CRAZE'S LET'S PLAY! TOPIC

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=207924
post=207914
"But....I....brother....I....I...just..."(i.e. 90% of rpgmaker dialogue)
I beg to disagree.

You are begging for the right to be incorrect, sir.
To be fair a lot of it is also "You burned my village down, I'll get you bastards!" and of course "NOOOOOOOOO!"
Actually 45% of RPG Maker dialogue is like that, another 45% is more in the realm of "oh no my village has been burnt down it must have been a demon" and the last 10% is actually passable.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
post=207928
post=207924
post=207914
I beg to disagree.

That's strange, because typically the games that I play don't abuse the hell out of ellipses.
post=207932
post=207928
post=207924
post=207914
I beg to disagree.
That's strange, because typically the games that I play don't abuse the hell out of ellipses.
You're playing the wrong right games then.
Craze
You are playing the ones that make you want to play them.
I always find it hilarious that the people who are the harshest on RPG Maker (and its games/fanbase) are people who actually use the program. If the number of "good" projects are so minuscule...then what does that say about your own projects? ;p

I've seen and played through a lot of freeware games, and the ratio of suckitude is about the same (depending on the genre).
To be fair, I have now removed 90% of the ellipses, though not in the currently downloadable version.
Craze
Except YES in the downloadable version!

New version, new Let's Try session of Legionwood. I'll try to do more tomorrow; I have a bunch of homework and Four Heroes of Light, though.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Are you really doing Forever's End? No offense to NicoB, but he's been getting a heaping ton of feedback for that game.
I'm watcing Legionwood now. Hmm... I really thought I'd fixed the REFMAP tiles. Duh, stupid me, I actually must have forgotten to replace the Tile E.

Nice to see that the level cap script is no longer making all enemies have 1 HP.

I really need to fix the caterpillar though. It's really ugly! I'm no scripter so I have no idea how. If you can do me a favour, can you open up the game in VX and look at the script for me? Maybe you'll know what to do.

Also, I'm aware that I really need to work on the writing in some areas. I figured you were most concerned about the ellipses, so I uploaded the version with them removed and now I intend to sit down and rewrite a lot of the cutscenes from scratch. The game pretty much runs off a dialogue script I wrote in 2008, so that would explain the poor quality.

And I must be pretty bad at RPGs... When I say that the game is difficult, it's actually because I personally found it challenging (for example Efreet killed me). But of course, I was test playing it to make sure it worked, not to get overpowered. But I digress.

Pins of Creation are used to open up the optional uberboss' dungeon.

The holes in the ship... I really don't know why they're there. Let's chalk it down to the fact that the ship has been damaged in the squall.

Wentz cannot ever leave the party - but Clancy sure can.

Also, I think I might add some different enemy types to the castle and ship areas. They're the only areas in the game that have only one enemy type.

Damn, I thought I removed the countdown from the Hydra fight. It makes no sense. Oh well, I'll have to make sure I do it.

EDIT: In response to your comment about the missing and evading being reminiscent of DnD, you are correct; we played Legionwood as a DnD campaign years ago and I wanted to somehow preserve the combat. I'll admit it is annoying though.
post=209174
Are you really doing Forever's End? No offense to NicoB, but he's been getting a heaping ton of feedback for that game.

None taken. You're right, I've definitely been getting a ton of feedback lately. However, I didn't request Craze to do this. He said he'd play the next version when that came out. You and Locke were the only ones I requested.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
post=209197
post=209174
None taken. You're right, I've definitely been getting a ton of feedback lately. However, I didn't request Craze to do this. He said he'd play the next version when that came out. You and Locke were the only ones I requested.

Ah, okay. Yeah, makes sense that you'd like people to test out the next few hours.
Craze
Yeah, I'm not doing it until the newest version is released.

Dark Gaia: D&D is not a videogame. Remember this. =D
Craze
Two things: I stealth-released a third session of Legionwood yesterday, and also I'm going to be doing Alter AILA: Genesis soon. I wasn't going to (just play it normally), but... it's necessary.
I'm waiting for your AAG LT more then anything else atm.
Craze
It won't be for a while. I still have roughly ten hours left of Legionwood, as well as life!
Oh! I'll watch session 3 right now! Also, I've edited the dialogue you told me to and I'm uploading another minor update.

And D&D is a videogame... Baldur's Gate anyone? But I get your meaning. In all fairness I kind of had no idea what I was doing early on in Legionwood's development.

Also, might I ask why you have Legionwood listed as "completed"? Have you stopped playing it?

Please try not to be too upset by the dialogue. As I said, I'm rewriting it, but like you I have a life so it's taking a very long time so I'm forced to just release minor updates with dialogue intact in the meantime. I've got final exams in like a week.

Yes, the game does cater to stupid people. Believe it or not, one of my real life friends who tested it had no idea how to play an RPG and couldn't fight and kept getting lost and couldn't understand the story. When I was 16, I had a thing for trying to do overly dramatic writing, and you can see the results. Also, the game did originate on RRR.

