaven that you can find in the main menu of Heroes of Might and Magic II - The Succession Wars.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
That's awesome, Marrend! I love those games, me and my brother still hotseat them to this day!
I'll have to look for that one, seems familiar. Maybe my brother found it.
Link’s Awakening had some pretty awesome Easter Eggs! The Yoshi Doll, Mr. Wright from Sim City was in there, Wart being in the game, Goomba’s, Piranha Pants and Thwomp’s in the underground sections of the dungeons… Hell, even Kirby himself was an enemy inside the Eagle Tower.

Although my favorite Easter Egg of the bunch has to be from this scene:

There was apparently a hidden room in Zelda you could reach by various ways.

http://zeldawiki.org/Chris_Houlihan_Room

author=Addit
Link’s Awakening had some pretty awesome Easter Eggs! The Yoshi Doll, Mr. Wright from Sim City was in there, Wart being in the game, Goomba’s, Piranha Pants and Thwomp’s in the underground sections of the dungeons… Hell, even Kirby himself was an enemy inside the Eagle Tower.

I wouldn't call those easter eggs because they aren't hidden. More like references.

There's a book that is all about easter eggs in video games, Ready Player One

After reading that I intend to put many easter eggs in future games.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
I like putting in Easter Eggs, but I don't ever expect anyone to find them... I put one in Love Has Eight Legs that you can find if you explore the menus a bit, and there's one in It'll Look Great On Your Résumé that involves you typing in a password on the title screen, if I remember right.

I don't think anyone's ever found them, though! At least, they've never mentioned it. All they really involve is popping up a little dorky message that I wrote :P

you just have to type "agentv" on the title screen
Hmmmmm...In my own games

Illusions of loyalty: Using an "Expert Manual" (grants a free level up, think Rare Candy) on Baroque when she's at the maximum level (30) will have her say "No. Just flat NO. I have had it up to HERE with advice like "attack the weakpoint for massive damage"! I'll read more of these when you start PAYING me, Logan!"

No, there is no giant enemy crab in the game. XD

Mayhem Maiden: One of the weapons you'll be able to find is literally one of the weapons from Illusions of Loyalty. Made possible because the Rifts in the tower touch all kinds of other worlds, so I figured why not throw in a little "Hey...Wait a minute...I think I remember this weapon...".

Also, the description for the Cure-All item says "It tastes like Olives. No wait, Fried Pickles!", which is a line From Borderlands 2. :P
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I've never made any egg so far. I was trying, but ended up with eyes hurting captain obvious references.
However, they may be some indirect eggs in Mace Blue (if I force myself to make maps for side quests).
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
I'm a musical guy. So I love musical Easter Eggs.

The best easter eggs are the ones you don't find until YEARS LATER, especially if you thought you knew everything about the game. I thought I knew everything there was to know about A Link to the Past for instance. Until someone showed me that you could sprinkle magic powder on a specific Cuccoo in the village and it would turn into a lady! I didn't know about it until 2013 or so, 19 years later.

I've made a couple secrets and easter eggs in the stuff I've done, and they're usually really hard to find. I remember in one level, I made an elevator room, but there was a glitch I couldn't do anything about that could cause you to get shunted outside the elevator where you would fall to your death. I decided to make that an exploit, and made it so if you fall down the hole that way, you'd instead be taken to a super secret easter egg room. Not just an easter egg, but a bugfix on top of it!
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Not an easter egg,but I love the geddan glitch from golden eye.

My games don't really have easter eggs.YET.
I loved the one in Psychonauts near the end of the game.
Pages: 1