[POLL] THE SORTING OF LEGO

Poll

To what degree do you sort LEGO? - Results

Everything goes into the same bucket
39%
Sorted by broad genres (Star Wars and Galaxy Squad is "Space" LEGO, Castle and Hobbit and Pirate is "Fantasy" LEGO, classic and City is "Modern" LEGO, etc...)
13%
Sorted by LEGO genres (Stars Wars only gets mixed with Star Wars, Castle only goes with other Castle LEGO, Ninja Turtle LEGO only with Ninja Turtle LEGO etc..)
5%
Each set is stored individually. No mixing!
7%
I don't like LEGO/I hate life
2%
I am a heathen and mix LEGO with Megablocks
2%
Fuck you you rich bastard and you expensive toys!
28%

Pages: first 12 next last
Now that I have kids who are of LEGO age (this is an important rite of passage) I need to know - how do you sort LEGO?
unity
You're magical to me.
I think they get sorted in the same bucket at some point regardless of how hard you try to keep them separated.
Back in the day we didn't have any fancy sets. So even with the one-bucket method everything fit together!
Just ignore the color mixture.
When I was a kid I had bags sorted by type (people, props, blocks, etc.) and then colors. Most of my lego was castle stuff though so there was no need for genre stuff.

I'd say store it by broad genres and watch it all end up in the same bucket at the end of the day anyways.
Remarkably, we kept our LEGO sorted by broad genre growing up. This was in a house with 4 kids with an age difference of 12 years.

I just inherited the "space" LEGO bucket from my older brother - still intact and unsullied from other genres.

It CAN be done.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
All of these sortings you've proposed are way too broad. Real men sort legos by their block type. 1x1s with each other, 1x2s with each other, 2x2s with each other, 2x3s with each other, 2x4s with each other, etc.
Of course this takes many boxes, but you can cut corners by making a miscellaneous box.

That's the system my parents used, anyway. Me and my brother never had problems finding piexes that way.

No matter what sorting system you go with, the hardest part is probably going to be having your kids abiding by your system though.
My brothers and I had a few 80s and 90s Castle sets and a bag full of unknown Space sets. Having them sorted by genre was the way to go :)

We never really built anything original other than said sets. Instead we played D&D-like scenarios using the characters.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Everything in the same bucket. And by the way, the first Legos special sets came out in 1971 and they were dollhouses. The first Legos men, like are so popular today, was introduced in 1978. When I was growing up in the 80s, I had the space set and one of the old Castles sets.
I will say right now: I am a heathen and I bought the Lord Business' Lair set, super-glued Lord Business and Business Kitty together and put them on a shelf, never intending to use them for anything other than display.

(Although I haven't glued Metalbeard together yet. I'll attend to that at Christmas.)

I don't own many LEGOs besides that set though. I used to, but I gave them all to my friend, who is super into LEGO stuff, and he sorts them as follows:

Torsos
Simple (1 Colour) Pants
Detail Pants
Heads (organized into stacks based on glasses/beards/double sided/etc)
Regular hair/headpieces
Black hair/headpieces
Body Accessories (Capes, Helmet Visors, Shoulderpads/Armour)
Other Accessories (Weapons, Fire, Held Things)
Display Plates (for minifigs)
Ground Plates
and finally, each colour of building block goes together.

He has an absolute LOAD of bricks and LEGO pieces though. The most I've ever seen in person. So you may not need this consistent of a system. (also, he doesn't make any special storage for licenced/themed stuff, it's all treated the same)
Yeah I have an older brother, and he got a bunch of those original space sets. I still have them! I should take a picture of them or something.

author=Jeroen_Sol
All of these sortings you've proposed are way too broad. Real men sort legos by their block type. 1x1s with each other, 1x2s with each other, 2x2s with each other, 2x3s with each other, 2x4s with each other, etc.
Of course this takes many boxes, but you can cut corners by making a miscellaneous box.

That's the system my parents used, anyway. Me and my brother never had problems finding piexes that way.

No matter what sorting system you go with, the hardest part is probably going to be having your kids abiding by your system though.

This level of sorting never occurred to me.

However, with every set nowadays being licensed material and being comprised of like 85% custom pieces, it would fall apart quickly.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Yeah, it worked better when most blocks were actually standard bricks.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Pizza
I will say right now: I am a heathen and I bought the Lord Business' Lair set, super-glued Lord Business and Business Kitty together and put them on a shelf, never intending to use them for anything other than display.

you are literally going against the entire point of the movie you heathen

anyway

Kylaila
Back in the day we didn't have any fancy sets. So even with the one-bucket method everything fit together!

this. who needs the $40-100 sets???? just get some normal legos and use some creativity. *shakes stick at youngins*
I once had a large bucket of legos consisting of a easy to sort out mixture like
space pirates, futuristic ships, submarine colonies, along with several medival
castles. I invested alot of time socializing, building and polishing all kinds of spaceships and extremely tall HQ towers (several feet high).
I would assemble a team of characters (Captain/Boss and arwing included) on each row of the battlefield. Each member had a fixed amount of HP and elemental attributes largely like in mario rpg/FF Mini-bosses. Row 1(Player one) vs Row 2 (player two).
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
As a BIONICLE fan, I just put them on shelfs.
The beauty of Lego is the anarchy. Order from chaos, the cycle of creation and destruction.

Put it all in one bin.
author=Craze
Pizza
you are literally going against the entire point of the movie you heathen

anyway

Kylaila

this. who needs the $40-100 sets???? just get some normal legos and use some creativity. *shakes stick at youngins*
normal legos are $40-100 :'(
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I think standard bricks are in one bucket, people-parts are in a smaller bucket, and the more fragile semi-transparent parts are in another bucket? Maybe?

*hasn't messed with LEGOs since the 90's*
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
One tin, endless possibilities.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=Marrend
I think standard bricks are in one bucket, people-parts are in a smaller bucket, and the more fragile semi-transparent parts are in another bucket? Maybe?

*hasn't messed with LEGOs since the 90's*

Yeah, I thought about messing with them again. Saw price: never mind.
Pages: first 12 next last