Oracle Games - Worst Story
Wind Waker - Worst Dungeons / Worst Items
Phantom Hourglass - Temple of the Ocean King was Stupid
Minish Cap - Worst Gimmick
Twilight Princess - Least Challenging / Most Disappointing Combat
Spirit Tracks - Worst Exploration
Skyward Sword - Worst World & Characters / Worst Master Sword / SAAAAAAND
Link Between Worlds - Can't Get Lost

Having played the majority of these games, I tend to agree.
Here are my top favorites:
1. Z-Windwaker
2. Oracle of Ages/Seasons
3. Skyward Sword
4. Ocarina of Time/Majora Mask
5. Zelda LTTP
6. Minish Cap
7. NES Zelda 1,2 (Never played in full)
8. Link between Worlds (Never played this one)
------------------------
Least favorites:
1. Link's Awaikening (Never played in full)
2. Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks (Never played this one)
3. Twilight Princess
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Majora's Mask has the worst budget. All that reused shit from Ocarina of Time is just pathetic.

Wind Waker has the worst exploration. I mean, that's obvious. Fuck the ocean. Never playing that game again. The sailing is so bad. It makes the game completely unplayable.

Twilight Princess has the best everything in every category.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Twilight Princess had a lot of neat things in it but it's all buried under so much cruft that although I enjoyed it the first time I played it, I'll never play it again. It's also one of the worst offenders in the 'items as keys' area.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.

recycle your bottles
author=LockeZ
Majora's Mask has the worst budget. All that reused shit from Ocarina of Time is just pathetic.

Wind Waker has the worst exploration. I mean, that's obvious. Fuck the ocean. Never playing that game again. The sailing is so bad. It makes the game completely unplayable.

Twilight Princess has the best everything in every category.

If I'm not mistaking, Majora's Mask was going to be an ocarina of time expansion type thing (I think the master quest to be exact) before they wanted to make a new game instead. Which probably explains all the re used sounds.

I actually loved the sailing in Wind Waker, it was fun and adventurous!

And I actually thought twilight princess was the worst at exploration, items, combat etc. I liked Twilight Princess but it was dull to me. I liked the dungeons, but everything else was bland. Including the story which I just can't stand at all.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there was one case where they reused things in game that was stupid, it was the dancing in the oracle games, its annoying and both. But I recall seasons being much worse. They could have done something better instead of dancing. That's My only gripe with both of them. I love the oracle games and to me there some of the best in the series. And some of my personal favorites as well. Despite loosing motivation to beat them. (I was almost to mermaids cave in ages but guess what, you guessed it, that stupid goron dance) And to be honest, I love all the portable Zelda Games, there all too much fun...... Except Phantom Hourglass.
LockeZ
Really? Twilight Princess is the only game in the series where the swordplay has any more depth than swing sword, charge up sword for circle swing, jump attack for double damage. You got all kinds of neat combat abilities like finishing moves and counterattacks and rolling strikes and stuff. And it was the first and last game where the tools were also integrated into combat well - you could use them all effectively while locked on, and even use some of them from horseback while locked on. I loved it.

Far better than the bullshit horrible Skyward Sword bullshit where it tracked your remote terribly, and then did everything a third of a second after you did it.
I've played the main console games between LttP and Skyward Sword, in addition to Minish Cap and GC Four Swords. Playing that many games might lead you to think I'm a big fan of the series, but really I'm fairly mox-nix towards it nowadays, and I think GC Four Swords is the only game I'd ever play again, assuming multiplayer. I'll probably still check out Zelda WiiU, but I'm hardly drooling with anticipation or anything.

Majora's Mask definitely has some of the best atmosphere and NPCs, given its huge focus on side quests, but the fact that 75% of the game's content is those optional side quests is pretty whack. Nearly all the side quests are just for a piece of heart, which would be more appreciated if the game wasn't about as poop easy as all the others.

GC Four Swords can actually be quite fun with others, and does some things I'd like to see in the regular Zeldas. Namely, I love the effects of upgrading the items, and the occasional huge crowds of mooks. And while most people prefer to explore environments and backtrack to them later on to find other things etc, I honestly prefer this game's general linearity. Not so much losing all the upgrades you find every level, or not being able to carry more than one item at a time, though.

Twilight Princess I think has the most cinematic boss fights, but mostly the game felt dull. I don't know if it's the color palette or lack of magical items or what, but the game doesn't feel as "fantastical" as the other Zeldas. I mean, there's the Twilight Realm, but... eh. It just mostly feels like the "REAL IS BROWN" dimension more than anything, and the monster designs (and the sound design) seem more appropriate for a sci-fi than the usual Zelda fare. I suppose that was a deliberate attempt to make the place feel alien, but I don't think that was the way to do it. Midna is definitely the best "Navi" the series has ever had, though. The "secret" techniques were all pretty spiffy, though. Shield Bash is a pain to do on Wii version, but I legitimately enjoyed fighting Darknuts in this game.