Damn it, did I somehow get mixed up and continue working on an old version or not save changes? Grudge Holder is supposed to open with a move that kills you in the first turn. I should really make sure I save these things. Build 5 was supposed to have that change.

Hmm... The idea behind the "you read the waypost" comment is that it's meant to be something a DM would say. Kind of like in Fallout when messages pop up that say "you see..." or "you open the door" even though it's fairly obvious. Lazy eventing is why you can read the post from any direction. I swear you're nitpicking now, but it's helpful nonetheless.

I thought I killed that overlay. Checking... Damn, why the hell did I put two events to show it. Thus, I nuke only one and it remains. Stupid!

Pounding is a rather nasty move at the best of times... It hit Alexis so hard because she has low defense. You should have spent some AP on defense by now. Stupidly, I balance my enemies based on the strength of my party as I'm playing. I spent AP on defense. I might reduce the power of that move.

But... Why don't you actually buy armor and skills? No wonder your Defense sucks! When you get to the blacksmith, upgrade your armor! Buy Techs! /end mock rage

Seriously, if you're gonna rely on equipment you just find in chests, you won't have enough to go around. That equipment's mainly there if a.) spent money on skills and couldn't afford to upgrade anyone or b.) it's slightly better equipment you haven't been able to buy yet. Great job staying alive though! I seriously felt tense watching those battles.

An Undead dungeon's coming up and Crumble will be your best friend there. There's another in Chapter 3 and another in Chapter 4.

Tankentai sucks... Which is why the sequel doesn't use it.

I never encountered that lag though. No idea what that was.

I'll watch the rest of Session 3 tomorrow... I have some stuff to do right now.

P.S

Thought you all might like to know...

Why the character buffs are so expensive

I originally had them cost 3 SP each, but then I realised, that with me having spent all my AP on Thyrra's Intellect and Lann's Attack, a 25% stat boost was A LOT. Seriously, casting a single buff makes you overpowered in Legionwood. Think about it.
Craze
I haven't bought anything since I haven't been able to for three dungeons. :<
Sailerius
did someone say angels
post=209768
Oh! I'll watch session 3 right now! Also, I've edited the dialogue you told me to and I'm uploading another minor update.

And D&D is a videogame... Baldur's Gate anyone? But I get your meaning. In all fairness I kind of had no idea what I was doing early on in Legionwood's development.

Also, might I ask why you have Legionwood listed as "completed"? Have you stopped playing it?

Please try not to be too upset by the dialogue. As I said, I'm rewriting it, but like you I have a life so it's taking a very long time so I'm forced to just release minor updates with dialogue intact in the meantime. I've got final exams in like a week.

Yes, the game does cater to stupid people. Believe it or not, one of my real life friends who tested it had no idea how to play an RPG and couldn't fight and kept getting lost and couldn't understand the story. When I was 16, I had a thing for trying to do overly dramatic writing, and you can see the results. Also, the game did originate on RRR.

Damn it, did I somehow get mixed up and continue working on an old version or not save changes? Grudge Holder is supposed to open with a move that kills you in the first turn. I should really make sure I save these things. Build 5 was supposed to have that change.

Hmm... The idea behind the "you read the waypost" comment is that it's meant to be something a DM would say. Kind of like in Fallout when messages pop up that say "you see..." or "you open the door" even though it's fairly obvious. Lazy eventing is why you can read the post from any direction. I swear you're nitpicking now, but it's helpful nonetheless.

I thought I killed that overlay. Checking... Damn, why the hell did I put two events to show it. Thus, I nuke only one and it remains. Stupid!

Pounding is a rather nasty move at the best of times... It hit Alexis so hard because she has low defense. You should have spent some AP on defense by now. Stupidly, I balance my enemies based on the strength of my party as I'm playing. I spent AP on defense. I might reduce the power of that move.

But... Why don't you actually buy armor and skills? No wonder your Defense sucks! When you get to the blacksmith, upgrade your armor! Buy Techs! /end mock rage

Seriously, if you're gonna rely on equipment you just find in chests, you won't have enough to go around. That equipment's mainly there if a.) spent money on skills and couldn't afford to upgrade anyone or b.) it's slightly better equipment you haven't been able to buy yet. Great job staying alive though! I seriously felt tense watching those battles.

An Undead dungeon's coming up and Crumble will be your best friend there. There's another in Chapter 3 and another in Chapter 4.

Tankentai sucks... Which is why the sequel doesn't use it.

I never encountered that lag though. No idea what that was.

I'll watch the rest of Session 3 tomorrow... I have some stuff to do right now.

P.S

Thought you all might like to know...

Why the character buffs are so expensive

I originally had them cost 3 SP each, but then I realised, that with me having spent all my AP on Thyrra's Intellect and Lann's Attack, a 25% stat boost was A LOT. Seriously, casting a single buff makes you overpowered in Legionwood. Think about it.
To be fair, if Craze isn't doing it without you demanding it of him, how can you expect any other player to know to do it?