HOW MUCH LORE SHOULD YOU FIND IN A UNIVERSITY LIBRARY ?

Pages: 1
Early in one of my games, which has a minimalist intro, I want to give the player access to a university library. And, to convey the feeling of being in a university library, I think it should contain a lot of books describing the world, including lore non-relevant for the story to come. But this idea conflicts the following:
1) Most RPG players read ALL the books and might get overwhelmed.
2) The story relevant lore will be told later bit by bit as it becomes relevant for the story.
3) If you play any of my games, you'll notice that I favor building game mechanic over game narrative. Lore writing isn't my strongest skill.

So, how much lore do you expect to find in a university library to make you FEEL you are in a university library ?
I don't know about the question of how much exactly to put in, but here's a suggestion for making a limited amount feel natural: place a number of books laying open around the place, like somebody had been reading them and just left them out for a bit. That suggests to the player that these are particularly interesting reads -- somebody else sought them out after all -- and gives an excuse why you'd only get a tiny scrap of info from them -- you're just glancing at what's visible on the open page. If you really want to have extra lore, maybe you can put that in the shelved books for players who enjoy scraping every little tidbit from the world.
you can do whatever you want. it's pretty inconsequential to have an optional lore dump area. Morrowind has tons of libraries in the game that are just books for days.

though I feel like you're falling for the trap of "every door needs to be openable because it's a door" and not just adding function when actually needed. you don't have to put lore in if you don't like making lore which should take precedence over realism or whatever.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
While I don't disagree with the idea of lore dumps in general, the problem comes with how much of that info will be required by the player to remember in order to understand what is going on. If players need to understand a lot of it, then it would be important to have a quick reference for them to access at any point in their adventure. To that end, a codex accessible from the camp menu would serve your purpose better.

If you want to convey the FEELING that you're in a library, then the component missing in your explanation is the world's reactions to said lore. To avoid text dumps that many players will get bored of/forget most of, have the NPCs read the books for the player and then filter out the irrelevant lore through their interpretations when players talk to them. That way you serve the purpose of conveying the lore without overwhelming the player (and yourself) with too much info.
As someone who worked at their university's library... I'd skip the books and focus more on the people you'd find hanging out there (university libraries tend to be VERY busy places). You'll get more of a lived-in feel if you're running into frazzled students cramming for exams or pompous professors doing research.

Going that route also has the advantage that you don't have to lore dump to convey information to the player - just introduce an NPC as an expert on an appropriate topic, and let the player ask them questions about the lore after it comes up in the story and they have a reason to care.
Dyluck
For thousands of years, I laid dormant. Who has disturbed my slumber?
You specified that this library is going to be EARLY in the game. If so, then too much lore definitely runs an extremely high risk of being ignored or just being completely meaningless to the player. They probably won't care or find the lore as interesting as you the writer.

They are much more likely to enjoy or care about reading lore if it's much later into the game and lot of interesting things have already happened. Then they might actually be interested in finding out more details about various things in the world, once they have more context.
author=Dyluck
You specified that this library is going to be EARLY in the game. If so, then too much lore definitely runs an extremely high risk of being ignored or just being completely meaningless to the player. They probably won't care or find the lore as interesting as you the writer.

They are much more likely to enjoy or care about reading lore if it's much later into the game and lot of interesting things have already happened. Then they might actually be interested in finding out more details about various things in the world, once they have more context.

I actually think that putting a thing like this early in the game is an important way of teaching the player that reading a bunch of random books in the game is optional. Like in Pillars of Eternity I remember there being a bunch of random kickstarter-stories everywhere and a lot of them were frontloaded in the first area and after reading through like five or six I quickly realized that these were just random fluff that wasn't actually important so it taught me that it was okay to skip.

A library filled to the brim with long text files is a tutorial showing the player that there's plenty of stuff in the game and that you don't have to interact with all of it just because it glows when you mouseover it.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
You could make the books a collectible containing a sentence of lore each and an empty library accepting donations a sidequest.
Thanks a lot everyone for you inputs. Fresh ideas are always good to explore.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I believe the traditional answer is to put 8 books in your library, which are each 3 sentences long.
This is a late response (not necro-level late, I hope), but one thing you could do is hide all the readable books behind a beleaguered assistant of some kind. The library may be too big to search so the player has to ask for where a book is located, or maybe they're just lazy and expect the books to be fetched for them. Then you can make books available as you wish, adding options as the plot progresses or NPCs make reading suggestions.

Maybe if the player searches the shelves they can get some random book, so you can let them have fun exploring while still indicating there's nothing important to find.
I do not believe that the creator always has the most investment in something like library books added into the game. I think it is usually the opposite for any accomplished writer. The core of 90% of stories is to keep leading the reader on, making them think that there is something interesting to find so they can be impressed even if they do not finish. Usually, the ending sucks if it is a TV Show, game or book. Something like a library is usually just introduced to make a game look polished or to trick the player into thinking that the director/writer knows everything about the world and can write a competent story.

In two of the games I want to make, everything is based around a hub area (they might even be the same place at different time periods). In one of them, which focuses on the hub as the main area for growth and learning, and which is inspired by Persona, you can make time in your schedule for the library, but you can only read a passage from one book. This passage can be very long because it becomes a privilege and you are also prevented from reading anything else that day so they are not stuck trying to read whatever they can at an unnatural pace.
Pages: 1