[RM2K3] [RM2K] SUDDENLY, RM2K DECIDES TO GIVE UP. WHY.

Pages: 1
This is a weird thing that RM2k and RM2k3 does, I was using my computer yesterday like normal, but when I boot up RM2k or RM2k3, every single key ceases to function at all when it's running in game. And I can still hear music playing and the graphics are fine.

Then when I restart my computer and run it again, everything is fine.

What is that? It's happened to me a lot and I can't figure out what's going on with the programs. It's this weird "RM2k decides to give up" for no real reason.

I have no idea. Ram?? I only had two programs running. Can't be video either.
It's like life came in and said STAP and then it did. 0_________________________0
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Personally, my first suspicion would be an autorun event that includes movement that can't be completed for whatever reason. Barring that, I can't really say for sure, but, if you move the initial player position to different maps, and it works as normal on at least one map... well, that's at least some information to go on!
Hm, well it was stuck on the title screen for some reason. Sorry, shoulda specified that.

Strange.
It's the legendary keyboard buffer bug?

Doing a search for that led me to an old post where Liberty says that pressing the Insert key (next to the Home key, above the Delete key) sometimes fixes the issue.

Beyond that, try running Cherry's keyboard fix:

http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/10970/
Do you have a controller plugged in? They've been known to mess with playing some games. Maybe also check that?
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Zachary_Braun
It's the legendary keyboard buffer bug?

Doing a search for that led me to an old post where Liberty says that pressing the Insert key (next to the Home key, above the Delete key) sometimes fixes the issue.

Beyond that, try running Cherry's keyboard fix:

http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/10970/

I need to try the Insert key the next time this happens to me. I'm sick of having to restart the computer.
Nope. No controller or anything plugged in. It just kinda happens at random. The strangest thing ever. It's like RM2k just locks up completely for.....what reason
I have no idea.
As a corollary to this, I just experienced a keyboard bug myself. Want to leave what happened here for future internet searches.

I was testing my game, when suddenly, the UP directional arrow's input locked. It was as if UP was always being pushed. I thought that I might need to restart, or try one of the methods here, or whatever. I tried pressing the Insert key as mentioned above, but that didn't solve the problem.

RPG Maker 2003 (Tsukuru version), Windows 98.

I paid attention to what I had just been doing. I seem to remember pushing multiple keys in the same keyboard row at a time when this happened.

A long time ago, one of my keyboards failed in such a way that an entire row of keys would often fail to register. Because of this, I came to know that keyboards have microprocessors in them that manage individual rows of keys. Very old keyboards could not handle processing too many rows at once.

Back in the present, I started to mess around with the input. I started to try to unlock the UP input by doing what I seem to remember doing to trigger it: pressing buttons on the same row at the same time.

It eventually worked. After multiple timings of keystrokes and numbers of keystrokes, UP became unlocked.
Weird. No idea on that one.

I've also noticed that you can make the game 'freeze' if you press three or more keys at once during battles. It'll print out a message and then you can press three keys and it'll stop printing. :/ That's another what's going on...
Or sometimes, I guess if your computer is running for a while and then you open up RPG Maker, and in the editor then click test game, nothing works. No key input, sound and image is going but absolutely no key input. I restart my computer, then I do it again, and suddenly it works. What is this, some digital curse from ASCII, Enterbrain, and Kadokawa Games? Very strange.
Pages: 1