RPG MAKER MV ANNOUNCED FOR PC AND MAC

Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
THOSE TILESETS ARE SAAAAAAAAAAA CUTE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMG AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Sorry had to XD
Nobody's mentioning there's going to be a character compositor (mentioned on the English release page) or that the engine will use OpenGL (mentioned on the same page under requirements).

I'm impressed by only these two things from MV because: having something that assembles character parts for you can streamline both the quality and quantity of you drawing characters, and it was previously rumored VX used an inefficient software rendering method while this might imply MV's engine will rely entirely on your video card.

Also, the difference between Ruby and Javascript to me is like the difference between getting hanged or shot. At least there's a module system we hope is actually modular.
Oh. I somehow missed the mention of the compositor. Very interevesting.

I have no idea what OpenGL is, but at least it sounds cool.

I never really had much of a trouble running VX Ace games. Maybe i just got lucky.

My brother works a lot in JavaScript for his job. He says that it's great.
Hmm very tempted to resize the ol' 2k RTP to 24x24 and try it out in this program. Yeah, this is happening... Still there's those blocky auto tiles again ;_;
it's certainly doable though! I was feeling the same, but we should wait for rmmv to release, for that >_>
author=Ratty524
author=Red_Nova
What? You could just choose which layer to work on? That... that sounds magical! Holy crap if MV does this I swear I'll never touch Ace again.
I see you have never used RMXP. :P

But anyway, I'd be in the same boat with you if MV restores that feature.

Sadly, I don't think they have. Judging by this screenshot? http://www.siliconera.com/postgallery/?p_gal=500785|9 Still no layer buttons. I worry that this means repainting the lower layer will do the same thing as VXA too - erase the upper layer.

I'm probably sticking with VXAce at this rate anyway though, I'm not fond of Javascript's wonky logic. (And I'm just bitter about it being everywhere online with sites using 20 offsite scripts and all.)
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

This is what is said on the page about 3 layers, but I don't know what it means. It doesn't sound like XP to me.

"Previously, transparent parts made through upper-level tiles were displayed, but you could not replace them. RPG Maker MV’s program automatically switches between the upper and lower parts, so you can easily make three-layered presentations."
Yeah, I saw the official (English) page about it and I wasn't sure what to think. It sounds basically like RMVXAce, only with a third layer.

Heck speaking of layer stuff, are we still stuck with short characters that don't work right if they're more than two tiles tall? (i.e. in VXA by default if you stand in front of like a lamp post, your character can poke through star priority tiles)

There's so many liiiittle things honestly that I want to experiment with to check how they work, but I'm just too sceptical about this version at the moment.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=Tayruu
Heck speaking of layer stuff, are we still stuck with short characters that don't work right if they're more than two tiles tall? (i.e. in VXA by default if you stand in front of like a lamp post, your character can poke through star priority tiles)

That's true of almost any RM, though. You'd need something like a "star star" layer that's "higher than one-star tiles" or some such, in order for the game to display that properly.

Alternatively, you could just make your lamp post an event like people have been doing since RM2k.
Yeah but that was an issue with Ace, since events, even if just for showing images and having nothing else in them, lagged after a few were used. And jumped a pixel every time the screen moved. Hopefully MV fixes those issues so that, if need be, event-mapping can be useful once more.
So just for clarity, you will be able to port to ios, but not android? What's the thought behind that? ;_;
It says that you can port to Android.
Frogge
I'm so gonna fill app store with my shitty games
It'll get filled with them either way. So go nuts.
Frogge
Now where's my time machine again?
Ugh, JavaScript.

I think James Iry said it best:

1995 - Brendan Eich reads up on every mistake ever made in designing a programming language, invents a few more, and creates LiveScript. Later, in an effort to cash in on the popularity of Java the language is renamed JavaScript. Later still, in an effort to cash in on the popularity of skin diseases the language is renamed ECMAScript.
I have to wonder if we have to decide between frontview and sideview for a project and whether or not we can change it for certain battles or not.
I'm pretty sure it was already shown in the leaks and whatnot. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

Either way, I'd love that type of feature as well.