GAMES YOU HATE OR DISLIKE?

Decky
I'm a dog pirate
I never really got into Megaman; it just seemed way too basic. The great thing about games like SMB3 and Super Metroid is that, yes, they're fairly fundamental platformers, but there are a TON of secrets and plenty of incentive to search for them. The only thing Super Metroid needed was some optional content to really drive home the need for stocking up on goodies.

I like a platformer that combines speed with secrets so that it caters to a variety of playstyles and moods. I'm less concerned about impeccably placed enemies and games that require a more methodical approach (Metroid notwithstanding). Sonic was my childhood.
The physics of Sonic always bugged me. Especially his jumping when on a slope.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
author=kentona
The physics of Sonic always bugged me. Especially his jumping when on a slope.

Yeah that admittedly still bugs me. I was replaying the old Sonic games a while back and it got under my skin a bit.
Looking back 2D Sonic games kind of contradict themselves. On one hand it takes awhile to really get going, like Sonic is really fucking slow at first. Which is weird considering Mario picks up speed much faster and SMB1 is a more fun game to speedrun. Sonic's level design is mazelike and pushes you back a lot, instead of punishing you for dying it forces you to slowlyyyyyyyyyy pick up speed again and crash into something again because the camera kinda sucks.

idk i think i now hate all sonic games but sonic adventure 2 is still great for ironic reasons.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
The only 2D Sonic game that gets under my skin is Sonic 1, but it's mainly because the level design was very blocky and didn't allow you to go blaze through levels that often, the Labyrinth Zone being the worst offender.

The rest I still enjoy to this day.
I tried to play Star Fox Adventures again today.

It's not really a bad game, it's OK. But it's just so...OK. The story isn't terrible, but it's not very notable, either. It takes place in such generic areas (ice world, fire world, tropical world, and dinosaurs everywhere...what is this, Diddy Kong Racing?) The characters are borderline annoying, although I do like the somewhat more cinematic dialog sections.

But Tricky is just a little shit. He says the most annoying things, I just mute the game. And given the very mediocre music and generic sound effects, I guess it's not too big a loss.

So I guess I would just say 6/10. But then there are the flying stages. Again, extra mediocre. But they are designed explicitly to remind of Star Fox 64. Which was an insanely fun game. I can play that game over and over again. I can play that game any day of the week. I can still put that game in, I know every quote, I know where everything is, but it's still tons of fun. They even somehow managed to make just going for points fun, when that had gone out of style ten years before.

Why taunt me with that? Because it should make me nostalgic? Because it's in the same series? No. That's what makes this game terrible, because it is just not even close to being as good as the earlier games.
Sonic Adventure 2 actually made engaging sections where you have to go fast, at least in the running segments, while having the more puzzle-like approach to things in the treasure hunting levels. What I find interesting is, while Eggman is traditionally the main villian, the desert segment in the Hero campaign (Stage 10-12) is the only place where you can encounter Badniks and there's only one boss big baldie built himself aside from him in his walker (Egg Golem). Every other mechanical enemy belongs to GUN.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=Sooz
Been playing one of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeons and mostly I really love it, but JESUS LORD THE CUTSCENES. This is one of the worst games I've ever seen for balance of gameplay versus expodump. I've taken to just sitting with the advance text button mashed and browsing the internet, because I have to wait for like five minutes to get on with it.

Yeah, PMD takes roguelikes, which are all about the gameplay, and makes them story-based. I guess people who play the games because they like roguelikes can take issue with that. I personally have no problem with that, to be honest. But then I tend to think story and music trump gameplay in any game. My favourite game franchise of all time is Ace Attorney, after all.