As for Skyward Sword, which I played probably 85% of, I don't know if my distaste for it is for what it did different or for what it did the same. The developer interviews while it was in development were hinting towards a different experience, namely more compact. Namely, their comments about how Twilight Princess was too damn big and that they wanted to concentrate on "density of gameplay"... too bad it seems that meant they just wanted to reuse locations more.
I was legitimately interested in the motion control additions, as my sister and I played Wii Sports Resort and were like "so when are they putting all this shit in a Zelda game?", so the fact that they didn't program it well is not only a huge disappointment, but a complete mystery as well. I mean, I can understand the swordplay being off, as having to animate Link is a big jump up from animating a Mii, but how did they not even get the pointer to be reliable? Damn thing keeps drifting all over creation... I don't think the control is as bad as a lot of people claim, but I wouldn't call it a success.
I do like the directing swinging options, even if they technically aren't all that new. Every 3D Zelda since OoT has had left/right/down slashes and thrust - this is just the only game where choosing one direction over the other actually matters. However, the way they programmed the enemies to take advantage of it is really lame. Rather than fighting normally, letting you look for an opening on your own, they mostly just run up to you and block, making every enemy feel like the direction-chopping mini-game from Wii Sports Resort rather than an actual fight. I can't comment on how accurate the swinging is, though, as after a while I found it was more reliable to just ignore enemies, chuck bombs at them/shoot with arrows, or attack them without caring and just shield-bash the counter attack if they block. (Some counter attacks are so slow you can actually just swing your sword again and kill them that way)
Beyond that, and several other missteps (The Sky is just The Great Sea V2, only now you can't just set the wind and go grab a sandwich while sailing the vast emptiness), the game felt like more of the same Zelda/generic action-adventure formula I've grown tired of.
LockeZ
author=turkeyDawg
Rather than fighting normally, letting you look for an opening on your own, they mostly just run up to you and block, making every enemy feel like the direction-chopping mini-game from Wii Sports Resort rather than an actual fight.
Yeah that's basically Skyward Sword in a nutshell. What makes it actually worse than the sword chopping in Wii Sports Resort is that most enemies change stances about once per second. But... it takes them maybe a quarter of a second to perform the stance-changing animation so you can see which way to swing. Then, swinging the remote actually takes time, significantly longer than pressing a button - maybe a third of a second. And then there's about a quarter-second of input lag after you swing the remote before it registers your input and Link starts swinging. And then Link has to do his swing animation before the attack actually connects... The amount of time you're left with to react and swing is a negative number.

Plus the whole game only has like 6 enemy types, so even if the swordplay worked it would get really dull. They didn't have time to make the gameplay any good, because they spent all their money working on the motion controls. And on the impressionist art style that looks amazing in screenshots but just looks indistinguishable from low-res graphics when you're actually walking around and the motion blur is happening.
Yeah, the graphics don't seem like they were what the developers wanted. It's also a bit inconsistent in that the characters and enemies and such all look completely normal anyways.

I want to say that you're exaggerating about the reaction times for the enemies, but it has been 3 years since I touched the game, and, as I said, I just ignored that mini-game completely after I found out how utterly broken the shield bash is.

e: what actually makes it worse than the chopping mini-games is that the enemies don't split in half when you chop them.
author=turkeyDawg
I found out how utterly broken the shield bash is.

You are 100% right on the shield bash. I had friends tell me how hard the final boss is, and when I played it, I shield bashed every attack he did perfectly fine. Not with the stupid hylian shield neither. The goddess shield is utterly broken even without upgrading it.

author=LockeZ
Really? Twilight Princess is the only game in the series where the swordplay has any more depth than swing sword,

You are correct there. but thing is for me. I never bothered because just swinging the sword for me was the easier way to defeat enemies. I found all the cool tricks to be kinda of pointless against enemies. It would have been cooler if they made enemies that were made to use these abilities on. The Darknuts were a good example at least in my opinion.

Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Oracle of Ages/Seasons is forever my favourite.
I've been working through LoZ and Link's Adventure. Hard! I'm getting used to it slowly.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
I could never even get to the half of twilight's princess because everytime i tried i fell asleep from how bored i felt. I don't know if the game ramps up in excitement in the latter parts, i wouldn't know because i couldn't stay awake to find out. Also completely gently caress wolf form.
A Link to the Past and the remake A Link Between Worlds are the only games I could finish without having to consult a guide to find my way through a dungeon. I did use the guide to find a few out of the way secrets, mainly to 100% ALttP. Dungeons can be overlooked quite well, it's clear which way to go and you can frequently use a different item to solve a puzzle in a different approach. It also has well-designed enemies - they have notable and clear patterns and attack you agressively enough to stay on your toes. Keep in mind I missed the hint goggles and never knew they even existed.

