OBAMA HATE TRENDS

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Craze, I believe in the man with a white beard in the sky, but I don't believe he's a man with a white beard or is necessarily in the sky. I also consider the people who do believe that he is to be the same people who hung black people even despite that one of the 10 commandments clearly states "Thou shall not kill."

Eh, you are right that I definitely wouldn't be able to fully understand the abuse, though back in high school, when I was a part of a gay-straight alliance club, it did provide me with direct information on what happens in that world.
YDS
member of the bull moose party
I was going to respond to Jives' TOUGH GUY posts, though plenty of people after me worded it quite nicely.

post=124075
I was going to respond to Jives' TOUGH GUY posts, though plenty of people after me worded it quite nicely.

Tough guy posts? Just stating my opinion, thanks. Some of them, anyway.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=124065
Craze, I believe in the man with a white beard in the sky, but I don't believe he's a man with a white beard or is necessarily in the sky. I also consider the people who do believe that he is to be the same people who hung black people even despite that one of the 10 commandments clearly states "Thou shall not kill."

Eh, you are right that I definitely wouldn't be able to fully understand the abuse, though back in high school, when I was a part of a gay-straight alliance club, it did provide me with direct information on what happens in that world.

The problem is that I also think that alliance clubs and gay parades are among the worst ideas ever in terms of forwarding social acceptance (hmm how do we get America to love us? With RAINBOWS EVERYWHERE *Craze vomits).
I always saw it as more of a "hey how do we show people we're their equals? BY CONSCIOUSLY ALIENATING OURSELVES!" but I agree, it's pretty dumb.
I have nothing against gay marriage. I probably wouldn't vote for it, but I'm totally not against it either. At risk of sounding like a huge douche -- I just don't care either way, really. :\

Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
post=124077
The problem is that I also think that alliance clubs and gay parades are among the worst ideas ever in terms of forwarding social acceptance (hmm how do we get America to love us? With RAINBOWS EVERYWHERE *Craze vomits).

Well, they're certainly not going to gain social acceptance by hiding in gay bars.
YDS
member of the bull moose party
Didn't say you weren't.
Craze
My idea of social acceptance is just having it not be an issue, and that gays would look like normal humans instead of rainbow'd fairy freaks.
post=124061
If marriage is religious then why do my agnostic, heterosexual family members get it!?
because civil marriage is the legal concept of marriage as a governmental institution irrespective of religious affiliation, in accordance with marriage laws of the jurisdiction. Marriage was more or less a business agreement between two families who arranged the marriages of their children. Romantic love, and even simple affection, were not considered essential. Plus there's that whole biological drive for a single mate and the human inclination to institutionalize and categorize everything -it would probably be best to be defining marriage in terms of sexual access rights.

As an aside, if the USA is behind the whole separation of church and state thing, why does any religion come into play when deciding who and who can't get married?

EDIT:

What was this topic about again? Oh yeah, Obama. He's aight, I guess. Seems a pretty capable guy.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
The issue has a lot less to do with religion than people like Craze would have us believe. The media gives this idea that every person of any religious convictions wants to burn gays at the stake which is simply not true at all. The loudest people aren't always the majority, they're just the ones in the news. Saying all people of Christian faith hate gays is akin to saying all people of Islamic faith are suicide bombers.

As for the separation of Church and State, it's supposed to be that way, but when your country is full of morons who demand specific religious values of their leaders over say, experience, integrity, or intelligence, that falls apart right quick.
Craze
wut

Religious folk who don't care/are pro-gay union don't want it called "marriage." I find this stupid when agnostics and atheists and Buddhists and every other heterosexual pair with various beliefs can get a "marriage." Also, I never said that all religious people are anti-gay. It just so happens that the anti-gay people I know are all religious.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I know plenty of religious people who are in favor of full rights for gays. You also raise an interesting point about people of other religions being able to be married. Marriage is more a legal arrangement in the US and the wording associated with some religious ceremonies shouldn't really be a part of that definition.

Obama is a pretty cool guy, but you'd never know he was accomplishing anything if you watch the news, which gives the impression that he's a weakling who can't get anything done. Guess we'll have to see how it goes this year.
post=124061
If marriage is religious then why do my agnostic, heterosexual family members get it!?

Like I said with gay "marriage", why are non-religious types getting married? This is in the same category.

I believe marriage is strictly religious. Gay or Straight "marriages" should be called something else IMO.

The only fault is, you see, marriage has became such a broad and general term used for the union of a couple, that we tend to forget it's roots, take it for what it has become, and use it in a way that was never intended a long time ago. So, ergo, a gay marriage is really possible, given todays misuse of the word marriage, but a gay matrimony can't technically happen.

Stephen Colbert: The rainbow is gods way of frowning on the gays.

Anyways, about Barack Obama: He seems to throw money at a lot of issues, money that he doesn't have. Look at the politifact website that was linked to on the first page... It's also composed of many small things and not the big things such as national debt or healthcare that he said he would take care of. Obama made some really amazing and truly outstanding claims, the fear here is not doing what he said he'd do. Just because he can keep a promise on a small thing, it doesn't mean he can keep a promise on a large, more important, higher priority thing.
Depends on how far back you take it.

"Marriage" as a concept pre-dates religion.
Craze
I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE SPEND MONEY ON ISSUES (yes I know this is a summary of the right-wing stance that I typed out mockingly, and that the government doesn't have money (Iraq))

Also, the word "marriage" isn't being misused. It's evolved, just like "gay," "fag," "cool," "sweet," "nigger," etc.
post=124230
Also, the word "marriage" isn't being misused. It's evolved, just like "gay," "fag," "cool," "sweet," "nigger," etc.

Lolwut! OMGZ it has grown limbs!
Craze
Thanks for that.
Quick let's all go back to pining for Romans
The Obama hate reminds me of the Bush hate. It's getting trendier and trendier. Also, gay people can get married, too. Everyone in the United States has the right to marry someone of the opposite gender. Equal rights!