CRAZE'S LET'S PLAY! TOPIC

How much longer until the Vacant Sky Act 1+ LT is finished? I want to see the end of that.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
My illness had an resurgence, I'm a college student, and I've already stated in this thread that I'll do almost all of my updates on weekends. Shut up.

Besides, people say they want to see releases of stuff like In Praise of Peace and then mostly ignore it when it is released, so.
post=203693
It's not finished and it is cancelled so it is low on my list of things to play... but I will get around to it.

Yeah, I find I'm less likely to play something if I know it's never going to get finished...
Craze
Updated with over an hour of Vacant Sky Act 1+!

I have no idea what is going on anymore.

EDIT: Also, Fenrir: First Operation. Sorry, Sam. The text is dull and poorly constructed, the animation is non-existent, and it's a shooter in 2k3. Next time, make an RPG in RPGMaker.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
post=204140
http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/6925/?p=1#postsDid more Let's Trying. I'm, to be honest, not very impressed.
Thanks for all the suggestions, especially about the mapping. I guess when I've been looking at the same maps for 2-3 years, it gets hard to look at them with a fresh perspective. I also understand that the beginning needs to be compressed more (though, to be fair, you can complete East Naven in 5 minutes if you don't do any of the optional content). You're about to start the part of the game that's seen the most heavy revisions in the new version. It's a lot more streamlined from here on out.

I'm not sure what to do with East Naven. I originally planned to axe all of the shopping quests, but several people said they'd rather they be made optional rather than removed altogether.

EDIT: Most of the problems with line spacing and weird line returns is because there are invisible message codes that sometimes take up a lot of space. I'll do what I can to make them more aesthetically pleasing, though.
Craze
I did try to bring up the point that the sidequests are optional whenever I complained about them. They would be made more tolerable if you could move faster.

The biggest issue with the game is that there's no reason to care about what's going on. You're thrown at a continent, I guess, and you have to travel because some random people said so. I think you want a ship? Nothing is really explained at all, and if it is, it's in a really stale manner.

You have a lot of resources available, but you're not using them to their full potential. The game just... isn't very fun after the part where you get to MAKE BLOODY CORPSES with AWESOME DUDES (that have actual personalities).

Auria
Okay.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
post=204163
I did try to bring up the point that the sidequests are optional whenever I complained about them. They would be made more tolerable if you could move faster.

The biggest issue with the game is that there's no reason to care about what's going on. You're thrown at a continent, I guess, and you have to travel because some random people said so. I think you want a ship? Nothing is really explained at all, and if it is, it's in a really stale manner.

You have a lot of resources available, but you're not using them to their full potential. The game just... isn't very fun after the part where you get to MAKE BLOODY CORPSES with AWESOME DUDES (that have actual personalities).

Auria
Okay.
Point taken. The premise for this part of Act I is that you're God-knows-where and you're trying to find a way home. Was that not conveyed well? Or, even if it was, do you have a suggestion as to how to fix it?

EDIT: Also, Auria will become a lot more interesting very soon.
Craze
Yeah, I get the idea that you're trying to get home. That's obvious. It just wasn't... made interesting enough. I don't care about Auria enough. (No, adding melodramatic monologues about her waaah waaah past won't help.)

Here are some suggestions:
-Really play up the Virad. Have lots more people (new people) in town talk about them, have more clues about their presence available, etc. That way people will actually want to go around and figure out what exactly is going on! People will want to know how the intro connects to Random Apathetic Girl. Use this to -
-Lead people to NPCs that help identify the time period, government, technology, etc. of the world. I complained a lot in videos that I had no idea what to expect or know about the setting, meaning that I couldn't grow attached to it. If I'm not attached to a place, I don't care when it's removed.
-Spend waaay more time getting to know Seri/dudeIdon'tremember. Maybe have you watch them collect you in the forest, showing their interactions and developing their personalities. The scene could only be thirty seconds to a minute long and it would really, really help.
-Make Auria less boring. Right now she's an apathetic teenager. Yeah, I'm sure you have Big Development planned for her, but that doesn't mean she can't have a personality. Look at all of the interactions with NPCs again. Do you really want to play as a girl who has conversations like "I have flowers here. "Okay."?