Confusing and unnecessarily complex dungeons made me gave up on OoT's Fire Temple (how is the Water Temple supposed to surpass that?), Minish Cap's final dungeon (A wonder I even played this far), Majora's Mask's beginning (I would have never figured out you're supposed to wait until 5 minutes left) and after the third dungeon in Wind Waker (having absolutely no clue where to go next).

Bosses in OoT and Minish Cap are sluggish, easily predictable and merely require spamming whatever item you found in the dungeon until the opponent falls over, then running at them with the sword. While there is simple bosses in ALttP you just whack with your sword, the boss' attacks (and sometimes, the arena) force you to pay attention at all times.
author=Mirak
I could never even get to the half of twilight's princess because everytime i tried i fell asleep from how bored i felt. I don't know if the game ramps up in excitement in the latter parts, i wouldn't know because i couldn't stay awake to find out. Also completely gently caress wolf form.

are you me

i also feel the same with metroid prime 2 for some reason
Hey Pizza, how is Majoras Mask 3D?

Also what do people here think of the Oracle games?
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
I acquired oracle of ages when the DS came out because i saw it on sale, i couldn't finish it before it was stolen but what i played was pretty fun. I really liked the game and the items you could get.
LockeZ
The puzzles in the dungeons in A Link Between Worlds were pathetic, every time you had to use an item there was an icon in the shape of the item on the exact spot where you had to stand while using it

Nintendo plz, no one is that stupid, this is not enjoyable, we play puzzle games because we enjoy figuring things out

The rest of the game was okay. The wall puzzles were great. At first I really liked that it gave you the ability to buy almost every tool right at the beginning of the game - starting you at the point where Link to the Past ended, gameplay-wise. That gave them the opportunity to have a level of complexity in the puzzles that was impossible in other Zelda games - starting things right off the bat with really complex puzzles that required using five or six tools together in clever ways, and moving forward fromthere. However, the opportunity was totally wasted, and none of those tools were ever used in more than one dungeon. Instead of assuming you always had all of them, they assumed you never had any of them, and never made a single puzzle that required more than one tool. So much potential, all wasted.

The combat was also weirdly easier than Link to the Past, and the world was smaller. On the surface it seemed identical, but Link was about 50% bigger and walked about 50% faster, and his sword was about twice as long and swung in an arc twice as wide. Did they really think Link to the Past was too hard for modern gamers? Was this game even marketed to modern gamers? I was pretty sure it was the one Zelda game that was marketed specifically to veterans, so you'd think every aspect of it would be harder. NOPE
author=LockeZ
The puzzles in the dungeons in A Link Between Worlds were pathetic, every time you had to use an item there was an icon in the shape of the item on the exact spot where you had to stand while using it

Nintendo plz, no one is that stupid, this is not enjoyable, we play puzzle games because we enjoy figuring things out

I will admit myself. That was pathetic, and it was stupid on there part to think its players are dumb. Also did anyone else hear that Zelda wii u has been possibly delayed even more. More so that its not even going to come out in 2016.
LockeZ
It sounds so bad, I hope it never comes out
Always count on Zelda games getting delayed.

author=LockeZ
Instead of assuming you always had all of them, they assumed you never had any of them, and never made a single puzzle that required more than one tool.

I don't have this game (or even a 3DS), but I don't think they had much of a choice here, as you having any one particular tool is never guaranteed. I think the only way it could have worked is if the tools all had multiple purposes and most could at least cover a few of each other's functions, and then have many multiple routes through each dungeons depending on your items. I don't know if they did anything approaching that, but given the series' history of making dungeon tools mostly pointless outside of the dungeon you get it in, and the rather large effort required of doing the latter point, I'm guessing they didn't.

Did they really think Link to the Past was too hard for modern gamers? Was this game even marketed to modern gamers?

At this point I'm pretty sure most companies consider literally anything to be too hardcore.

Anyways, I don't know if it deserves to be brought up here, but I actually like Link's Crossbow Training and would love to see some of its mechanics (like shooting glowing enemies to get temporary bow power-ups) show up in the regular games. Or at least be used as the basis for the mandatory shooting mini-game that's in every Zelda game. Anyone else here like it?

e: also, during development of CT, Miyamoto suggested placing the game in a "Terminator future" to justify Link's automatic weapon. Dunno about y'all, but I'd have fucking loved it if they had actually went with that.