[IG MAKER] TEN YEARS LATER, WHAT IS THE COMMUNITY'S VERDICT ON IG MAKER?

Pages: 1
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
Hey all, I've been wondering about this for a while.

My current game project requires an ABS. While it is not impossible to make one in RPG Maker 2003, designing a compelling action system around its limitations is a greater challenge than just "coding" one out of event commands. I'm actually quite good with event commands, having been an RM2K3 user since 2006, but no matter how hard I try, the combat always feels sloppy and awkward, and changing into a turn based system simply would not work for my project.

So I moved to Game Maker (thanks to Cap_H for the gift code <3) but making all the little things I need to make in it, without any prior knowledge of GML, is proving to be a frustrating endeavor, even moreso when I have a 9-to-5 teaching job and a wife to care for. I long for the old days of my RPG Maker youth, but alas, now I'm an adult, unfortunately.

That's when I remembered IG Maker was a thing, long ago. At least according to its store page description, it seems to have everything I require already built in, so it'd save me a whole lot of time that I'd be able to use on other things, like designing dungeons, writing the story, and improving the dialogs.

I tried downloading the trial version, but it glitched out for me and I could never try it out. I'm actually willing to buy the full thing if people in general tell me they had a good experience with it, even without having used the trial version myself.

The engine is now ten years old, probably a bit older, and the community seems to have lost enthusiasm for it really quickly. So my question is: to those of you who have used IG Maker, would you recommend it? Why/why not? Is it something a person with decent knowledge of RPG Maker event commands can dive right in, or does it require expertise on other things?

Thank you all for your attention, I eagerly await your replies.
Don't use it. It didn't received updates compared to its jp counterpart. There's a lot of weird design choices in the software. Just use Game Maker or Unity.

Just watch Friendly Cosmonaut's Tutorials. She does a great job explaining Video Game Programming concepts and applying them in Game Maker. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKCKHxkH8zqV9ltWZw0JFig
*literally hasn't gotten around to trying it*

*hides*

Edit: actually I also tend to forget IG Maker is a thing for long stretches of time, much like OP.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I bought it on a sale, but it didn't run. I think it should be ok for making a small game with simple mechanics, but it's definitely clunkier than most modern engines. There's one decent game made in it on rmn, so I would recommend to try it out and see how you like it.
Ofc learning basics of something like Godot or GM or Stencyl would prove to be more efficient in the long run. I still might have a 1 year premium Stencyl license, if you're interested. That one should be fast to get into and easy to use. It's def more modern and less clunky than IG
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

All the games made with IG Maker on this website = 2

That's a drastic no for a community that heavily supports Enterbrain products.

Out of interest I also searched games made with RPG Maker 95, an old and obsolete engine, and it still has more games.
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
author=Cap_H
I bought it on a sale, but it didn't run. I think it should be ok for making a small game with simple mechanics, but it's definitely clunkier than most modern engines. There's one decent game made in it on rmn, so I would recommend to try it out and see how you like it.
Ofc learning basics of something like Godot or GM or Stencyl would prove to be more efficient in the long run. I still might have a 1 year premium Stencyl license, if you're interested. That one should be fast to get into and easy to use. It's def more modern and less clunky than IG

I think I'm gonna try Godot. It looks a lot more user friendly than I expected for an open source platform.

Thank you all for the replies, they're greatly appreciated! :)
Pages: 1