I tend to dislike games that focus more on gameplay than story. Good gameplay is great, but only if integrated into an even better story. If I finish a game with questions remaining about 'why', I am always very disappointed. I'm usually fine with games that have no story at all, like city builders, but games that throw in a story for the sake of having a story and then focus only on gameplay leave a bad taste in my mouth. It's one of the reasons why I'm not a fan of many multiplayer games. They tend to have a singleplayer campaign with a half-assed story.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
author=Sated
I tend to dislike games that focus more on gameplay than story.
It's not like gameplay and videogame share a common word fragment or anything...

Oh wait.

Games can do all kinds of things. We've been over this.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=Sated
It's not like gameplay and videogame share a common word fragment or anything...

Oh wait.

I dunno, a good game to me is 40% story, 30% music, 15% graphics and 15% gameplay. Guess I should call the games I like audio books then.

I'm not saying gameplay is completely unnecessary. Even in visual novels I still want to feel like I'm somehow actually doing something to influence what's going on. I just think the gameplay should fit the story, not the other way around.
I read the story the first time through a game, but more often than not I play most games on mute nowadays. I'd say I'm 60% gameplay, 20% story, 15% graphics and 5% music
How much I care for gameplay depends on what I expect from the game - I'm more critical when a game provides deep strategic choices, while I hope for a story-driven game that it's still at least enough for me to bear it.
author=Sated
Meh. I guess I just never thought speed was what the Mega Drive Sonic games were about and so the speed never really bothered me.

I think it's a thing to advertise the game with swooshy aesthetics and FAST FAST FAST (and more fast) only it to be more slower than megaman in terms of pure pacing. If the loop ramps are there just to look good (in which you have no control over other than letting go of right) than I would find the game to have a lot of unnecessary elements. Same for stealth games that turn out to be action games with stealth being completely optional or a SURVIVAL HORROR just being a tongue and cheek campy third person shooter. Maybe it doesn't matter as long as the game's good, after all I find Dark Souls YOU WILL DIE advertising to be very adverse to what is basically to me an atmospheric exploration game so it doesn't affect me.

This point could also relate to the tangent thing about story/game where as long as the game let's you know that it's going to be a very story driven game then there isn't much to complain about.

Barring that there are some design moments inside the game that do seem like a "fast moment" where you're assumed to go down this ramp and pick up speed from the spinny things that make you go more fast and then- WIAT WAIT WAIT STOP, moving platform section. Like the game itself teases you and stops you.
Well even so in the SEGA GENESIS sonic games there are level points that contradict the very nature of slow platforming but for some reason there's always a slow platforming segment coming up anyway? idk the game is very good at tricking me. in the DREAMCAST NTSC sonic games they're a little bit better when you're ONLY just playing as sonic/shadow, there's a speed and flow to a lot of the sections and I find the homing attack replaces the deliberate jumping sections with faster deliberate hit thing sections pretty well. there are still a lot of problems like camera problems or broken level geometry but at least it doesn't contradict itself.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Speed is kind of both a given and a reward in the Mega Drive/Genesis Sonic games. It is flawed, I admit, in that in order to really go as fast as the ad campaigns say you should go, you need to memorize the course layout. Such layout is designed basically to screw you over from achieving that speed, hence backward-sending springs, spike pits, and badniks exist. A good sonic level, however, has means where you can pretty much bypass the bits that slow you down if you understand Sonic's mechanics.

Probably the most infamous example of this is the Chemical Plant Zone. That stage has a lot of gloss and loops that merely distract you from being able to beat the first act in less than 30 seconds:

Yeah, Sonic is pretty much designed around trial-and-error, but it has many things mechanics-wise, from having an infinite buffer as long as you have a ring to the games as a whole being relatively easy to beat, that make up for it. The speed you do get is so exhilarating tho.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
It takes me like 35 seconds to beat that act :(

I can beat Emerald Hill Act 1 in about 28 seconds though!
I think SMB1 is also trial and error but it rewards you a little better, and in fact if you're hitting left you're doing it wrong. The punishment is more immediate and the momentum is more of your control, leading into some interesting improvs when things don't go entirely to plan. just no BLAST PROCESSING