A.I. GENERATION AND RMN

Hi, my name is John McActiveHere, go play my game. --Tho it's not finished...

Hi, it's me again, don't play my game. Go touch grass.

Anyway, it's a bit early to talk about AI. That still doesn't exist. :) But when it happens, I'm marrying my robot waifu, be it digitally, legally or by the church, and I hope to see you all there.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
ai hardly know her!
author=URPC
Ding ding ding. Though never directly involved, this is why I "soft left" RMN over a year ago. I only stumbled upon this topic by accident, but the attitude I'm seeing in here (at least the first few pages of the topic) is the typical rude and sarcastic behavior that made me roll my eyes and leave without a word in the first place. I'm pressing 40, I don't have the desire or will to spend time on websites were people are always passive aggressive and sarcastic towards each other. Just RMN being RMN as usual, eh?

I agree that we can get annoying especially in contentious topics but then I reread the beginning of the topic (first 4 pages) and i just don't see it being bad at all. Like I'm being 100% serious in when I say I have no idea what's toxic or rude about any of those posts. Like the first RedNova reply is like a jokey jab at no one specific. When I think toxic I think of like actual insults being thrown out, or like being extremely condescending to a harsh degree.
author=Darken
I agree that we can get annoying especially in contentious topics but then I reread the beginning of the topic (first 4 pages) and i just don't see it being bad at all. Like I'm being 100% serious in when I say I have no idea what's toxic or rude about any of those posts. Like the first RedNova reply is like a jokey jab at no one specific. When I think toxic I think of like actual insults being thrown out, or like being extremely condescending to a harsh degree.

If It wasn't a problem, it wouldn't keep coming up. It wouldn't keep happening. I think it's worth examining. Some behavior needs to be curbed here - There's a lot of peeps we don't hear from who would like to interact with our community, but ultimately don't, because of this.

I know. I know a lot of people here don't see our behavior as toxic. But not seeing it as toxic is not gonna stop it from happening. - it's still a problem. they're still leaving. We can argue that it's something else, but they're still leaving.

I'd like to recommend rpgmaker.net as a site where peeps can come here, to learn how to use rpgmaker,
but I currently can't, because we have a behavioral problem and it sucks.

That's all I'm going say on this. It just sucks. That's it.
What is the problem? I need like a post cited here or anything. It's hard to address the symptom if you're going to be vague about it and also avoid it.

If it's an issue with users leaving: as far as I know Sidewinder left because of a rule. He said so in the very first post before even directly interacting. If it's a problem with adminship or rules maybe that it's own problem but idk.

There's not much to work with here, especially with this topic as an example.
It's probably because I drew the line in the sand without having a big discussion topic about it this time but I was sure of the direction we were going to go on this topic and there wasn't any flexibility to be had in regards to it when it came down to what the rule said and does so, frankly, I didn't see a need to let people have a say and sway. They're always free to talk about it but their talking wasn't going to change the outcome this time.

I probably also didn't explain myself well enough before editing the first post to be a little less heavy-handed. My bad. I should have explained a bit more in detail, but I was tired and wanted to get the rule out there after a few examples of AI-generated art and plug-ins were already causing upset.

Personally, I think people had some good points, good questions and while some people got heated - as with most debates - and drew lines of their own, a lot of good information and understanding came out of the discussion. But I guess that's just me. :/
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=Darken
What is the problem? I need like a post cited here or anything. It's hard to address the symptom if you're going to be vague about it and also avoid it.

If it's an issue with users leaving: as far as I know Sidewinder left because of a rule. He said so in the very first post before even directly interacting. If it's a problem with adminship or rules maybe that it's own problem but idk.

There's not much to work with here, especially with this topic as an example.

It's really ironic that it's you saying this
I don't even know what you're referring to that's ironic. Yeah I'm definitely one of the more heated in debates and get carried away. I don't think it's contradictory to want to have a real talk about what's too much. It's probably not going to go anywhere. Call me out but like, give me specifics.
UPRC
I'm pressing 40, I don't have the desire or will to spend time on websites were people are always passive aggressive and sarcastic towards each other.

AI debacle aside, this is one of the things I, pressing 30, have been struggling with through therapy, and the more therapy I do the more I realize people around me engaging in indirect communication (such as sarcasm and passive aggressiveness) as well as attempt to stop myself from such. But I don't think it's an age thing. People are gonna be passive aggressive and sarcastic when they're 90.

Plus, this is a little bit of the nature of game development communities overall. We're mostly introverted, a large portion of us being neurodivergent and investing little time into sociabilities by virtue of our creative pursuit (that's all me btw) so yeah. BTW RMN, thank you for all the dang sweet memories. You guys rock.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
This whole forum was AI generated all along.
JosephSeraph
Plus, this is a little bit of the nature of game development communities overall. We're mostly introverted, a large portion of us being neurodivergent and investing little time into sociabilities by virtue of our creative pursuit (that's all me btw) so yeah. BTW RMN, thank you for all the dang sweet memories. You guys rock.

Having gone to a school for game design, with prospective devs, being taught by people working in the industry and living with a person who wanted to make games like myself, I can say that yeah. Pretty much all of them were at least semi-introverted sarcastic assholes on some level. You just had to find it.

I can't speak to the entirety of it but in my memory this site seems basically chill as hell compared to how things used to be 5 or 10 years ago. I'd tell people to come here if they were making RM games or whatever (if I knew any that weren't here already), but I think I'd assume that at that point they'd already be aware of what they were going to be getting into.

Besides, I see new people in the Discord every month or two and they're always treated well when they're not going out of their way to be a problem. So. ???
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=JosephSeraph
But I don't think it's an age thing. People are gonna be passive aggressive and sarcastic when they're 90.

Can confirm. My 93 year old great aunt would often loudly ponder whether or not we were worth killing every time we told her she couldn't go out clubbing.

Don't worry, she was joking.

most of the time. I think.
11.5 grandmotherquake on the cunter scale detected
I am curious if AI can make an animation sheet or tileset. I am guessing no. At least some extent of RPG Maker should be AI-proof, which is nice. But eventually, that could maybe change.
Damn that is an orthodox stance. But is it the right one?
For artists and others who take pride in making things with their own hands, yes. For people who love to appropriate the environment around them and reoragnize it into their Brand, no. That's the point.

rpgmakerweb (the official website/forum) supports AI-scraped asset use, though.
“They took our jerbzzzz, those damn ai are takin ar jerbz!” -rmn

Nah i’m just playin.

Not a user of the AI generating stuff myself but stumbled upon this post and decided to waste valuable game making time reading it.

Gotta agree with the minority here this seems a bit heavy handed especially the whole retroactive treatment of some projects, as some said old users may have moved on or possibly died, and this will set a dangerous precedent or “slippery slope” moving forward but at the end of the day its your site, your rules.

What really bothered me though is some of the ignorant replies from some users to others who now have to go back and redo possibly hundreds of hours of work, or worse, shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars (i didn’t realise everyone on rmn was so well off), in order to upload/reupload their project.

Like damn guys, have a bit of empathy here at least, you got what you wanted, a ban on ai generated art. Haven’t some of you ever lost hours of work in your projects? Because that’s what’s happening to some of these people.

Was it really hundreds of hours of work to generate an ai image and slap it in your game tho? more like 10 mins

author=Liberty
Was it really hundreds of hours of work to generate an ai image and slap it in your game tho? more like 10 mins

I don't know how long it takes people to do ai art. I do know that artists can take several hours or days to finish one single art piece. I know from personal experience the costs of paying artists to create what you want, and also the time it takes to get it.

Whatever the case may be, there's no reason to be a jackass about it.