Basically, make your NPCs not suck and liven up Auria. Show the player brief snippets of Seri/Dude (which will also make the transition to the "real" game smoother).

You also have a lot of wasted potential. When Seri become my "translator," I thought she would actually pipe up and interact with villages with Auria. Nope. Look through the game for spots like that where you can apply a layer of polish and pizazz. It's the little things! I know you can do it because of stuff like "steal watch y/n."

EDIT: Have you played Hero's Realm If not, you should because it's hella fun. If so, do you remember the intro to chapter 4? I care more about that random village getting burned than Auria's plight because I already became invested in it. The three-minute (max) scene with a little girl running around saying "hello" to everybody was more powerful than forty minutes of fetch quests.

EDIT2: Also, don't make battle suck plzkthx. You might not be able to do anything about the speed, but the battles were likely too hard for the first area. Also, they aren't interesting. You can't DO anything with two of your three characters. Boooooring.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
post=204169
Yeah, I get the idea that you're trying to get home. That's obvious. It just wasn't... made interesting enough. I don't care about Auria enough. (No, adding melodramatic monologues about her waaah waaah past won't help.)

Here are some suggestions:
-Really play up the Virad. Have lots more people (new people) in town talk about them, have more clues about their presence available, etc. That way people will actually want to go around and figure out what exactly is going on! People will want to know how the intro connects to Random Apathetic Girl. Use this to -
-Lead people to NPCs that help identify the time period, government, technology, etc. of the world. I complained a lot in videos that I had no idea what to expect or know about the setting, meaning that I couldn't grow attached to it. If I'm not attached to a place, I don't care when it's removed.
-Spend waaay more time getting to know Seri/dudeIdon'tremember. Maybe have you watch them collect you in the forest, showing their interactions and developing their personalities. The scene could only be thirty seconds to a minute long and it would really, really help.
-Make Auria less boring. Right now she's an apathetic teenager. Yeah, I'm sure you have Big Development planned for her, but that doesn't mean she can't have a personality. Look at all of the interactions with NPCs again. Do you really want to play as a girl who has conversations like "I have flowers here. "Okay."

Basically, make your NPCs not suck and liven up Auria. Show the player brief snippets of Seri/Dude (which will also make the transition to the "real" game smoother).

You also have a lot of wasted potential. When Seri become my "translator," I thought she would actually pipe up and interact with villages with Auria. Nope. Look through the game for spots like that where you can apply a layer of polish and pizazz. It's the little things!

EDIT: Have you played Hero's Realm If not, you should because it's hella fun. If so, do you remember the intro to chapter 4? I care more about that random village getting burned than Auria's plight because I already became invested in it. The three-minute (max) scene with a little girl running around saying "hello" to everybody was more powerful than forty minutes of fetch quests.
-I see your point about the Virad. There was one minor thing you missed in East Naven; if you explore the town at night before going to the train station, the mask in the park will be gone and you'll see a Virad in the park briefly. I'll work them into more dialogues.
-Fair point about the NPCs and setting. I kind of left it to the library for that, but there are some NPCs who could use more interesting dialogue.
-Actually, that scene you just described with Seri/Zaqris was in the original version, but a lot of people suggested removing it. That kind of leads me to my big conundrum with Act I; I really wish I could find some way to streamline it better since the game's pacing, story, and characters improve so much once you get past Alibaas. I really dislike this part of the game (and it probably shows) and have been frustrated for a long time by trying to come up with a way to either shorten it or make it more interesting.

EDIT: One thing that it seems you didn't pick up on is that you're fully healed when you go to a save point. It seemed you were struggling to get through Danjen Pass because you couldn't heal, but there's a save point right by where you started. Battles do improve significantly once you level up, which is when you start being able to customize Auria. Also, you seemed confused that Zaqris had no healing abilities. When you first get him, it says that he develops healing abilities, not that he has them.

