[RM2K3] WHAT DO YOU LIKE BEST ABOUT 2K3?

Pages: first 1234 next last
So I'm writing something about RPG Maker's past and RM2k3 is the one I know the least about. I used RM2k and was working on the same game for so long that by the time it was done, RMXP was out and I moved on to that. But obviously 2k3 inspires a lot of loyalty and I'm curious to hear more about that.

What is it about RM2k3 that keeps people using it for so long? Any specific features? Or just the total package? Appreciate any comments!
There's already a bajillion rips already set up and organized for rm2k(3)! (and I never thought of converting it because back in the XP says it was time to use higher res shit or something equally dumb)
Not just that there are a ton of rips to use at your disposal that have been amassed over the years, but there are also a ton of great tutorials to learn from, patches and plugin’s that are easy to implement without the extensive knowledge of learning any Ruby, Java or C++, and a plenty amount of great games to lead by example and to learn from if you’re a beginner, but for a lot of people like myself, Rm2k3 is just so comfortable, nostalgic, and – if you’re good enough and patient enough at it - can make so much more than just your plain’ ol’, typical RPG Maker games, like puzzle games and overhead action games. I mean, yeah, VX Ace is capable of doing that sort of thing too if you took the time to learn, just like in 2k3, but you don’t see a lot of those types of games around here compared to 2k3, and it’s definitely a much more steeper learning curve to pull it off and you’re very limited with your options, especially in regards to events.

I guess I just prefer 2k3 a little more because it suits my style, my taste in the types of games that I like to make, and I just feel really comfortable with it and can make pretty much anything that I want to make, so I guess I would say that I like it more because it’s more of a personal preference thing to me.
Separate mapping layers. No, seriously. That shit is the bomb.

Also, for some reason it's just much more fun to mess around in. IDK, it just is.

Also, nostalgia bombs everywhere. ;^; Love dat engine...

*Ahem*

It was an era of exploration and innovation. A time when people pushed past the boundaries of what they thought could be done and experimented, sharing their knowledge with their fellow creators. A time of expression and thought, when mapping wasn't all that a game should aspire for, when graphical consistency didn't matter so much, when you made custom menus just to prove you could. It was a time of discoveries; an era of moving ever-forward with design and forging rules and ideals that we now take for granted.

Those years were a trying time, a frightening time but a time of incredible fun and enjoyment. A time that was not about money or fame, but about sharing your creation with the world.

It was a very different time and is fondly looked back on by all who lived through it.

That's why people like the engine. It invokes dem feelz, dawg.
I like the side-view, ATB-based battle system reminiscent of Final Fantasy VI. The fact that you can access variables by reference is useful too, although of course if you know how to script in Ruby the later iterations are technically more flexible (dunno exactly why they didn't leave the capability to reference in the default scripting, though). Even that, however, is blown away by DynRPG, which is far more powerful if you have even basic C++ programming chops.
What I like best about it right now is that people finally decided to stop fucking fighting about it supposedly being the best engine. Fuck, that was annoying.

The separation of mapping layers was the best thing about it. Having all the advantages of VXA, there's no real reason to use 2k/3 anymore, but having to work around the compressed layers is a bit of a hassle when mapping.
It's old school in a good way. It has better eventing options than the new RPG Makers, and while it has no direct scripting support built in, DynRPG makes up for that.
I love the lower resolution graphics, makes the games feel more like real old school RPGs. The RTP is amazing (though 2K facesets are way better than 2K3's, lol), side view combat system is what needs to be done more in RPG Maker (fuck first person view combat), three mapping layers helps out so much.
The only thing that truly sucks about 2K3 is the limited amount of stuff you can do in the combat and how glitchy it can be.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I love the graphics. I like the rough, unpolished, Super Nintendo look they have. It looks like it could have been on the SNES console. Don't get me wrong; the squeaky clean look of VX Ace has its charm, but 2k3 will always have my favorite graphics. Yes, there's a difference between it and 2000. RM2k has a somewhat more primitive look to it.
author=Liberty
It was an era of exploration and innovation. A time when people pushed past the boundaries of what they thought could be done and experimented, sharing their knowledge with their fellow creators. A time of expression and thought, when mapping wasn't all that a game should aspire for, when graphical consistency didn't matter so much, when you made custom menus just to prove you could. It was a time of discoveries; an era of moving ever-forward with design and forging rules and ideals that we now take for granted.

That's so interesting because I have very similar feelings about RM2k, in addition to the satisfaction of being able to make an entire game just on my own. Obviously, I've had a lot of success with collaborations but there's still appeal to the idea of the one-man show. I don't think I could manage to pull of a whole game by myself in the newer engines (at least not one that anyone would be interested in).

