RPG MAKER MV ANNOUNCED FOR PC AND MAC

BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=Tayruu
Yeah, I saw the official (English) page about it and I wasn't sure what to think. It sounds basically like RMVXAce, only with a third layer.

Heck speaking of layer stuff, are we still stuck with short characters that don't work right if they're more than two tiles tall? (i.e. in VXA by default if you stand in front of like a lamp post, your character can poke through star priority tiles)

There's so many liiiittle things honestly that I want to experiment with to check how they work, but I'm just too sceptical about this version at the moment.
When it releases in English there'll likely be a free trial so you can sate your curiosity then.
I should rephrase that. I only wonder if we will be stuck with a certain battle system. I don't know why the hell I was wondering if we would get both front and side view. They already said as much. I swear my mind is on the fritz today.
BizarreMonkey
author=LorSquirrel
I should rephrase that. I only wonder if we will be stuck with a certain battle system. I don't know why the hell I was wondering if we would get both front and side view. They already said as much. I swear my mind is on the fritz today.
Dunno, be kinda weird to not have one just all the way through, I hope it's easy to change the sprite facing / location.

Time will tell, I suppose.
Easier ways to animate sprites, not involving making the spriteset 20 rows long, would be nice.
BizarreMonkey
author=SnowOwl
Easier ways to animate sprites, not involving making the spriteset 20 rows long, would be nice.
It's all fun for me because I give all the hard work to everybody else!

You can probably find a work around, though! Like duping rows to save yourself time, or there might just be an option to use 'Kaduki' style battlers, or regular.
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
My only hope for this new rpg maker is a better face generator in the character creator (if there is one). They were so ugly to me.
Plus when I see stuff like this

I die inside
Porkate42

Sorry, I should've known it's true beauty.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc

Insult the face gen one more time and pay the price

''I watch you as you sleep and when you are expecting the least, I will be coming for your sweet sweet junk''
Porkate42
I should've thought better before insulting the great face generator! It is our true lord! But now it's too late!

**Warning: HUGE**
Frogge
Lol now I feel like I'm in a final boss fight haha
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
don't make fun of face gen I thought that was the best thing on the planet when vx ace launched.....
Frogge
Porkate42
Someone should make a game about the faces
Porkate42
Whoops double post
Heck speaking of layer stuff, are we still stuck with short characters that don't work right if they're more than two tiles tall? (i.e. in VXA by default if you stand in front of like a lamp post, your character can poke through star priority tiles)

This is actually not possible unless you straight up have a fully 3D tile world and its capable of drawing everything sorted correctly, and it chops every movable sprite by the tile's grid and draws each resulting square fragment according to its proper Z layer. Sorting the events by Y (every RPG maker engine ever does this) means you can ignore the case that two events differ only slightly in the Y or Z directions.

The result is an engine that is completely bizarre and using it will send anyone into an MC Escher fever nightmare.

I can understand that they chose the normal approach. Just map your tiles carefully and you'll be fine.
author=Tayruu
Oh dear lord.
RMXP had/has something for this, it was called "priorities".
I know cause i used it a lot, for fences for example, depending on the priority, if say.. my character was 64 pixels tall and the fence was only 32, if i stood below it, the upper body would be in front of the fence, and if stood even with the fence, or even above it and say.. it was like 40 pixels high.. the player would appear behind it.
Priorities were great for this.
None of the RPG Makers have had priorities since XP, BUT there are some scripts to.. at lease simulate the fence.
It was not any sort of nightmare to use.
VX and Ace don't have it.
And there MIGHT be a way to set something similar up in MV, we just have to wait and see.
A JS plugin perhaps.
BizarreMonkey
Face Gen is... amazingly wretched.

What I did appreciate Hella was the character generator that came with it.

I'd rather a character generator, because those sprite-sheets being able to be generated?

Well, let's just say it would save me some time(or money), or my artists some trepidation.
Ugh, I hate coming here and finding several pages long threads, because I'm sure some interesting things have been said, but I'm just too lazy to read everything... So all I can say is that, this great news! I know not to expect much when it comes to Rpg Maker products, but the mobile device support is just too alluring a feature to let this one slip away. I just hope is not too expensive when it comes out. And I may even push myself to learn to code for once to justify that investment, so that's a good thing. xD
so what's MV stand for, anyway?

if nobody's sure, I'm gonna go ahead and say that it's 'mawk version'