EDIT2: I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to play, critique, and offer suggestions. I really want to improve the game and getting this kind of detailed critique is very helpful.
Craze
Maybe cut out the entire podunk village, then.

-Auria gets shot
-Cue cool-looking flashes and pentagrams and yeah
-Cut the weird hall thing into about 1/3 of what it is ("go see blonde dude. Pick what you want in a show choice menu. Bye-bye")
-Show a short scene with Seri/Dude interacting and finding Auria
-Maybe a fade-to-black exposition scene where Auria says "so these guys found me, I had to stay in some shitty podunk town but now we're heading north to B-land so I can get a ship"
-Start at beginning of (much easier) dungeon with less enemies; do the little battle tutorials in certain parts around the dungeon
-THEN you get to where I stopped for the day

That would cut out a lot of the trivial shit and get the player into the action faster.

EDIT: Fair point about "develops" healing abilities. However, have a tutorial about save points healing you, then (or did you...?). A reminder certainly wouldn't hurt.
Craze
DOUBLE POST ZOMG.

Hey guys.

This is the kind of feedback/critique/peer review that you need to have in order to make not-shitty games. Slapping some Rudras on a map isn't enough; you need somebody to tear your game apart. All of your games would be better if you got - and acted on - feedback like this.

So, start giving it to each other, and make your games better.

Disclaimer: My Fenrir LT sucks. I'm talking about the discussions between Sailerius and myself (and kind of Dark Gaia and myself, but few people see those). Deckiller also gets a shout-out for taking criticism and feedback extraordinarily well, but most of that was on AIM.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
post=204173
Maybe cut out the entire podunk village, then.

-Auria gets shot
-Cue cool-looking flashes and pentagrams and yeah
-Cut the weird hall thing into about 1/3 of what it is ("go see blonde dude. Pick what you want in a show choice menu. Bye-bye")
-Show a short scene with Seri/Dude interacting and finding Auria
-Maybe a fade-to-black exposition scene where Auria says "so these guys found me, I had to stay in some shitty podunk town but now we're heading north to B-land so I can get a ship"
-Start at beginning of (much easier) dungeon with less enemies; do the little battle tutorials in certain parts around the dungeon
-THEN you get to where I stopped for the day

That would cut out a lot of the trivial shit and get the player into the action faster.

EDIT: Fair point about "develops" healing abilities. However, have a tutorial about save points healing you, then (or did you...?). A reminder certainly wouldn't hurt.

Actually, that gives me an interesting idea. After you meet up with Seri and Zaqris, I could have it skip past Alibaas and have Auria retell what happened with photo vignettes. There are some important moments of character development and foreshadowing that would skip, but I could probably incorporate it into the Banivia segment.

I think part of the reason this part is so uninteresting is because it shows through that I dislike it and I'm just trying to rush you through to the next part. I think the game might benefit a lot from just summarizing it.
During the dragonlands boss fight I was screaming POW HAMMER. I play tales of Phantasia on my GBA with the sound on. Mint's voice was so funny when you set her to full power physical because pow hammer was her only physical move besides basic attack.
*Buries head in hands*
Well, I can't say your complaints weren't justified
Craze
Pokemaniac

Please give me a list of substitutions for "gross" for use in my next LT videos.
Bad
Yuck
Ugly
Foul
Disgusting
Poor
Horrid
Wretched
Sickening
Atrocious
Sucky

Just off the top of my head (yes most of those word are pretty "gross", I realize)

(also I have nothing against you saying gross every 5 seconds despite how my comment sounded I just find the way you say it kinda funny)
heinous, revolting, greivous

gross every 5 seconds is better than basically.
post=206157
heinous, revolting, greivous

gross every 5 seconds is better than basically.
I was just about to add revolting''

EDIT: And since YM jumped ship and fled the country or w/e, could you consider doing a LT of Parallel? Your honest critiques are what I need.