These are really good, keep 'em coming!
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
I never used 2k3 myself, but it was the first RPG Maker engine I've ever seen in action. I'm not too much of a fan of pixelated graphics, but I can see how they appeal more to some people than later engines' RTPs. What I immediately liked was the cool-looking battle system, with moving hero battler graphics, the option to make enemies float etc. Of course, the disadvantage is that making your own hero battlers becomes much more difficult, not to mention the bugginess of the combat engine.
What's probably most important is that 2k3 relied a lot less on scripting than newer engines. I mean, scripting is awesome if you can find the time and energy to learn and use it. But this can't be taken for granted, and 2k3 offered a lot of functions not present by default in later engines.
Having a GUI to edit the components of a sideview battle system is a real boon.

E:
VX Ace really needs an API so that the Database window can be extended to include new GUI components for custom scripts.
I love both 2K and 2K3. VXA does have its charm, but 2K/3 just feels a bit more retro, for the retro lover in me, plus a person can learn a lot just from the events without having to resort to scripts. What y ou can learn to do yourself through events can easily be carried over from one maker to the next. What you learn from a script in XP and up isn't as easily portable. Quite often you'll either need to remake the script yourself for the next installment or request and wait for one to be made.
I like how it is fully functional for quite alot before scripts (XP is barely functional without scripts, as it is stripped down), and then plugins can be added to give it more features. In fact, because there aren't alot of proprietary protections, about 4 types of editing are available.

There's a LUA editor, I think.
C++ for DynRPG.
The ini allows quickpatches.
And the RPS+ allows some internal battle edits to be made.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
XP is barely functional without scripts, as it is stripped down

In what way is it "barely functional?" Vanilla XP has more features than 2k3.

because there aren't alot of proprietary protections

That's not true. DynRPG is a hack.

and then plugins can be added to give it more features.

That's not only true in XP, VX, and VXA, but it's more true in them because it's natively supported.

Sorry, I can't hear you over my facesets, variables and side-view battle system with an option to change both the GUI and back to front view.
author=Sailerius
It's missing Equip Two Weapons!!!

E:
heh, but seriously, it's telling that whenever a new RM engine comes out, one of Yanfly's first scripts always seems to be "Restore missing functionality from past makers"
I'm curious, does anyone else not relate to the retro / snes argument at all? People talk about a RM game and how it reminds them of a SNES game but I've never seen nor played a RM game that felt like it could've been on the SNES. It always feels like just another RM game but with a cheap coat of paint to make it look like, relatively speaking, a cheap Chinese knock off of Tresures of the Rudra. I don't hold it against them as that's a result of working in something like RM but I'd never consider them a 'SNES game'.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
hero's realm kinda sorta. otherwise i 100% agree with the knock-off Treasure of the Rudras analogy since the actual Rudras is way better than any 2k3 game using its graphics
author=Sailerius

What do you mean? I have three or four pages of commands on 2k3. It may be that I was using the demo version because I copied it, or something expired. But the XP was missing a load of features, and some commands didn't seem to work the same way I used them on 2k3. The tileset, the battle section, the monster party section, all of it seems to have more options in general. Especially considering you're paying money, I actually found VX Ace more workable in general out-of-the-box.

The one thing I remember XP being better at was that it had a better targeting thing, allowing you to target all for battle events that caused monster damage. That said, alot of the interface was so clunky that I couldn't do much with it. Someone who has both gimme screenshots. The number of event commands, the number of common event commands, the number of battle event commands. In most/all cases it's at least a page less.
I like 2K3 simply because of many of the reasons already stated. There's a lot of stuff already there for 2k3 (when I was looking at stuff for XP and VX, there was barely anything there at all, or anything that I would've wanted to use), and the system is pretty easy to understand (when I was looking at XP and VX, I didn't understand ANYTHING that was going on, and I didn't want the hassle of dealing with scripts back then). I know back when I posted my game on Pooshlmer, it got so much flak for not being done in VX, and people constantly tried to get me to switch to it, but I felt like 2K3 worked best for my type of game (that, and I didn't want to spend forever trying to recreate everything in another maker, even worse losing out of things that I had already done because they wouldn't work right or something). Yes, it probably does seem like a Treasures of Rudra knockout due to how much of the chipsets it uses from the game (but as stated already, kinda hard not to use those chipsets as they're the nicest looking bunch I've seen, and they're generally good for just about anything unless the game is specifically stylized like Earthbound or Zelda), but it works perfectly fine for mine (that, and there's like no good Final Fantasy chipsets to work with).

Add onto DynRPG and 2k9 Ultimate, both of which are really nice programs to use with 2k3, and a lot of flexibility can be done with them I feel that I think could rival VX Ace in terms of what could be done (don't quote me on that, I don't know VXA at all). I don't know, it's just a lot easier to use (though the bugginess of the battle system is something that annoys me aye...and it's really REALLY hard to make an unique battle system otherwise...)
Pages: first 1234 next last